Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,084

0 members and 3,084 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Condas

Thanks

My Condas

hello folks havnt used this forum in a whil so i thought id throw up a few updated pics of what i keep...

this is my green, he is a psyco and have only made it through one handling session without getting bitten and this guy doesnt bite just the once lol...

this is my little yellow, she shed over the weekend so managed to get a few snaps of her, she made life a bit difficult tho as i startled her when trying to find her a she was all burrowed away sleeping so she took a couple of swipes at me, lucky for me she missed but unluckily for her she got a mouthfull of bark which i had to fish out with a pair of tweezers but thankfully she took this quite well.

i made the mistake once before of putting this girl in a tub while doing maintenance in her tank and she came out like a lunatic so now we have an understanding and she coils up around my arm while i do everything from changing substrate to washing out water bowls and generally running about the house, this is anaconda bracelet, gloves are just for cleaning not handling...

heres some other pics i snapped while she was out...

thanks for looking...
    0.1.0 red tailed racer
    1.0.0 green anaconda
    0.1.0 yellow anaconda
    1.1.0 false water cobras
    0.0.2 amazon tree boas
    0.1.0 salmon hypo boa
    2.0.0 common boas
    0.1.0 tai beauty
    1.0.0 american akita

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Very cool snakes.... Thanks for sharing.
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonboy4578 For This Useful Post:

ding ding (04-26-2012)

Thanks
    Nice pictures. I really like the green one. Did he try to bite the camera at all?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HauntedBanshee For This Useful Post:

ding ding (04-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thaknks guys! The green is mental like, he never went for the camera he just likes to eat me.

Sometimes you pick him up, he will just go crazy thrashing about biting anything he can get his teeth into and others he is so calm, will let ya pick him up no bother and then randomly will just turn and bite then carry on about his business as if nothing happened.

These guys are a bit harder to read than most of the stuff i work with as they dont adopt the usual strike pose and can bite by swinging their head round 90 degrees so they can get you tfrom any angle. Its all about the tongue with these guys, you can tell kinda whats goin through their heads by how they are flicking the tongue.

He is getting better tho, i had to remove alot of stuck shed as he has a few scars on him from before i got him so makes shedding a bit difficult for him i was poking and pulling at him for a good 20 mins and he didnt bite once so hopefully im gaining a bit of trust from him.

makes alot of difference from the 1st time i picked hinm up as i got this for my troubles...
    0.1.0 red tailed racer
    1.0.0 green anaconda
    0.1.0 yellow anaconda
    1.1.0 false water cobras
    0.0.2 amazon tree boas
    0.1.0 salmon hypo boa
    2.0.0 common boas
    0.1.0 tai beauty
    1.0.0 american akita

Thanks
    wow..thats incredible...are most anacondas mean like that?
    Loads of balls around here
    1.0 Hubby, 1.0 New Son, 1.0 Dachshund

Thanks
    I love feisty snakes!! It seems like anacondas can calm down, but they also don't give clear warning signs. Does the tongue flick more when they're excited?

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

Thanks
    Ancondas do have a reputation for being agressive, especially the yellows, but there are exceptions to the rule.

From what i have gathered from my own experience and talking with other conda keepers, generally if you have a calm one from birth they should stay that way with regular interaction but the flip side to this is that if you get a crazy one from birth you have little hope of changing their attitude.

I have been lucky with my yellow, she was cb and the only time she bit me was the first time i picked her up at the breeders and was warned that they handnt really been handled so it was to be expected but i brought her home, let her settle for a week and started handling and she has only even tried to nail me once and thats cos i spooked her. I can go in and lift her out anytime and she is totally fine, she will have a wee cruise about then usually just coils round my wrist like in the pic and i can literally do anything and she just perches there.

The green on the other hand was wc and has some bad scarring on him, will try and get some pics to show the extent, so i think he has had a very bad experience at one point and has severe trust issues due to it. You cant pick him up like a normal snake, as soon as he feels any kind of grip he freaks and starts thrashing and biting wildly. I have to scoop him and let him grip me to get him out of the viv then just jently slide my hand under him as he moves, touch him the wrong way in the slightest then bam your bleeding again and usually from more than one bite, this guy doesnt just bite once he chomps repeatedly as many times as he can, not nice!

I have noticed this with him and some other species, especially my red tailed racer that the tongue plays a big part in showing you what the snake is thinking. If its darting in and out fast then this generally means the snake is relaxed, inqusitive and just tasting the air around it but if the they are starting to get agitated they will hold it out an roll it super slow so it will reach round under their chin and and then back up and touch the top tf their head it wont flick in and out they kinda cold it out rolling it at you. this is a warning sign. I can be comical to watch but it generally means you are going to get bit any minute. When i see this tongue action i just stop whatever im doing and stay motionless, after a while you will see the tongue start to flick again and this is the sign to say that the are feeling more relaxed again and hopefully you avoid the bite. Its not foolproof but it seems to be working for me.
    0.1.0 red tailed racer
    1.0.0 green anaconda
    0.1.0 yellow anaconda
    1.1.0 false water cobras
    0.0.2 amazon tree boas
    0.1.0 salmon hypo boa
    2.0.0 common boas
    0.1.0 tai beauty
    1.0.0 american akita

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ding ding For This Useful Post:

Valentine Pirate (04-26-2012)

Thanks
    The greens will get bigger than the yellows right? How old are those two now?

Thanks
    yellows go around 6-10 for males and 8-12 for females

greens go around 8-12 for males and 12-18 for females

these are pure estimates like, there is no garuntee what they will finish up at, could be bigger or smaller.
    0.1.0 red tailed racer
    1.0.0 green anaconda
    0.1.0 yellow anaconda
    1.1.0 false water cobras
    0.0.2 amazon tree boas
    0.1.0 salmon hypo boa
    2.0.0 common boas
    0.1.0 tai beauty
    1.0.0 american akita

Thanks
    not too bad. your setups just for current size, or can it handle their maximum growth?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast