Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 728

2 members and 726 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Gah... it's that drryyyyyy time of year again in Mass and Not only has she started her winter fasting, Eleanor is wheezing. I had to treat her for a mild RI last winter and don't want to go through the trauma of giving her shots again (she was fine, I was squeamish!) Last year I tried putting a moist towel over the screen cover to raise the humidity, it worked a little but not incredibly well. I'm going to add a UTH in addition to her heat lamp... that is if I can find my spare UTH... Anybody have tricks to raise tank humidity? She's in one of those 40 breeders with a sliding top. Thanks
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

Thanks

Raising Humidity

Humid hides.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Thanks
    I find that if you put an UTH under the water dish it helps, many people do cover 75% of their screen top with tin foil or said things.
    We just accually have a humidifier running, You can buy them cheap, I think ours was only about 20$ But our reptile room / house is always hot and humid with all the enclosures set up.
    thanks
    RUSTY
    PS the winters can be hard in New England
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If there is any way you can get a peice of pegboard for the lid and lose the screen top, it would help the humidity alot. I did that and I'm in AZ (DRY DRY DRY), and I've been maintaining a steady 67%-72% humidity. I also help it out by light mists once or twice a day on the sides of the glass-not the bottom of the tank. Oh yeah, and when they are in shed, I put a tupperware bowl in their cages and fill it half way with water and put a paper towel in the water. They dig it.

Hope this helped.

Banned
    Thanks
    Ick, tanks. You should cover the top with saran wrap or something and use some heat pads. Just make sure the room is pretty warm or else this does nothing to heat the air. My toads are in a sauna because of that saran wrap I used.

Got 156.00 spare? Buy a precision. I mist that baby once and it's a freaking sauna for 2 whole days.

Thanks
    BallKingdom is gonna hate me for this, but a Rubbermaid/Sterilite is great for maintaining humidity and temps. Rack systems are IT! Maybe you could put her in a sterilite just for the winter???
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I love rack systems. BallKingdom doesn't like racks?? Someone needs to set him straight *cough* Randy *cough* LOL j/k... Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I LOVE RACK SYSTEMS!!! They are wonderful for keeping in humidity IMO.

Banned
    Thanks
    I don't see the problem with racks when they are roomy. The ones I see constantly are barely 3 inches tall, teeny tiny, and little to no light gets through. Not all are this way, I'm sure yours aren't. But a good 50% are.

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! I dug through my pile of retired gecko transport containers/humid hids and made her a humid hide from a sterilite container I didn't know I had. I'd rather not keep her in a rubbermaid mainly because it's a MAJOR pain in my ass to move the 40 gallon, I hate that thing. I had to lug it up two flights of stairs to get it to my room from the basement and I don't have room to keep it around if she's going to be using a rubbermaid. But maybe I'll go for the saran wrap idea... as of right now I definately don't have the money to buy a nice cage, I'm waiting a couple years 'til after college to invest in some nice display cages. Luckily for me my bedroom gets to be between 80 and 90 if I keep the door closed (weird heating upstairs, it blows out heat even in the middle of summer). If I had the room I'd go with the rubbermaid idea... agh, I hate having too much furniture for a small bedroom!! This is the first time I've had a dresser in like three years and that took up alot of space, lol. Anyway, thanks again everybody! I'll keep you all updated!
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

Thanks
    Not all are this way, I'm sure yours aren't.
    Mine are. The tubs are 3" high, and 12" x 8" for the adults, and 1/2 that for the juveniles. NOT!
    Standard tubs are 6" deep, and at least 16" x 23". The ones I keep my adults in are 41 quarts, 36" x 17" x 6".
    Jennifer, I've been trying to bring him to "the Dark Side" for a while now. He just doesn't appreciate simplicity! :mrgreen:
    Randy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast