Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,822

2 members and 2,820 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Adjusting Humidity and temp to optimum levels......

EyeLashViper here....
    I have been feeding my BPs at just about anytime of the day since I initially purchased them 6 months ago and they have accepted live prey readily but now that I am in the process of transitioning them over to pre-killed prey I am wondering if it might not be better to feed them in the evening when they become more active and are prowling around.Would it be better for me to introduce the P/K prey item in the evening hours rather than during the day when it appears to me that my pythons are very inactive and appear to be "sleeping"? I am planning to introduce the prey item at about 7:30 or 8:00 pm near the hide box and hope for the best to see if my pythons will accept a pre-killed.I truly appreciate what ever advice you all may have and I apologize in advance for posting so frequently but I am apt to do so....

8) EyeLashViper

Thanks

When is the best time to attempt feeding?

Have you considered conditioning your BP's to readily accept prey off of hemostats? This greatly helps the whole switching over process.

K
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ummm....I am not exactly sure what a hemostat is??? is like a pair of forceps by chance?
    EyeLashViper

Banned
    Thanks
    It is in some ways a good thing you post often and ask such questions. It keeps the forums active enough to keep everyone from getting bored. But it allows people to learn. I realize, and I hope, that my site is a source of knowledge for new keepers. I hope that within a year my site will be among the top on search engines, and thus become a major recource for bp related info, and other species. So when a new owner, or researcher stops by they can view the old forums and learn a bit more. The forums are as much educational as the caresheets.

I bet, since you talked about this in your last post, it'd be easier to feed at night. Being nocturnal, well sorta, they might benefit from being fed at nights. I feed at around 5:00, and that works. From what I've seen, timing does not matter.

Thanks
    I have found that feeding at night entices my reluctant feeders a little more. I have some that will eat anytime, so I feed them when it is convenient for me. The ones that I am trying to switch over, or that are shy feeders, I feed at night.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Thanks

Thanks guys....

Quote Originally Posted by RPlank
    I have found that feeding at night entices my reluctant feeders a little more. I have some that will eat anytime, so I feed them when it is convenient for me. The ones that I am trying to switch over, or that are shy feeders, I feed at night.

I second that...

-Jeremy

Thanks
    I would add that you might want to consider using a feeding box instead of feeding them in their enclosure. This will condition the snake not strike at the first thing that enters its environment. I use this method with good success.

Banned
    Thanks
    I actually feed in the cage, I used a shoe box but never really liked it. Feeding outside the cage is a good idea. It is more for the keepers safety, doesn't make any difference to the snake. I've never been bitten while going to pick up any of my snakes either. In fact the only time I've ever gotten bitten while feeding was when I was feeding outside the cage. That was my fault tho, and man can they bite.

Feeding outside the cage is great practice for big boid owners. Such as burms, retics, ect. If you have a big boid that can kill you in minutes you'd take any step to prevent that.

It's all the owners opinion. But often picking them up and moving them to a special feeding area can make them not eat. I've had my babies refuse when I've held them right before. So I wait 10 mins and come back.