Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,447

0 members and 2,447 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bellies

Thanks
    The pics of Eddy feeding are here... http://ball-pythons.net/index.php?na...opic&t=240
    I totally agree with you about the secrecy stuff, but with the thousands of dollars at stake per snake, I guess human nature (greed) will express itself every time! Hhhhmmmm....that comment might draw a few replies. I didn't mean it to bash the biggies, just trying to state the way I see it.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Banned
    Thanks
    I see it from both ways, if my income and way of life depended on morphs and their hets, I'd be damned if I let half my profits head down the toilet. I'm kind of upset that possibly information could be withheld and us made ignorant. I really noticed a thread during the spring about these genetic markers, and someone stated that Ralph knew how to pick het pieds to a precision, but nobody was sure how he did it. This is all a tangle, I'm only interested in producing albinos, so if anyone finds cheap 100% hets, lemme know. Maybe Kara has some.

Thanks
    Het albinos are really coming down in price. $800 is not hard to find for a pair. Last year they were still $1000.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Banned
    Thanks
    150 is a good 100% het male, females are up there. I'll see what I can do, I'm really looking for a macklott's first

Thanks
    I was fortunate enough this year to purchase a het pied male. He has that supposed genetic marker, his belly is pure white with no black, although I have heard of many that are normally colored/patterned. I looked at the rest of my BPs (het albino and normals), and they all have normal bellies, with the exception of one of the female het albinos. She has a clear belly, exactly like the het pied. I know the jury is still out on this one, but at this point it looks like there is no real reliable way (unfortunately) to tell a het by appearance. I wonder, however, if it would ever be possible to determine hets by looking at genetic markers?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It should be possible, just expensive and time consuming to find the gene and market a probe for it before the morph comes down to the point that not enough people would spend enough to find out.

Could you post pics of the bellies of your het pied and your het albino?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RPlank
    Oh, and it puts Kara in a crummy position too. Here she is, sharing her knowledge and love of BP's with us, and gets asked a question that she would probably like to answer, but cannot, for business reasons.
    Actually that's not true at all...it has nothing to do with "business reasons" - it has to do with the fact that I don't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction since I haven't taken the time to learn every little detail in determining het markers (nor do I have any desire to do so at the moment). I wasn't kidding when I said that learning to recognize "het bellies" wasn't my #1 priority - it really really isn't! At this point I am much more interested in importing some cocoa-phase Sumatran short-tail pythons :wink: with good locality data than even worrying about what is or isn't a het pied, since I know Kevin is going to do that anyway.

Like I said before, I'm not trying to be difficult or withhold information. I just think it's better for me not to discuss a topic that I don't have a ton of firsthand experience on for the sake of avoiding the dissemination of potentially incorrect info.

Just another $.02...

K

Thanks
    Randy,
    Yes, I will try to snap some pics of the bellies of the two with the clear bellies and post them here. I agree the expense to track down and 'map' the gene in a het would surely be very prohibitive. Wouldn't it be geat to be able to determine a true het through a blood test, though. Actually, I guess it would be a double edged sword, as the price of morphs would probably tend to drop a little faster as there would be no 'guesswork' involved with possible hets, etc.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KLG
    ... It certainly doesn't mean that every single ball python with a clear belly is going to produce triple-twin-striped-polka-dot-hubba-bubba-cappafrappalattechino-double-het-for-feet offspring.
    K
    roflmao...het for feet....ah your killin me. that was good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123