Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,240

1 members and 1,239 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    BPnet Veteran C&H Exotic Morphs's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Question about temps when shipping?

I have looked over most of the shipping information I can find. And I understand at what temps to use either heat or cold packs, but I haven't been able to find out what location you use to base this off of.
    So what temperatures do you use? Where you are shipping from or the final destination of the package?
    Since I plan on dropping packages off at a FedEx location I was figuring it will be the destination but I just want to be positive.

Thanks
    I look at my location in the evening (where I'm shipping from), Indianapolis (because that is the hub most shipments from FedEx go through from here) and morning temps at the location (at around and before time of delivery). The temps have to be acceptable at all locations.

I always prefer to ship from hub to hub, rather than home delivery. That way the package isn't riding around in the back of a truck for an extended period of time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:

C&H Exotic Morphs (04-11-2012)

Thanks

Re: Question about temps when shipping?

I understand temps at all locations need to be acceptable.
    Maybe a scenario would be easier for me to understand i guess.

I live just outside of Phoenix so it gets rather hot here. So say it is going to be in the 90's here the evening I'm shipping and the package is going to somewhere that is typically cooler, lets say Colorado or Wyoming. The morning temps would probably be in the 60's. I'm pretty sure the package would go from Phoenix to Tennesse then to Colorado for delivery. And Tennesse overnight would probably be similar to Colorado temp wise. So would you use a cold pack because of the temps here in Phoenix or ship without heat or cold because of the temps in Tennesse and Colorado?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C&H Exotic Morphs View Post
    I understand temps at all locations need to be acceptable.
    Maybe a scenario would be easier for me to understand i guess.

I live just outside of Phoenix so it gets rather hot here. So say it is going to be in the 90's here the evening I'm shipping and the package is going to somewhere that is typically cooler, lets say Colorado or Wyoming. The morning temps would probably be in the 60's. I'm pretty sure the package would go from Phoenix to Tennesse then to Colorado for delivery. And Tennesse overnight would probably be similar to Colorado temp wise. So would you use a cold pack because of the temps here in Phoenix or ship without heat or cold because of the temps in Tennesse and Colorado?
    In that particular example you wouldn't need a heat or cold pack...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coldbloodaddict For This Useful Post:

C&H Exotic Morphs (04-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 845 Posts
    I'm in Phoenix as well. As you know, once it warms up here, the hottest part of the day is typically when you are dropping the package off. Once it warms up everywhere else it's pretty hot here. You can always consider a mostly defrosted cold pack. This way it will slightly cool the package for a couple hours while it's still here in Phoenix. It will then be defrosted when the package leaves and is in the air.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Green For This Useful Post:

C&H Exotic Morphs (04-12-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Green View Post
    I'm in Phoenix as well. As you know, once it warms up here, the hottest part of the day is typically when you are dropping the package off. Once it warms up everywhere else it's pretty hot here. You can always consider a mostly defrosted cold pack. This way it will slightly cool the package for a couple hours while it's still here in Phoenix. It will then be defrosted when the package leaves and is in the air.
    Thanks Dave,
    The partially frozen cold pack sounds like a great idea to help deal with how hot it can get here!