Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,567

4 members and 1,563 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Dehtdrated Water Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Anatopism View Post
    Just a general question about distilled water... isn't the reason Normosol-R or pedialyte is recommended is due to the electrolyte balance? I would think that you have to be very careful with distilled water, particularly if the animal isn't taking in any other form of liquid or food, that may provide necessary minerals for healthy cell function? If injecting, is there a possibility of rupturing cells? I obviously don't know enough about the subject, which is why I am asking, but is this an issue to be cautious of?
    Pedialyte is the cheap way of hydration because it has a few things above and beyond plain distilled water. I would not inject pedialyte into an animal. I use it orally.

MANY issues can be caused by someone with no clue injecting any living creature with a needle. Are you implying the increased hydrostatic pressure causing cell lysis? Highly doubtful.

Thanks
    I'll be using pedialyte orally.

I have in the past used a needle to inject an anti bacteria medicine for a sick ball python via
    vet orders

where would you inject on the lizard (hip area or tail? where there is more muscle?)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simpleyork View Post
    I'll be using pedialyte orally.

I have in the past used a needle to inject an anti bacteria medicine for a sick ball python via
    vet orders

where would you inject on the lizard (hip area or tail? where there is more muscle?)
    find loose skin fold, pinch, slide needle just under skin.

Thanks
    There's plenty of those on him unfortunately. Been getting a little bit of pedialyte in him though most defiantly does not like me giving it to him. his eyes are no longer watery like they were yesterday morning and seems more lively.
    Since he has gone off food what might be a good substitute to orally feed him? His fat storage on his tail and thigh area is gone so what would be the best route to go?
    I haven't had problems keeping my health reptiles healthy, but this is a new one for me nursing an unhealthy stressed monitor to health. Thanks for the help suzuki4life, this has given me some more hope in the monitor, I don't want to loose him.

Thanks
    You might try a pinkie slurry to syringe feed him.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    1.1 Normal "Precious" "Chumley"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    1.1 Mojave "Stewie" "Little Bit"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"
    1.0 Nile Monitor "Superman"
    0.1 Bearded Dragons "Snookie"
    0.0.1 Sulcuta Tortoise "Kenny Powers"
    1.0 Chocolate lab "Dante"
    1.0 Now snake obsessed boyfriend

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

if you had a pinky pump(those evil things I will never own again) you could pump in some pinkies.

I'd work on hydration and heat for now and watch him hopefully liven up. You said he ate a week ago on his own. Maybe the hydration will inspire him to continue. Force feeding should be one of the last possible options IMHO.

I'd check on him and if he's off his basking site, maybe give more pedialyte and put him back on. Make him move off of it himself.(forcing activity) If he stays under it for 20-30 minutes, you have a problem...a vet problem.(assuming you actually have a 147 degree basking site which is pretty hot for a water)

Thanks

Rather than force feed, you can try assist feeding. Use a small prey item to try and gently get him to open his mouth. Often with monitors, they will go ahead and open their mouth and bite whatever you are prodding them with. Then just hold it in his mouth and he should hopefully swallow. You can try it with small pinkies or roaches.

I rescued a V. indicus in much worse shape than your guy. Not only was she dehydrated/emaciated, she would regurgitate every she did manage to eat. Until she finally lost the will to eat entirely. We brought her into the vet, had her dewormed and with some proper temperatures, humidity, basking area, etc. and a bit of assist feeding and she bounced back wonderfully.

Thanks
    You all are giving me hope. I gave him some more pedialyte this morning put him on his basking spot then he moved off, came back from church and he had moved on to it which is a climb. He is starting to be more active.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simpleyork View Post
    You all are giving me hope. I gave him some more pedialyte this morning put him on his basking spot then he moved off, came back from church and he had moved on to it which is a climb. He is starting to be more active.
    keep hydrating. Tomorrow offer food if he keeps up activity.

Thanks
    he's been moviing around some, put some dubia roaches in there, it was a no go, i'll be picking up a baby rat tomorrow to see if that works

as far as underground goes they still claim that it was in perfect health when I got it so I'm done dealing with them, as those first photos were taken the day I received it and the day after.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast