Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,046

1 members and 3,045 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!

Thanks
    I got some wc bp's in a trade for my 7 foot female bci. They've been cleared of mites and ticks but not internal parasites. They are eating fine, as a matter of fact they have a big appetite. Anyways, does anybody here know of any good medicine to treat the internal parasites?

Thanks,
    Danny

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Help!!!

If i were you i would take a trip to the Vet because he is the one that is going to give you the exact need for your snake. 8)
    ps. just to make sure that you are givig her the correct thing for what she have .
    Jesús

Thanks
    Never used them myself, but everyone always talks about Flagyl and Panacur.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Thanks
    Flagyl and Panacur are good. I have heard of vets using ivermectin..but I would be leary of it cause it can cause serious nuerological damage.. hope this helps.

Thanks
    In My experience with the rescue, we use* Panacur and Flagyl.
    We have used other medications but we never use Ivermectin (Very dangerose).
    PLEASE Understand My husband is a Certified Vet Tech, and I am an experienced Vet Assistant. We have a full time vet on call at all times for our animals here in rescue etc. We have never and will never treat an animal without a vets instruction.
    Please consult a qualified herp vet. It is very dangerose to treat your animals with medications without a doctors approval.
    Sorry I'm a bit blunt, we have seen (more then once) what happens when people "blindly treat", they end up half dead on our doorstep.
    Thanks
    RUSTY
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've heard people swear by Ivomectin for worms but my vet doesn't have much faith in it for tapeworms (says ok for several other types). He has me use Droncit for tapeworms but it's much more expensive than the Flagyl and Panacure. Each of these three medicines treats different things but I think the idea is that if you administer all three properly you are pretty much covered for everything. However I think you need a prescription for each so might as well see the vet anyway. Mine will do a fecal exam for $15.77 (not bad to have the author of “Understanding Reptile Parasites” look at your snake poop). He is now recommending lower doses than previously published so again, best to see your vet.

Thanks
    Is it safe to go ahead and give them this medicinne without knowing if they have the parasites or not?, like you can to a dog with worm medicinne....Just curious.
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

Thanks
    Is it safe to go ahead and give them this medicinne without knowing if they have the parasites or not?, like you can to a dog with worm medicinne....Just curious.
    I've heard of people doing that, we just figure it's better to get a fecal done on everything coming in anyway. As For dog worming, their "over the counter" worming meds are different then the prescribed ones. (I used to run a small chain of pet stores) so I would think that the store bought meds would be much much weaker.
    Ok, thanks
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Rusty, it looks like you posted while I was writing mine up.

I had heard that you DEFINATLY didn't want to use Ivomectin with any type of turtle but have you seen problems with snakes? Do you think it was excess dosing? I get the idea that most of these meds (the common ones, Panacure, Flygil, and Droncit) are very safe at several times the needed dose with the possible exception of Flagyl (was told it could be bad with a gravid female). However I know when we worked with Ivomectin on cattle we where very careful with it so I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it was a little more dangerous. I notice that it's what's in the HeartGuard for dogs and heart worms. At any rate, I got the idea that my vet wasn't using Ivomectin because it didn't seem effective against tapeworms and not for safety reasons but then I'm sure he has very specific doses so maybe the risk is in overdose.

Ironhead,

Lots of people do just treat them blindly and it appears that if your doses are correct or anywhere close to correct you will probably be ok. However, if you only have a small collection and don't strongly suspect parasites (like know that they are imported), and don't already have the medicines then maybe it would be cheaper to start off with the fecals. Maybe do one animal at a time (assuming caged separately) and hopefully you will make it all the way through your group without finding anything.

However, so far I've spent a lot on fecal exams just to learn that even my captive bred animals often have parasites. I'm suspecting feeder rodents and am starting to wonder how common parasites are in commercial rodent colonies and hence in captive bred reptiles. I’ve already heard of a different supplier than mine being rejected as a zoo vender due to endemic parasites in their rodent colony. So far it seems to be a dirty subject that I can't get many to talk about publicly but I did have one large breeder (corn snakes mainly) who seemed to just take parasites as a fact of life and plan on rotating through his colony shot gunning groups ever so often with meds. At least he was treating them, some my just blindly ignore the possibility with captive bred animals. However I'd love to be able to get rid of them all once and for all and be able to confirm a clean colony but am not sure how hard that would be (figure I'd have to breed my own rodents starting with new equipment and certified parasite free lab stock). Apparently it’s not economically feasible to treat an existing rodent colony for all possible parasites.

Thanks
    I agree, was just curious if it was safe of not....Thanks for the reply
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is....

....Tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast