Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,932

0 members and 2,932 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Evelyn - Vosmari Eclectus

Stumbled across this girl through assorted craigslist adds.. she and a male were picked up from a shelter, and the woman was attempting to trade them for a healthy unplucked Amazon or Grey, or cash + a large cage. Through talking with a couple other people, one was able to actually get ahold of the woman and talk her down on the price considerably (down from $600 and a large cage, to $300 and no cage). I would like to have not given the woman any money at all, but it was one of those moments where I was instantly attached to these birds from their photos. I've always wanted an eclectus, and I was up for the challenge that might come from a severely plucked, possibly ill tempered bird. They were being kept in cages barely large enough for a parakeet (keep in mind, this bird is about 15 inches from head to tail.. imagine living in a stall where you never had enough room to stretch your body all the way).

The one person who had negotiated her down picked them up the other night, and I drove up to Seattle to pick up the girl and split the cost. We have named her Evelyn, which, by complete accident, goes well with the name for my Senegal, Normandy, as Evelyn comes from Aveline, a Norman French name.

Her feathers are tarnished - She's bald where she could reach to pluck, and her feathers that exist are ripped apart from living in a tiny cage. She seems a little weak, possibly from poor diet and not enough room to exercise. We have the Senegal at a friend's house temporarily, as I can keep them quarantined. While Eve's feathers seem healthy, just physically destroyed by her/her cage, and her beak and face is healthy and eyes clear, I don't want to risk her possibly having PBFD, and spreading it to the Senegal.

She is the absolute sweetest, most docile creature to exist. I'm amazed at how friendly she is, considering what she's been through. Either somebody in her past loved her dearly at one point, or she's just a very forgiving bird, desperate for attention.

She's been getting a mix of beans, long grain rice, and nearly every vegetable I could find at the grocery store that was safe for birds. She does NOT like star fruits (sad, I do), and keeps flinging her leafy greens around the cage rather than eating them, but she is making progress on her alfalfa sprouts and habanero peppers

I don't know if she'll be able to get all of her feathers back, or just some, but there has been some spots of new growth that she hasn't tried pulling out. With better attention, frequent showers, some diluted aloe juice, and a healthy diet, I'm giving her the best opportunity to regrow her feathers. Even if she always looks like a vulture, she's a lovely girl =)

Thanks
    And just for fun, a picture of Normandy, too:

Thanks
    Love your birds! And eclectus have a special place in my heart. It's great to hear that she's doing well under your care; plucked birds always make me feel disheartened. Not unlike reptiles it seems research is absolutely necessary when birds come into the house. Someday when I have a living situation that allows it I'll have some parrots of my own.

Very cool rescue, be sure to keep us updated with pics! Normandy is one handsome boy too

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Valentine Pirate For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (04-23-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Poor girl looks awful. I hope she recovers fully for you and thrives in your care!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (04-23-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Thats terrible. Everybody is making it seem like its not as bad as it looks though... She'll regrow the feathers im assuming? Also why did she pluck her own feather all off in the first place?
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (04-23-2012)

Thanks

Re: Evelyn - Vosmari Eclectus

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Thats terrible. Everybody is making it seem like its not as bad as it looks though... She'll regrow the feathers im assuming? Also why did she pluck her own feather all off in the first place?
    She may or may not ever grow her feathers back. There is some new growth so I am optimistic, but I'm not sure how bad/how long they can pluck before it becomes a permanent loss due to damaged skin/scarring/etc.

Typical reasons most birds pluck is due to stress or boredom. It is very similar to a human chewing their fingernails, and at times can be an equally difficult habit to break. She was kept in a VERY small cage, with no toys, and I don't know how much attention she got - I would've pulled my feathers out too in the same situation.

From the pictures I saw of her before, I believe she was also being fed on a parakeet-type seed mix, but I am not sure. Eclectus are special in that they have a longer digestive tract than most other parrots, and therefore need a modified diet to reflect a much lower fat content than other parrots. Normal pellets that are balanced for most, can be too rich, and lead to issues down the road, when fed to an Eclectus. Poor diet, as with any animal can cause all sorts of issues, that may make a bird pluck - itchy skin, organ problems, etc. She is being fed a diet that consists of assorted beans and long grain rice now, as well as a mix of vegetables, and some fruits. She doesn't like her leafy greens or her fruits, but she does like sprouts. I'm learning what she likes so I can provide her with a balanced diet.

Another thing that can cause plucking is not enough humidity - most parrots should get regular baths/showers. My Senegal doesn't like to go in the shower with me, whcih is fine because he does a great job of dunking his face into his water bowl and flinging it all over his body. Eve has been sitting on her shower perch with one of us when we shower, and doesn't dislike it, but doesn't seem to fully love it either. She sits and falls asleep. The added water should help get her feathers/skin back to where it should be.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (06-20-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts
    I love parrots. So happy that you took her in. Senegals are one of my favorites. I have a litte Quaker parrot. Keep us updated on her progress.
    1.0 Normal (Rocko)
    1.0 Mojave (Mac)
    1.0 Pastel Ghost (Zeus)
    0.1 Spider (Zarah)
    1.0 Butter (Jagger)
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa (Josslynn)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Cee Lo)
    Black Cat Nivea)
    Dachshund (Isabella) (Murphy) (Lilli)
    Mixed Breed (Heidi)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DellaF For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (04-23-2012)

Thanks

Re: Evelyn - Vosmari Eclectus

I used to breed Vos (and Grand) and love them. Congrats to both of you. It's always so refreshing to see an ekkie in the hands of someone who has done some research on their diet.

Best of luck to the two of you.
    `*`

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadera For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (04-23-2012)

Thanks
    I LOVE birds, especially large parrots. She is absolutely beautiful and I wish you the best of luck with her. Please keep us updated on her progress!
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

16. The Following User Says Thank You to heathers*bps For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (04-23-2012)

Thanks
    I found out Evelyn was hatched 12/26/01 from Aves International

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast