Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,889

1 members and 2,888 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Has desert female breeding got anywhere?

Seems to me like a classic argument of the Optimist vs the Pessimist, with the Realist stuck somewhere in the middle.

I think it doesn't make the Optimists look good to see illogical arguments used to try and sway folks to their way of thinking. Genetics certainly CAN play into fertility in any number of ways from hormonal production to physical deformities of the reproductive organs that we might not ever see from the outside. And it doesn't make much sense to suggest that so many breeders are being successful and keeping it a secret just for profit's sake. Doesn't make sense at all.

I don't need those kinds of arguments to still be an optimist. If I were in a position to do so, I'd be glad to have a female desert in my collection and plans to work with her over the long term to see what might happen. I'm hopelessly and eternally optimistic about stuff like that.

All the doomsayer arguments don't matter to me...but on the flipside, I don't feel any compelling need to convince anyone else to have "hope" for desert females.

Folks, by nature, will believe what they want to believe. Us optimists still hold out hope, however illogical that may seem to some. Pessimists have given up altogether and are convinced that no good will come of desert females, however illogical that stance may be as well. The Realists do a better job of weighing the evidence before them, and I can understand that the evidence, as it is currently being presented, weighs heavily against the girls being viably productive.

I think a large part of my optimism comes from the fact that I don't believe the evidence, as it is currently argued on typical internet forums, is particularly accurate. It's exaggerated and full of hyperbole as rumors and "statistics" get passed along as absolute fact, when the truth is no one really knows. BUT...that's just my personal little inner picture of how all this is playing out. What others make of it is entirely up to them and doesn't bother me a bit.
    -- Judy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

meowmeowkazoo (04-28-2012),Slim (04-28-2012)

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    I agree that most of the arguments get a little blown out, but there have been a few very well written and documented cases that do not look good at all for the optimists in this case.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jinx667 View Post
    I agree that most of the arguments get a little blown out, but there have been a few very well written and documented cases that do not look good at all for the optimists in this case.
    Sure...but that's kind of the definition of an optimist, don't you think? To still have hope when things don't "look good."

Is the optimist always right? Nope. But sometimes we are.
    -- Judy

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks
    I completely agree with Judy. If I had the cash, I would probably invest in at least one desert female just because I am very optimistic about them. I can think of so many things I would like to try, and just the experience of working with a morph that isn't fully understood yet would be fascinating.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Sure...but that's kind of the definition of an optimist, don't you think? To still have hope when things don't "look good."

Is the optimist always right? Nope. But sometimes we are.
    I think it is OK to be optimistic, but I think that it has gotten to the point of some folks deliberately trying to keep rumors afloat that they can produce, or that someone has made progress, just to keep the project afloat and prices up.

That is not optimism, it is poor business practice (ethically, not monetarily I guess).

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    with the Realist stuck somewhere in the middle.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Registered User Lair of Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think it is OK to be optimistic, but I think that it has gotten to the point of some folks deliberately trying to keep rumors afloat that they can produce, or that someone has made progress, just to keep the project afloat and prices up.

That is not optimism, it is poor business practice (ethically, not monetarily I guess).
    I totally agree with this...thats the whole reason I never owned a Desert or the gene till eairler this week...they may never ever prove to reproduce...which would be a shame...
    I am treating the female I got just like a "Dinker" with a wild pattern...and it would be great if someone has the answers they would publish it...
    I just have a feeling a breeder out there has done it but wants to re-test their findings to make sure it wasnt a fluke.
    Its either me being hopeful or hard headed...been accused of both before.
    Travis
    Lair of Dragons
    To many Ball Python morphs to list but don't own enough......YET!

Thanks

Whichever way it goes doesn't concern me, as the Desert isn't on my radar at all. I really do hope, and would love to see some females successfully breed...mostly for the sake of those who've bought them with no clue about possible issues...and I'm sure there are plenty of them.

And Travis, you may be right...I don't think I would be in such a hurry to come out with it if I had a Desert female lay a viable clutch. The heat that would come along with it alone wouldn't be worth it, IMO...I'd want to work it a little further.

There very well may be a good clutch that has been laid out there....

Even so, it would take a lot more than a few good clutches to undo the damage.

Thanks
    So if i were to buy a male desert and breed him too say a pastel, and I got a pastel desert female. would the double gene female still be unable too breed?
    bumblebee
    Pastel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonOutlaw View Post
    So if i were to buy a male desert and breed him too say a pastel, and I got a pastel desert female. would the double gene female still be unable too breed?
    Adding genes does not appear to help.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Royal Hijinx For This Useful Post:

Slim (04-29-2012)

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast