Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,886

2 members and 2,884 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

wondering if should try or wait

Iam just wanting to do the best thing for my new snake .. he came home with us on sat of last week so tommorrow will be a week exactly so far I have seen him come out and about at night exploring and just a few times during the day peek his head out of his hide I was planning on trying to feed tommorrow and if he didn't seem interested or take it then I planned to just put him back and leave him be for another week to try again.. does this sound like it would be ok to do or should I wait even longer to try at all ? Iam still very nervous about him And I'm scared to do anything to stress him to make him not like me or feeding .
    Iam also still pretty anxious about holding I'm so use to my lil corns that I'm just not so scars to be bit for my own sake as more for him! I just fear that no matter how much I tell myself if he bites don't jerk I'm Fear that I might hurt him on accident if a bite does happen plus it almost seems like he's almost always looks like s shape

Thanks
    So you haven't tried to feed him yet? Won't know until you try. You can attempt to feed him tomorrow if you feel comfortable, or you can wait. Your decision. He sounds like he is doing fine and it would be worth a try. A week is a pretty good waiting period.

If he bites you, it most certainly won't hurt him. Don't stress about it too much.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rebelrachel13 For This Useful Post:

snakeluvr#3 (03-17-2012)

Thanks

Re: wondering if should try or wait

Oh no haven't tried yet lol sorry to make it sound confusing and yea that's kinda what I thought so ill give it a try

Thanks
    I got my BP only three days ago, and the box ended up breaking before we got back home. He was a bit nervous about being handled but quickly relaxed. No biting, no problems. This is my first snake. I think you should be okay handling them, although I really don't have the experience to tell you that for sure. It just seems that they are pretty calm natured.

Thanks
    Yea feeding him tomorrow will be perfectly fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DShaw For This Useful Post:

snakeluvr#3 (03-17-2012)

Thanks
    Go ahead and try feeding him. Though I would recommend feeding in the enclosure; many bp's won't eat in a separate feeding container, and it is an unnecessary stress.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Herps View Post
    Go ahead and try feeding him. Though I would recommend feeding in the enclosure; many bp's won't eat in a separate feeding container, and it is an unnecessary stress.

Really???
    See I hear a lot of both.. to feed in and to feed in seperate containers my only fear would be then won't he become to think our hands are food I do understand that completely about adding more stress but I'm afraid to increase chances of him becoming aggressive or biting

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakeluvr#3 View Post
    Really???
    See I hear a lot of both.. to feed in and to feed in seperate containers my only fear would be then won't he become to think our hands are food I do understand that completely about adding more stress but I'm afraid to increase chances of him becoming aggressive or biting
    You're much more likely to get bit while transferring them (also, moving them for feedings can cause issues), and most ball pythons are shy eaters; they're not going to bite unless they're sure it's food. And sometimes not even then. Aggression is really not a concern with ball pythons. And even if you get bit once or twice (it's bound to happen with any snake), it's no big deal at all.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...-separate-cage

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    The whole cage aggression (BP thinks that anything entering the cage is food) is a myth. They are smarter than that. They definatly can tell the difference between your hand and a rat. The only time you will have an issue is if you smell like a rat, because then they smell rat and can "see" a heat signature so that's 2 strikes against you. BP's are pretty much rocks, very few are aggressive... They are wired to try to hide not attack.

I have been bit a few times and every time it was clearly my fault for doing something that I shouldn't have.

Also a bite from a small BP really doesn't hurt at all. In fact the first time I got bit I didn't even notice till I looked down. A full grown BP packs some more punch.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 03-17-2012 at 03:29 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Ok well it seems that is what ill do then .. now should we dobthe same as with my corns ill hold mouse with tongs and let them strike or just drop it in? Or does it just depend because only one out of my three corns will attempt to strike but seems to prefer us just to let him be with his food

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast