Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,423

0 members and 2,423 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Can I?

Thanks

Just saying hi :)

Can I house a female and male bp together? I dont see why just gotta feed seperate
    http://www.theoscion.com/forum/
    For computers and Technology..come by

Thanks

Can I?

It is possible, and many people do it. You have to be extra careful, however, about diseases, parasites, etc. If one of them has a runny poo, or regurges, you may not know which one it was. If it is a regurge, and you don't know who it was, you will have to make both wait the three weeks before feeding again.
    If you make sure to observe them closely, and have quarantined both, and know they are healthy, you can try it.
    Remember, however, that they will go off feed if they feel stressed. Also, after feeding them, either wash them off, or house them seperately overnight, so they don't go after each other (they will smell like rat to each other.)
    Competition for best hides, warmest spots, etc are all things to watch for. If they are laying on top of each other, that doesn't mean they like each other, they just both want to be in the same spot.
    I guess the bottom line is if you have time to dedicate to closely observing them, you can try it. I think it is too much work, however.
    If the issue is that you don't have enough enclosures, I would suggest putting one in a rubbermaid/sterilite until you can get something else figured out. You can get a rubbermaid or sterilite sweater or blanket box at Wal-Mart, Super Kmart, Super Target, etc, for about $5-$10, and put a human heat pad ($13) under one end. Add water and a couple hides, and you are good to go. This is how I have most of mine housed, except I use heat tape instead of a heat pad. You can also find used aquariums at yard sales or second hand stores for cheap. Check with any fish stores to see if they have any aquariums that aren't watertight. They usually get rid of them cheap.
    Bottom line.......
    My belief is that there are too many reasons not to do it, but yes, it is POSSIBLE.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx