Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,818

2 members and 2,816 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Quiet squeaking noise while handling?

My ball python makes a quiet squeaking noise but ONLY while being handled. There is no open mouth breathing, nasal discharge, elevated head posture or wheezing. He absolutely has no problems other than this and I'm wondering if this is normal. He has been doing the quiet squeaking ever since I got him.

I've read elsewhere on this forum how ball pythons have 'stress breathing' which they do while being handled.

Any suggestions?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Quiet squeaking noise while handling?

I have one that also does this-he has done it ever since i got him and he is fine. He squeaks when he is handled or otherwise excited and I have just learned to get used to it as no RI is involved.

Thanks
    I've read that sometimes they get stuck shed around or in their nose that squeaks, mine also did the same thing once last week or so while out but I haven't heard it since.

Thanks
    Could be stuck shed in/around the nostrils. Had that problem with a blood once. Look closely and you should be able to see it if thats the case.

Although I have noticed that som snakes make a "sighing" noise during physically demanding activities, such as crawling around a persons hand.

Could be RI of course... even though it doesn't sound like it in your description.

Never heard about 'stress-breathing' but I would assume its the fast, short breaths that a stressed snake does. When they do this they often sit very still almost paralyzed...
    Last edited by sweballp; 03-27-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks

Re: Quiet squeaking noise while handling?

My ball python was doing this yesterday. She's not took a dump in a few weeks so I was giving her a warm bath to encourage it. In the bath she seemed happy, she was slowly moving around flicking her tongue and sometimes putting her head under the water. She made no atte.pt yo leave the bath at any point so I do not feel that she was stressed. After a bout 5 mins I started to notice a squeaking noise and after searching the room realised it was my snake. There was no mucus or open mouth breathing and when I took her out of the bath her body was very relaxed with no tension. I will keep an eye on her over the next few days but this did not appear to be an RI or stress breathing so I am at a loss! Hasanyone ever heard of a snake making squeaking noises in pleasure??!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk