Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,392

5 members and 3,387 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shedding

Thanks
    How long does it take a bp to shed? Ribbon's skin started getting scratchy-ish about a week ago, and last Wednesday her eyes were looking cloudy and you could see little flakes starting to come off. Not much change until today, when I took her out her face skin was lying on the bottom of the tank, but that's all she's shed so far. How long do you think it'll be until she's done?

Emily

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It's normally a two week process, from when their skin starts getting scratchy until the time they shed. If she already shed her face off, make sure her eye caps came with it and bump up the humidity (mist the tank or put her in her water bowl to soak). She'll do it on her own, just leave her be for today until she sheds. She should be just fine.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mine takes a week from start to finish, I think there is good info in the caresheet.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    usually when i notice the skin start to crack on the tip of the snakes nose it takes an hour or two.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    She still hasn't shed, and I tried soaking her in water and I've been misting the tank since I noticed she was shedding two weeks ago. The care sheet said to slide the skin off of her... but it's not sliding. Any advice? SHould I just wait?
    Emily

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I would just wait, snakes have a tendency of doing these things on their own. If you can see the actual skin sitting there, not coming off; then I would say try rubbing it off gently with your hands again. I have had to do this before, it works pretty well. But since you say it isn't coming off, that probably means it isn't ready to come off. Just wait awhile longer. When you tried rubbing the skin off, did you start from the neck? It's most likely not going to work if you don't start from the neck, or the point in which the skin stopped coming off.

Jennifer

Thanks
    lol I tried but unsurprisingly she didn't want me rubbing the back of her head. =)

Emily

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yeah, they don't like it, but it is for the best. If you don't want to, then don't. She will most likely do it on her own. Another thing I could suggest that has worked for me, is put her in a rubbermaid if you have one. You could either fill it with water and just have her soak, or fill it with some water, and put a wad of paper towels in there so when she is going to finish shedding, she has something to rub on. Both have worked for me. And when you put her in there, if you notice her starting to shed, you could finish helping her out. Leave her in there most of the day unless you see that she shed quickly.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    here's what i've done in the past and its worked for me well

i soak a towel in luke warm water and fill a rubbermaid or bath tub up with about 2 inches of water. let the snake crawl through the water soaked towel and "play" in the tub for 20-30 mins then just take the wet towel and gently rub the skin off
    good luck
    Girlfriend: Your room smells like reptile!!!
    Me: Are you saying my balls smell??

Thanks
    It's day 3 of her skin being flaky and hanging off but not coming off. I've been soaking her every day, is there anything else I should do?

Emily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast