Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

2 members and 2,865 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Grandkids & baby Ball

Advice on substrate for a baby Ball Python. I had a Ball for years when my boys were little, so I’m not a first timer. I’m going to buy a baby Ball (hopefully a Pied) to introduce my grandkids to herps – the snake will live with me but the 4 year old twinz will be the “owners”. I still have my 100 gal aquarium and the top of the cage heat lamps (new bulbs will be needed of course), and some great wood and rock hides, but haven’t had anything live in there for about 10 years. It’s got clean playsand (bought from hardware store), and for the last 8 years has only housed my collection of fossils and rocks. I know sand is not a good substrate for Balls, but could I just cover the sand with a few inches of pine or sphagnum? The tank is plenty deep, and I think the sand would look cool underneath, but the health of the snake is my main concern. Advice?

Thanks
    A 100 gallon tank would be massive and stressful for a baby ball. It might be better to get a much smaller enclosure, say a 10 or 20 gallon, or even a sterilite tub. BPs feel secure in small, dark environments, something huge glass tanks can't really provide.

I would recommend either aspen or paper towel/newspaper as a substrate.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Re: Grandkids & baby Ball

Agreed that tank would be too big for a baby ball. If you want a substrate that looks nice, also helps with humidity, Eco Earth works great. Btw, cool that you are introducing them to snakes.
    Last edited by DooLittle; 03-18-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts
    Don't forget belly heat

Thanks

I would agree I would not put a baby ball in anything bigger than a 20L aquarium but a shoebox tub would do very nicely as well. As for Substrate I relly like Eco Earth in my aquariums it really helps hold humidity. If you do get an aquarium cover 3 sides with something to block out the light and motion. I use aquarium background but anything dark would do I have even seen some use black construction paper.
    Robie

2.0 Normal Ball Pythons Peek a Boo & Dezmond
    1.0 Black Pewter Ball Python Pepe Le Pewter
    0.1 Piebald Ball Python Slinky
    0.1 Siberian Husky Danadog
    2.5 Fancy Rat's Patch, Robin Hood, Lucky, Lucy, Bolt, Cinnamon, Patcheta
    1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Welcome to BP.net!!!

A sand base will thwart any attempt you make at providing belly heat with a UTH. You need to re-think that plan right off the bat. Secondly, please do not use pine anything as a substrate. Any pine substrate can hold pine sap that is not good for your BP's scales, and a higher levels can be toxic.

I agree with the rest that a 100 gal tank is far too large for a baby BP. If you are set on using a tank for your snake, please invest in a 20 gal long and read the following:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...p-w-pics-*DUW*

Good luck!
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    I don't know if this will work, but you may be able to put a divider in your 100 gal aquarium to make it "smaller" for the snake until it gets bigger and just increase the size of the area for the little guy! I do agree with the UTH for the snake though!

Thanks
    As everyone else has said, the 100 gal is going to be way too large for a baby ball. Also, using that large of an aquarium and trying to heat it with lights is going to suck all the humidity out of the air and will cause shedding problems. I want to add though that if you're going to use a tank setup, you should really take the sand completely out of the tank. Even if you cover it with a layer of aspen or cypress, your snake could easily burrow beneath the wood shavings and could potentially ingest the sand which could cause your ball to become impacted.
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

Thanks

Thanx. I'll get a smaller tank. I'm looking for a special baby, and want it to be healthy & happy. As for under the tank heat, I thought that was a big no no?

Thanks
    Under-tank heaters can be great! It's not a big no-no unless it is left unregulated, which leaves the opportunity for product failure and burns to your snake. Belly heat is a very valuable asset and can be a great option, as long as the heat source is regulated with a thermostat or at least a rheostat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast