Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,937

1 members and 2,936 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    Okay, based on the information that was provided by all who responded to my last posting on optimum humidity levels for my BPs I am going to drop my humidity level DOWN from the 75% that I was maintaining to about a steady 55-60% - I now would like to know what you all feel is the optimum temp to maintain.Right now I try to simulate an African day by turning on my heat lamps at about 7:30 in the am and allowing the temp in the enclosures to peak at about 88-90 degrees on the hot end during mid-day then I begin a gradual cool down and finally turn off the lamps at about 5:30 pm and allow the temp to stabilize at about 84 degrees during the course of the nite.I have observed that my pythons spend the hot part of the day virtually motionless and quiet but as soon as it cools off and becomes dark they "wake up" and begin to prowl around - no doubt searching for prey as I as sure they would be doing in the wild.This is just my observation that I have made but it is indeed interesting to me.I am finding that the closer you simulate an animals natural enviroment the more they start behaving as they would in the wild.I am sure that most of you already have observed this or know about it but it is very interesting to me as a "newbie" to witness this kind of stuff.I look forward to your input on the heating aspects of this post...
    EyeLashViper

Banned
    Thanks
    My ball pythons sleep when not being held, bt if I wake up at night and look in their cage they are slithering around like mad.

Your temps seem good, pretty much perfect. You should go check the care guide I wrote. It is broken down into different parts for easy viewing. It probly has a lot of typos and such cause I haven't gone through it with a fine tooth comb yet.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hey Thanks Ball Kingdom!!!!
    I must admit that hearing that my temps are pretty much perfect really made my whole day coming from someone more experienced than I.That made me feel real good that I am on the right track with my BP husbandry!!!! Thankyou!!!!!

EyeLashViper

Banned
    Thanks
    By the way, it is a good idea to always have a 90 degree basking area, thats something thats missing.

Thanks
    Ball pythons are nocturnal. They hunt at night. This is their natural instinct. Your humidity seems OK, just make sure to raise it during the shed. Temperatures should include a basking area, definitely. The snake will make its preference known by going to the warm or cool area of the enclosure. Good luck!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I will say that your temperatures are ok. But the humidity, i would recommend you to try to raised it to the high 60 or 70. So she is always at the same humidity not only when she is going to shed she have a high humidity. If you keep the enclousure clean you don't have to worry about bacterias because of the humidity.