Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

1 members and 3,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: AFT Gecko

Thanks
    I have an AFT, she is around 6 to 7 inches long, but she does have a re-gen tail... anyhow.. since I have been around this AFT I have never ever seen her shed or look like she may be. I got her at the pet shop I was working for cause she had been there like FOREVER. I am the only one who took care of her there, so I kinda grew attached to her.

I am guessing, that she is a young adult. She has a great appetite..she likes her crickets and wax worms..just not with calcium coating them...so she has a calcium dish, and does use it- I am have seen her. I have offered her pinkies, but she refuses them, is this cause maybe she has never seen them? So- can someone tell me how often they shed, and as much info as possible,cause I have spent hours online looking for good info, and cant really find much that is specific to AFT's.

Banned
    Thanks
    Jeff wrote an extremely good one on leos, which applies to AFT's...

When they shed they typically eat it so you never even know they've shed, those screw balls. I think maybe you hould keep offering dusted crix, she'll finally accept

Thanks
    Crickets are strange- I have dusted them alot, and I have watched them soon after crawl out of thier skin..almost like a shed... but soon die afterwards for most because the others attack it. And I have watched crickets canibalize eachother, and even a wax worm or 2. And I thought crickets were not meat eaters. But they must be. SO either way- I am not sure if dusting will work, but I suppose I could try it longer, but I am going to leave her calcium dish in for her just in case.

And I did read Jeff's article... it helped a bit, only on reconfirming other basics I have picked up along the way. But I want more detailed info. I think for that I will have to keep looking. As far as her shed, I did talk to Jeff and a few others last night, so I know what to look for in a bad shed with the toes... and I know how to correct it if neccessary. So, I am not going to worry too much then.

My newest idea for her tank though... I want to create as natural looking environment as possible, so it looks really nice, this is on my desk, it is the main part of my room, so people see stuff like this... any ideas what kinds of things are safe to use, any ideas what to do. I was told slate, but I cant picture that.

Banned
    Thanks
    If provided with good hide outs crickets will actually live long and be less likely to eat each other.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne
    I was told slate, but I cant picture that.
    I'm here to help ya! :lol:

Picture of slate-

Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Thanks
    I'm not gonna ask why u had a picture of slate

-Chris

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Crickets are essentially omnivorous opportunity feeders, which is one of the reason they do so well and can be such household pests. I'm sure they have "preferred" foods, but they'll eat almost anything, including things that aren't good for them such as carpet fibers, etc.

Since my son's cat decided to try and help himself to some crickets, and thereby released a whole bunch into the house, I think we're going to find them all over the place for at least a while.
    We do not quit playing because we grow old; we grow old because we quit playing.

I don't use crickets for any of my insectivorious herps....my staple prey item is mealworms. They are much more nutritious than crickets and much easier to keep alive.