Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

0 members and 2,826 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    These birds are absolutely amazing creatures. Just gorgeous.

I'm so glad she ended up in your hands, where she can be loved like she should've been. I used to breed Lovebirds and cannot believe how people treat these immensely intelligent animals.

She has such a sweet face and kind eyes. Even if she ends up bald, at least it sounds like she's having so much more pleasure in life now. I'm happy to follow this thread for updates
    - Danielle

Snakes are just tails with faces....
    1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vasiliki For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (04-26-2012)

Thanks

Re: Evelyn - Vosmari Eclectus

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliki View Post
    These birds are absolutely amazing creatures. Just gorgeous.

I'm so glad she ended up in your hands, where she can be loved like she should've been. I used to breed Lovebirds and cannot believe how people treat these immensely intelligent animals.

She has such a sweet face and kind eyes. Even if she ends up bald, at least it sounds like she's having so much more pleasure in life now. I'm happy to follow this thread for updates
    Unfortunately, she needs to learn how to play with toys and explore the rest of her cage. She sits next to her food dish all day and just stares. I put the TV on for her today, so she has something else to keep her occupied. I'm afraid that since some of her feathers are growing in she will pluck them from boredom, because she never learned how to play and keep herself entertained.

She definitely has funny noises I am not accustomed to yet. Only one loud call, that happens about twice a day, which I'm learning is sort of a 'Oh hey! Hello!' or a 'Hey, don't forget me!'. Most of the time she sounds like a dog toy. lol. Definitely still a sweetheart.

Thanks
    Do you think she'd respond to foraging type toys? Or even clipping treats to different parts of the cage?

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine Pirate View Post
    Do you think she'd respond to foraging type toys? Or even clipping treats to different parts of the cage?
    Clipping treats is a great idea. I wonder if I can't use little cups to put little bits of her food in around the cage and encourage some foraging and exercise (can't really clip the food directly, as most of it is soft and mushy). She has plastic toys, and toys that shred, made of different types of paper and wood. Natural toys, colorful toys, natural branches, rope branch, etc. Lots of variety.. but maybe she will be motivated if I place her food all over instead of just in her dish. I also don’t think she’s had any water since we have had her. She can reach her water bowl no problem, but I think she’s just been getting her water from her food. She does not seem dehydrated, but I am keeping a close eye on her.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anatopism View Post
    Unfortunately, she needs to learn how to play with toys and explore the rest of her cage. She sits next to her food dish all day and just stares. I put the TV on for her today, so she has something else to keep her occupied. I'm afraid that since some of her feathers are growing in she will pluck them from boredom, because she never learned how to play and keep herself entertained.

She definitely has funny noises I am not accustomed to yet. Only one loud call, that happens about twice a day, which I'm learning is sort of a 'Oh hey! Hello!' or a 'Hey, don't forget me!'. Most of the time she sounds like a dog toy. lol. Definitely still a sweetheart.
    I had a female Lovie that came to me with similar anti-toy mannerisms. Gentleman who bought her had her as his 'baby girl' for a few years. Then met his wife, who had two young boys, and they were having a baby together too. The bird, named Tweaky, was put 'away'.... Into a closet for over a year. Yes, I'm serious. When I went over to see her, he pulled her out and she was just a wreck. No feather plucking, but skinny, dull feathers and terrified. The boys immediately started banging on the cage and yelling at her.

When we brought her home, she would just cower on this one perch and not move for hours. What we eventually did was bring treats close to her and clip them if we could. We removed the 'busy' toys and had one simple toy close to her, with a few other toys on the further side of the cage. Lots of perches, and textures (fuzzy things, like a fleece happy hut we make). Her favorite toy? A bell. A simple, on a chain, hanging from the top of the cage in front of her bell. I would ring it and she'd look at me so weird. I'd slowly swing it a bit (hand in the cage at this point) and, again, she would just be unsure of it.

One day we came home to the noise of the bell ringing. Violently. Walked into our bird room and there was Tweaky, bashing it around like a boxer. She was growling at it! Hahaha. It was so cute.

With her we had to start really simple so as not to overwhelm her. Get her used to one toy, and the concept of it, then add a new one or two. Took about a year for her to finally break out of her negative habits. She was always cage aggressive, however. That never changed. But, she began to understand the game of "Drop the bell on the floor". We had a loose bell, we'd put it beside her and showed her that if you bumped it, it would fall with a clatter. Then we'd pick it up, repeat. Eventually she did it once and it was game on from that point.

I'm sure she'll get there once she's comfortable. Hopefully no more feather plucking until then. Poor girl. She has a long road, but it'll be so worth it in the end.
    - Danielle

1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anatopism View Post
    Clipping treats is a great idea. I wonder if I can't use little cups to put little bits of her food in around the cage and encourage some foraging and exercise (can't really clip the food directly, as most of it is soft and mushy). She has plastic toys, and toys that shred, made of different types of paper and wood. Natural toys, colorful toys, natural branches, rope branch, etc. Lots of variety.. but maybe she will be motivated if I place her food all over instead of just in her dish. I also don’t think she’s had any water since we have had her. She can reach her water bowl no problem, but I think she’s just been getting her water from her food. She does not seem dehydrated, but I am keeping a close eye on her.
    Sounds like a great setup! And the cups are a good idea, reminds me of how I've been trying to find good places to put CGD in the crested gecko tanks, haha. It might get her moving around a little more though
    Last edited by Valentine Pirate; 04-26-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Holy simple grammar mistake batman!

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliki View Post
    I had a female Lovie that came to me with similar anti-toy mannerisms. Gentleman who bought her had her as his 'baby girl' for a few years. Then met his wife, who had two young boys, and they were having a baby together too. The bird, named Tweaky, was put 'away'.... Into a closet for over a year. Yes, I'm serious. When I went over to see her, he pulled her out and she was just a wreck. No feather plucking, but skinny, dull feathers and terrified. The boys immediately started banging on the cage and yelling at her.

When we brought her home, she would just cower on this one perch and not move for hours. What we eventually did was bring treats close to her and clip them if we could. We removed the 'busy' toys and had one simple toy close to her, with a few other toys on the further side of the cage. Lots of perches, and textures (fuzzy things, like a fleece happy hut we make). Her favorite toy? A bell. A simple, on a chain, hanging from the top of the cage in front of her bell. I would ring it and she'd look at me so weird. I'd slowly swing it a bit (hand in the cage at this point) and, again, she would just be unsure of it.

One day we came home to the noise of the bell ringing. Violently. Walked into our bird room and there was Tweaky, bashing it around like a boxer. She was growling at it! Hahaha. It was so cute.

With her we had to start really simple so as not to overwhelm her. Get her used to one toy, and the concept of it, then add a new one or two. Took about a year for her to finally break out of her negative habits. She was always cage aggressive, however. That never changed. But, she began to understand the game of "Drop the bell on the floor". We had a loose bell, we'd put it beside her and showed her that if you bumped it, it would fall with a clatter. Then we'd pick it up, repeat. Eventually she did it once and it was game on from that point.

I'm sure she'll get there once she's comfortable. Hopefully no more feather plucking until then. Poor girl. She has a long road, but it'll be so worth it in the end.

Great suggestions! Fortunately she doesn't seem frightened of anything, but I know it's an ekkie trait to "study" instead of "panic" so I've been tryiing not to push her to do anythign she isn't comfortable with. Once her quarantine is over and we have good results on a vet check, I'm sure my Senegal will help her out with what toys are for. He makes good work of anything I put in his cage, and does not pick favorites on his path to destruction

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

Valentine Pirate (04-26-2012)

Thanks
    What a great plan, I love that Bird. How lucky to find a home like yours to come too. Some people just DON'T belong owning any pets. I can not see how they could let this happen. Best of luck and keep us posted with updates.
    Our Current Family:
    1.0 Green Tree Python (ARU)=Hercules: 1.0 Borneo Blood Python=Sir Lancelot
    0.1 Ball Python=Sheba: 0.0.1 Gopher Rescue=Dirty Harry: 1.0.0 Corn=Apollo
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko= Napoleon 0.1.0: Bearded Dragon=Draco : 0.1.0Fire Belly Armadillo Lizard:
    0.1.0 Rose Hair Tarantula: 1.0 Cockatiel=Luna: 0.1 Vosmari Eclectus=Evee: 0.2 Cats= Kiku, Duchess: 1.2 Dog=Lilly, Brandy, Charly: 2.0 Flemish Giant=Athena and Snuggles: 0.4 Rats: 0.0.8 Tiger Barbs Fish:
    MY Wish List:
    1.1 Jaya Carpet Python: 0.1 Black Pastel Python:

Thanks
    How is this little darling doing these days? Any updates for us?
    - Danielle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12