Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,234

1 members and 3,233 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks
    I have had my Leopard Gecko since about May. He is great, I have never had a problem with him biting, he hunts down any cricket in his cage, he has been just a great animal to have.

I have been getting worried about him because I have not seen him shed since I have had him. I don't hink that I could miss something like that. How often are they supposed to shed?

I was reading the Gecko Care Sheet, and I read that they should have a humid-hide. I don't have one, and honestly this is the first time I have read about it. I mist the cage on a daily basis, I thought that was all I had to do. What should I make one out of? I feel so bad that the poor little guy has gone 6 months without something that he needs.

Thanks

Shedding and a Humid-Hide Question

Welcome to BP.Net!
    I have exactly zero experience with leopard geckos, but I read a while back that they sometimes eat their shed skin. Is it possible that is the case, and maybe you missed it? That may explain the absence of a mess in the cage. I'm sure that if you mist daily, he is probably ok, but it wouldn't hurt to put a humid hide in. You can make a humid hide out of a small plastic container. I use the disposable plastic sandwich containers from Wal-Mart that come in a four pack.

I just cut a hole in the lid or the side, so my snakies can get in. Moist substrate, too, of course, but you sound like you have researched that aspect of it.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Thanks
    That will work great! I even have one at home that would be the perfect size.

Thanks

Thanks

Intro

I have four leopard geckos and they each shed about once every 1-2 months... and they always eat it, lol, so it could be an easy thing to miss. I only notice they start to get cloudy then suddenly they're all done shedding and there is no evidence.
    -Lindsay

0.1 ball python - 1.1 leopard geckos

Banned
    Thanks
    Good job guys. I've gotten worried when I noticed they hadn't shed. But when they look good again I assume they've eaten it. Right now I don't keep leos though.