Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,271

1 members and 2,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Re: Need help with a betta

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Is the water room temp or "lukewarm"? Lukewarm would be warmer than the room temp water, and you may be stressing him with a temputure change as well as whatever is in the water. You can buy a gallon of distilled water at the store cheap, leave it under your desk so it's the same temps.

The Indian leaves are helpful, a live plant might help him also.

What are you putting him in while you clean? What kind of sponge is it? Many of the kitchen sponges have sulfacates(sp?) in them already since they are designed to be used with dishes and kitchen cleaning. A paper towel might be better.
    I try to put in water that feels a little cold so I guess it's not exactly luke warm, but I wasn't sure how to describe it. The distilled water is a great idea that I hadn't considered and I always seem to kill plants so I'm not positive that will work but it never hurts to try. A bigger tank is out of the question too. I only have so much room at my desk and they might not want me to have a 3-5gallon tank at my desk.

He goes into the little cup I got him in when I clean. I didn't know there were different types of sponges. It's just a typical sponge like one you would use for dishes, but I always rinse it out well before I fill it with water.

I'll give the distilled water and plant a try.

Thanks everyone.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Hey Kinra!

All aquariums despite their size need to cycle properly in order to sustain life. Proper cycling allows beneficial bacteria to grow and fight off and control Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite levels. When 100% water changes are done in small tanks the bio chemistry of the tank is often thrown for a loop and its inhabitants can often pay the price. My best suggestion would be to use the distilled water (the cleaner the better) as mentioned in previous posts and still add a water conditioner and bio support additive to help build a benficial bioload when doing water changes.

I have had feeder goldfish that survived for years on the simple practice of slight water changes every week and the proper use of chemicals.
    Last edited by el8ch; 03-21-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

Thanks

Do not use distilled water for water changes in your aquarium, unless you are mixing it with tap water for the purpose of dilluting minerals to soften the water and bring down the pH.

The minerals introduced through your tap water are essential, and doing water changes with pure distilled water will cause fluctuations to your PH, GH and KH.

The beneficial bacteria in a bottle products marketed are of questionable value. There are several logistical issues with the feasibility of a product like this (ie. how do you keep aerobic bacteria alive in an air-tight container without a food source?). Regardless of whether you think these products are worth anything or not, if your regular maintenance is dependent on them, then you have a fundamental problem.

Beneficial bacteria is not present in the water column. It covers the surfaces of the aquarium, substrate, decor, etc. So if anything, the fact that you're scrubbing everything down is what's removing it, not the fact that you're changing the water. Large water changes are ill-advised because of the sudden swing in water chemistry they cause, which the fish hasn't had time to acclimate to properly, not so much their effects on the bacteria.

If your city treats its water using chloramine you must use a water conditioner to remove this. If your water is treated with only chlorine, it is fine to leave it out to dechlorinate on its own, but be aware that the oxygen content will be low.

Personally I would use water conditioner regardless to save time. Use Seachem Prime. It's a very concentrated formula, and over the lifespan of a bottle, is actually the cheapest brand I've found. It also has the nice benefit of ionizing ammonia into ammonium, which is non-toxic, but again, should not be relied on. It's more of a nice thing to have in a pinch.

Get a filter. Another route to address the problem would be live plants, but I would say look into that later and for now just cycle a filter and use it. Chemical filtration (carbon) is optional, but I've never bothered using it and find that having to replace it frequently is just another hassle and expense. A simple sponge filter should be adequate. Bio-media would be nice too, but you have a very low bio-load so you really don't need much of a filter. Just something.

I highly recommend a heater. Bettas are tropical fish, and thrive best in tropical temperatures.

I would also recommend a larger tank. Ideally I would recommend 5gal or larger (provided adequate cover. I kept my last betta in a 29gal planted community). Waste concentration will accumulate slower in a larger volume of water. Water parameters are more stable, and bettas do actually appreciate a little room to explore and swim. They can be fairly active and curious when housed in ideal conditions.

In regards to the almond leaves....

I use them. They're great. But would not address the problems this fish seems to be having.

EDIT: I should also mention that around this time of the year it's not unheard of for ammonia levels in our tap water to rise, due to the thawing snow. Water companies also put more additives in the water. Just another good reason to use conditioner regardless.
    Last edited by Wiggy; 03-24-2012 at 05:04 AM.

Thanks

Should also point out that the hot water is probably killing off bacteria as well, and is entirely unnecessary...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinra View Post
    The tank doesn't have a filter. It's a small half gallon tank. When I clean the tank I remove him and then scrub everything down using hot water and a sponge, no chemicals. Then I refill the tank with luke warm water, add the water conditioner, give it a minute and then add him back into the tank. There isn't really a way to clean the tank properly (replacing only 50% of the water) like I used to do with my goldfish because the tank is so small. I hadn't considered that cleaning his tank might be stressing him out. Is there any way I can do it that would be less stressful for him?
    Its possible that the water temp is different enough that it shocks him when you put him back in after cleaning the tank. Its not unusual and some fish are just more sensitive then others. When you take him out feel the water and try to make it as close as possible, its probly colder then you would think.
    *M.~

1.0 Western Hognose
    1.0 Cay Caulker boa
    1.0 Ghost Motley Corn
    1.0 Woma python
    1.0 Sumatran STP
    1.0 Cape File Snake
    0.1 Pastel Dream Boa
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa

Thanks

Hi!
    Your betta should have at least a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and heater. When you do water changes, you should change about 25-30% of the water weekly. Changing all of the water at once will put him in shock. When you replace the water, be sure to use water conditioner. I personally use Prime and highly recommend it.
    Good Luck

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emilys_exotics View Post
    Hi!
    Your betta should have at least a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and heater. When you do water changes, you should change about 25-30% of the water weekly. Changing all of the water at once will put him in shock. When you replace the water, be sure to use water conditioner. I personally use Prime and highly recommend it.
    Good Luck
    Grave digging??
    4 year old thread

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (02-15-2016)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12