Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,214

2 members and 3,212 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Overpopulation leads to cannibalism????

with a happy ending!

A couple weeks ago, my mom came to visit. Knowing of my love for cold-blooded creatures (my snakes, not my wife!), my python-regius-a-phobic mother made me promise that during the two days she was here, I would not take the snakes out at all. I agreed, cause the kids wanted to see grandma.
    The day she got here, I finished building my new snake rack, and had just gotten all the critters moved in when she arrived. We had a great day, and the kids were very happy to be able to visit and play with grandma. After grandma and the kids went to sleep in the living room, I went into my bedroom/snakeroom to feed my other children(cold-blooded ones), and watch some Sci-Fi channel. When I went to feed Zeus, my '03 possible possible het piebald, it occurred to me, "Wow, Zeus might be easier to feed if he was in his container!" :shock:
    11pm, python-regius-a-phobic mom sleeping in the living room with three grandkids on the floor, wife asleep, dog locked up, and me with my flashlight......looking EVERYWHERE!

I wasn't worried about not finding him. I knew I would find him eventually. If I didn't find him before morning, it was just a matter of whether I was going to find him flying through the air after my mom found him, or if a kid was going to bring him to me in the middle of the night and say, "Here, daddy, Zeus was sleeping with me."

Ever called your snake? I have. Desperation does strange things to a man's psyche! "Zeuuuuuuuusss.....where are you?"

I had put the new snake rack right next to the door to the room where I keep my breeding rats. I was hoping he went in there looking for an easy meal, but the floor is linoleum, and it was cooooooold! Didn't find him there, or in my bedroom. I actually managed to take all the drawers out of the dresser without waking the wife! I checked under the fridge and stove without waking mom and the kids, too. Then I remembered a post I read by a carpenter. He said that there is a gap under the cabinet in most bathroom cabinet fixtures where a snake could get under the cabinet easily. I looked, and sure enough, there was a gap, but it was in a place that I could not see into the "crawlspace" under the cabinet. I went into the other bathroom and checked, and that cabinet had a space, too. By this point, I was pretty sure he had to be in one of those spots, because I had pretty much quietly torn the house apart, other than those two spots.
    I went back into my bedroom, and was going to start seeing what tools I would need to pry the cabinet off the floor, when I saw the little.................snake.......slithering out from under the cabinet, heading for the toilet. *&$#@! I waited until he was all the way out, so he couldn't pull back inside, and then scooped the freezing guy up.
    He ate a good sized rat about 45 minutes later, so I chalked it up to experience.
    Needless to say, the gap between the top of the rubbermaid and the ceiling was too big!

The wife thought it was funny when I told her the next day. Mom was not amused when I told her two days after she left! :shock:
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Banned
    Thanks
    LOL, you're too lucky!

About 2 months ago Goldy, the big female, managed to get out of the 20 gallon they were in. I went frantic, thinking she'd burrowed into the substrate, then it occured to me she'd escaped. I had Monty and another big female in that same cage, with no weights, and they never got out. So I tore apart the entire bed room and found nothing. I searched three more times and then I felt hopeless. My bedroom is in the basement, and if it escaped the room she as a massive cluttered basement to hide in. So I search one my time, without hope, and find nothing. I go to the 20 gallon to hold my runt, when I see a little head poke out of a folder. When I searched I ruffled the folder pile and she came out. The folder was 2 feet away from the cage... And I tore my room apart. I also had my corn snake escape for a month, then 2 weeks, then a week and a half. Monty has never gotten out for more then 10 mins.

Thanks
    Oh escape stories, I love them so much, lol. Ekeanor has gotten out a couple times (when I go away my cousin takes care of my animals, and Eleanor's screen top is tricky to close) and one time she was missing for a week. I was terrified and assumed she had gotten downstairs into the laundry room and from there into the floor (when I kept pet rats many of them got through that floor to the basement). After a week of tearing the whole house apart I decided to rearrange my room. Eleanor's 40 gallon was propped up on books because of the UTH, so I slid the books out and went to set the cage on the floor, but it didn't move! I quickly realized I was smushing something and had to lift the very awkward and very heavy cage (I'm a little person, lol). Eleanor was fine, I just couldnt believe she'd been there for a week and not bothered moving! Must have been the heat! All the other times she's gotten out I've found her crammed inside the heat register (luckily it's never been turned on). And also, luckily, she's gotten to big to fit in there anymore!

Banned
    Thanks
    I remember Don's rocky got out, and it'd been like 2 weeks. We were talking on the phone, he hadn't done much searching. So I convinced him to go take a look around his room. Poof, 10 minutes later he finds him.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I still keep an eye out for my king now and again, and it's been about 2 months since he's disappeared. I'm sure he's long gone but I'll never give up hope.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    haha ... sorry to say but never been bit or had an escape for the whole 7-8 months I had my snake... And Plank ..Great Minds think alike because my Bps name is also Zeus
    http://www.theoscion.com/forum/
    For computers and Technology..come by

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

colubrids!!! :)

don't be sorry to say it, you're lucky.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks

I'm a Genius

Atreyu has escaped twice. The first time I found him under the desk his cage was on...the second time I found him in my daughters closet! Both times I at least knew what room he was in, as the cat wouldnt set paw in that room.

Has anyone else called in to work saying "I'm gonna be late...my snake escaped!"?
    Franni

1.0 BP, T'gai
    0.1 Bearded Dragon, Kirk
    1.0 Sugar Glider, Sweet Baby James
    0.2 Cats, Lucy & Luna
    1.0 Demon Dog, Max
    0.1 GF, Kim