Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,927

0 members and 2,927 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    lol...my snake is eating the rat right now from the tail end first and he's having so much problems..i can't help but giggle at him.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i'd be super careful, and stay close when this happens. I've heard of snakes having problems, and even dying, from trying to swallow a rat backwards.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    In my experience, they will swallow them any which way when it isn't big enough that they have to take it head first. It usually takes longer, but if it's too big, or not going down like it should, they will back off it.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Banned
    Thanks
    Typically they figure out it is the wrong end and go for the head. When he takes it make sure he grabs it in the neck area, cause then they always eat the head first.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well, my experiences lead me to believe that there is not too much difference whether they take it head first or tail first. They don't plan on killing themselves, their not dumb.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well, from the stories I was told, the feet of the rat kept the snake from being able to regergitate(sp?) the part of the rat that had already been swallowed.
    -Will

Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    All I know is when I feed my BP's, some of them (I'd say 3 out of 10 each time they feed) will take the rat feet first. They are doing just fine. Also, about regurgitation. I guess that may make sense. But you have to take into consideration that once it is inside the snake, it is decomposing at a super fast rate. By the time the snake MAY need to regurge, the rodent would be in a state of decompostion where it wouldn't matter what end was to come out first; it would all come out decomposed.

One other thing. Why would the snake need to regurge a meal if it is being kept in excellent condition like they are supposed to be? (temps, humidity, stress from being handled after a meal, etc).

I just think it isn't that big of a deal; but who knows, I'm no expert.

Cheers,
    Jennifer

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    well, good points there. but what i meant was during the feeding period, if the snake felt it couldn't swallow the rodent in full it may feel the need to regurgitate, and with the rodent going in feet first that'd be a little tough. btw, you seem very educated on subject of bp's. i bet yours are happy and healthy as can be .
    -Will

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thank you for the compliment That sure makes it worth all the hours of "homework" on these little buggers. I love them to death!

Like I said, I sure am no expert. But I do every bit of research I can. And it sure makes me VERY upset when I see people coming in saying "I got a ball python last week, what do I do with it? GGRRRR... I just want to say everytime "Give It Back And Do Your Home Work BEFORE You Buy It!!!!!!!!!" I may know a bit on ball pythons, but rest assured, you ask me something about an afrock and I don't know night from day.

And my BP's are as healthy and happy as nature will allow.

I appreciate the comment, Wizill.

Heh...That was ::my moment:: LOL
    Jennifer

Thanks
    He finally got it down...looks like he's doing great to me. all my temps are perfect...so hopefully he won't be throwing up any time soon...btw....this was the 4th time i've fed him (once a week i feed him) and he still hasn't done his business...i know it takes a while, but goodness it's been a month!! nothing to be alarmed about is it?
    ~ Nate ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast