Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,538

4 members and 1,534 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Vet visit or no?

My '10 yellowbelly het genetic stripe girl (who was rescued in November) has been successfully taking rats with no regurges consistently every 5-7 days for about 2 months now. She survived two rounds of antibiotics oral/injected and has been gaining weight as well as an aggressive appetite. They both shed regularly as well. No bad sheds since I first took them in November...
    Today she was essed up while I cleaned under her rack in an obvious "I'm hungry and I don't care if its feeding day"
    She struck the side of her tub a few times before she realized I didn't have any rats for her (she just ate a small/med rat on the 17th.)
    After the strikes I carefully watched for wheezing, yawning, drool...you know the usual paranoia I always get when I check her. She and the lesser are the only survivors of all the abandoned balls I took in so I'm a basketcase of over protectiveness with her. Anyway she yawned, pink mouth no mucous looked good...then she held her mouth ajar for a few seconds longer than I wanted...I'm afraid she will get it back and I don't know if I should take her to the vet for a check up and risk her going off feed and possibly stressing her and making her susceptible to RI that we worked so hard to fight... she's finally taking meals regularly and isn't popping or wheezing or drooling (though I don't hardly handle her since she's still in qt and I'm paranoid about transmission.
    She and the '09 lesser are housed in their own QT rack on the other side of the house the hot spot is still at 92.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by AJs Snake House; 04-20-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    Balls:
    0.1 '?? Normal
    0.1 '10 Pastel
    0.1 '10 Yellowbelly het Genetic Stripe
    1.0 '11 Lesser
    1.0 '09 Lesser
    1.0 '11 Fire
    1.0 '07 Spider
    1.0 '11 Black Pastel

1.0 '81 Husband
    2.0 '03/'10 Offspring
    Gravid with 1.0.1 twins due Oct 9th 2012

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Vet visit or no?

...then she held her mouth ajar for a few seconds longer than I wanted...
    I think she just forgot to check with you about how long she should hold her mouth open.

Seriously though, I don't think this is cause for a vet visit. At all. You run a much higher risk of causing stress by taking her on a road trip and getting her poked and prodded by a stranger than by simply keeping an eye on her for a few days to make sure she didn't injure herself by hitting the side of the tub. I'm sure she's totally fine.

I know you're stressed and paranoid about these guys after all you've been through with them. I hope, in time, you'll finally be able to relax and enjoy them like any other healthy, beautiful snake in your collection.
    -- Judy

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's possible also that when she hit the side of the tub she may have just dislodged (can't think of the word I wanted to say at the moment) her jaw a bit and was just readjusting? I'd say continue to watch her for any signs of reemergence, but at this time she is more than likely just fine and only trying to freak you out.

- Nakita

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have healthy snakes that like to do that every now and again. I would definitely wait until you for sure see RI signs. If her tongue is still flicking and she doesn't have her head cocked up all the time, then take a deep breath

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I too an paranoid. Long story but I have a very special little girl whom has a birth deformity. She a month or so back had drool and I raced her to the vet did a lung wash only to find her free of anything out of the ordinary and she was completely free from any other issues. The vet and I figured that she may have just had a drink before I was handling her and that is all the discharge was.

I am not saying it is nothing but a day or so of observation may show no other signs at all other than excitement. I too would check the husbandry (don't forget air flow and ambient air temps) and keep a very close eye on her for a couple of days and perhaps call the vet to see how booked they are just in case...