Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,640

2 members and 2,638 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phil

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Here's a shot of Phil I just took a couple of minutes ago, lounging atop his flowerpot. In my gallery I have a more "pulled back" shot of his terrarium.

The cloth you can see hanging in the background is kind of a cheap humidifier system. I have a sheet of plexiglass tie-strapped to the underside of the screen top on that side (at the advice of a friend to prevent nose scrapes), and the cloth partially lays atop that plexiglass. One of the "little dripper" bottles can be opened to allow a slow drip on to the fabric (which is an unbleached muslin), and the water will wick down the fabric where it can evaporate in the terrarium to help raise the humidity.

Phil turns 4 months old today. I might just see if he'll show any more interest in the rat I got him Tuesday evening. It's the first time I've tried to feed him a rat, and he showed some curiosity, but not much inclination to feed on it Tuesday evening. Since it was a freshly killed rat, I went ahead and wrapped it back up and stuck it in the freezer.

Banned
    Thanks

Phil

Is that a custom built cage? Got any pics of it?

Thanks
    I like your humidifier idea!
    I'd love to see some more shots of Phil's pattern...looks pretty cool!
    I'm a sucker for a sweet pattern!
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Nope, the terrarium is a commercially available 20G long, with screen over one half and the hinged glass lid over the other. The pegboard in the background covers (along with some styrofoam insulation) an old window over my desk, and I have most of my ocarina collection hanging from the pegboard, as well as the Little Dripper bottle.

I have a UTH positioned nearly under the shallow dish hiding spot, with several layers of newspaper to keep it from getting potentially hot enough to cause damage.

I'll watch for him to get nicely stretched out so I can get a better picture of his pattern.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Little easier to see what I was describing this way.

Banned
    Thanks
    I saw the peg board and thought it was the ventilation for a custom cage. I notice that babies often love climbing. When I bought Monty I also bought a big bendable fake stick. I made it so it covers a good 75% of the cage and he'd climb it and sleep in the branches. I guess when they get 3 pounds and stop being so hyper, they don't see the need.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

OK, here's most of Phil stretched out. The photo is a bit dark, as I didn't want to brighten things up too much on him tonight. He's in the process of the first shedding since I've had him, and I get the idea he prefers to be out of the light for that.

He really seems to like the edges of the hole in the flower pot for rubbing the loose skin against to help remove it. Fortunately, too, with a rain storm having just gone through the area yesterday, our humidity is up much higher than normal.

Banned
    Thanks
    Lets wish Phil luck. How long has he been in shed?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Near as I can tell, just a day now. How long does it usually take?
    We do not quit playing because we grow old; we grow old because we quit playing.

Banned
    Thanks
    A week or less. Mine sometimes take 4 days. It varies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast