Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

1 members and 3,143 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    I definately won't procrastinate, just want it planned well. I'll be busy this weekend.

Thanks
    he took a week old rat today! good sign. took measurements on that tool box this morning
    5'8" x 3'6" x 1'10" then I'll add a 1'9" more to it in hight

Thanks
    Great husbandry will work wonders for a troubled Water (or any under kept lizard). You do have to watch for respiratory issues, blowing bubbles and clicking, that would be a negative sign.

But great temps, hydration, secure hides, followed by a strong diet, and you could be on the right track.

However, eggs, goldfish and frozen walrus pops do not a good diet make.

Feeder insects, rodents. Done. That is all you need. Feeding a monitor that already has likely parasite issues more prey items that have all new parasite issues (goldfish) is running down the wrong road.

Don't force feed or assist feed, that in not needed.

Check out the monitor info at our site ProExotics.com, in the FAQ and caresheet section. Some things I need to update, like soaking (not needed given a good setup, unless you are trying to get pretty pictures done), but temps and diet info is all applicable to your animal.

Once you get some food in, poop will come out, then you need to get a fecal done at the vet, and treat parasites accordingly.

Cage wise, I would work around the cattle troughs for now, build from there, that is your best bet.

Best of luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (04-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanks for posting that Robyn, I wanted to make the statement about not needing a soak, but I didn't want to be viewed as going against your established care sheet.

Thanks
    hey thanks. i'll not feed them any goldfish anymore. just put the rat in this morning before heading out to do some stuff in town when i came back he had eaten it and was basking under the lamp, so the mice i bought will have to wait, he does have a supply of dubia roaches and has eaten a few of them as well. Bought some wood today so tomorrow i'll get his new encloser put together and pictures put up for critque

Robyn@SYR I printed up that care sheet you had on it and am going to do all I can to follow it to the "T"
    thanks

Thanks
    Best of luck with your Water. They can be a bit tricky, but once you get the basics down, they thrive. Search out Jim Heck on Facebook, he has a PE Water, a BIG one, and he would probably chat you up about adult caging.

Here is a pic, not sure who all can see it:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

And Wayne, I have needed to update that caresheet for years. Still do : )

Basics are still fine, but I did want to clarify the soaking. It CAN be helpful, especially for dehydrated lizards, but it is not necessary for a proper kept lizard in a non-desiccating cage (screen top style). It IS super helpful in prepping an animal for pics though. Our babies were soaked every week or two, and always looked like a million bucks : )

Thanks
    Anatopism- I like that enclosure, I was thinking for my Ornate to do a large L-shaped cage in the front room though I may have to bribe the wife by remodeling the kitchen for her.
    I'll get this cage done for the Water Monitor to give me a little time to get the final cages figured out how I want them.

Thanks
    today's work

I'll be adding one more light to help with the ambient temps

He's been moving around checking out everything so much more lively

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I hate to ask the obvious question, but you do have a closed lid, right?

(I only ask because my neighbors were astounded that their adult ball python climbed out of a OPEN aquarium)

I think it looks like a bang up job and I bet he's going to be digging like crazy and throwing dirt in all directions in no time. Don't be surprised if he just starts hiding a lot too.

Retes style stack hides would make him happy too!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    yup there is a lid to it

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast