Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,725

2 members and 1,723 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: On Strike

Thanks
    I have a common question that I need some help with.

Clarice is on strike. She's acting healthy, curious when I take her out, seems to be in good health, & no more mites (so far). But she won't eat.

She hasn't eaten in about a month. She looks ok. Just not showing any interest in eating. I've only had her about 2 months. Her first month, she was eating a large mouse about once a week. About a month ago, she started refusing food. I've tried live mice, stunned mice, killed mice, f/t rats, brained rats. Nothing. She just shys away from everything.

I've got her in a 20 gallon long. It's got a heating pad under one end (set on low), a hide on one end and a water bowl on the other. She prefers to hide under her water bowl for some reason. I've tried a couple of different hides, but she always goes to the water bowl.

Aspen bedding.

The room temperature is a pretty constant 80 to 90 degrees. Humidy around 50%.

What am I doing wrong? Am I doing anything wrong? Is she just being a typical BP? I know that some of my tarantulas will go on hunger strikes for months for no apparent reason. Maybe Clarice is just not up to eating?

Any advise will be appreciated.

Marcus
    Chance Favors the Prepared Mind

http://www.four-feathers-photography.com

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

On Strike

i'd say ur doing everything just right
    the snake is full grown right???
    if so it is perfectly normal for bps to go off of feed for the winter months
    i had one that went 4 months without eating
    as long as there isn't muscle loss and she looks strong and healthy i wouldnt worry too much about it
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

Thanks
    Yeah, it's just winter time, nothing to worry about. Just stereotypical bp stubbornness
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

Thanks
    I don't think she's quite full grown. She's about 2 feet or so and about as big around as a large mouse or small rat.

I hope that she doesn't go on strike for the winer. The winters are long here in Colorado.

Marcus

Thanks
    I guess as long as she looks healthy I wouldnt be to worried (and this comes from a worry wart). But if worst came to worst you could allways assist feed.

I thought my BP would go off feed for the winter, but so far he show's no signs of slowing down.
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    bubba's on strike too. has been for almost a month, and he's 10 times more active than peanut is. it boggles me, so don't worry you aren't alone on this one.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    I'm trying to switch her over from live mice to f/t rats. Is trying to switch her over during her strike a good idea? Or should I wait til she's hungry again, give her a small mouse and try and tempt her with a rat? Or should I just keep trying with the rats and refuse to give in to her stubborness?

Marcus

Thanks
    Wish I knew what to tell ya. But personally I think when she get's hungry enough she will eat. If she is anything like my BP she may stay stubborn and only except what she is use to. My BP has only been fed live mice his entire life and he is approx. 2 - 2 1/2 yrs old (so i have been told because of his length) And though I only tried once, he did not appreciate the dead mouse that I put in a couple of weeks ago. He just flicked his tounge at it a couple of times and left it there. 2 hours later I took it out and put in a live one in and he hit it within 15 seconds after it was introduced to him.
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

Thanks
    I think I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have any trouble switching over to f/t rats. Both my snakes were on live mice, Eleanor took an f/t rat after a few weeks, and Vincent took the first one I offered a few days after I got him home. I think if you wait 'til she's hungry again she may be hungry enough to take anything. Eleanor had a color issue for a while where she wouldnt eat anything that wasn't white, but she got hungry enough and after that first black rat. now she's not a picky eater at all. I say just wait it out, and good luck!
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Marcus