Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,027

1 members and 3,026 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

This is all new to me and refreshing.

This year is my first try at getting my BP's to breed. I started the nighttime temp drops in August, put them together at the beginning of Sept, and have witnessed copulation since. I started in August hoping to get eggs prior to next summer, when everyone else has them!
    I have two questions:

1) Has anyone else attempted/succeeded in adjusting the breeding season like this? My apartment has central air, so I have total control over the air temps in the room. Why do I not hear breeders talking about this, or see babies for sale at all times of the year? Is it really that difficult to adjust the breeding season?

2) Once they have copulated a few times, is there any reason to continue the temp drops, or is it ok to seperate them and resume normal temps?
    It is my understanding that the temp drops stimulate the males to produce viable sperm, and that after being bred, the heat going back to normal triggers the ovulation/fertilization process. Is that correct? And if it is, would resuming the normal temps after seeing copulation trigger an earlier ovulation/fertilization than letting the breeding season run it's course?

Thanks!
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Banned
    Thanks
    Well, I wonder if it is a sorounding type thing, and thus can be changed. Or if it is a sensory type thing, like an automatic switch in their head that tells them it is time to breed. I guess either way you could sort of urge them into it. But I wouldn't really know.

Thanks

Ball Python Movie Cameos

Well this is how I see it. I start cooling every year on October 1, and I keep them cool until January 1, and that is it. This 3 months is enough for me. But I do still continue to breed until the female rejects the male. This means that if the female will still let the male breed her, I keep breeding them. Once she has big follicles, they will stop breeding. Most of my animals will breed until Feb, by then most females are heavily gravid. this is just my experience.
    Jason

Thanks
    this is my third season breeding bp's and i work with some major breeders in the maryland area and it is always good to continue the temp drops. or you could have steril eggs yep yep...I tried the same thing without asking anyone.... REALLY DISAPPOINTING

Thanks
    Hmm, interesting, how long do you keep the temps down? Also when you say sterile eggs, did they lay all slugs, or what? Thanks for the info.
    Jason