Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,874

1 members and 2,873 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Buying a collection, need to quarentine but can't. Any suggestions?

Aright well tommorow I plan to go look at a collection for sale a little ways away. Now before you criticize, this is the background info. I found out about a guy selling several ball pythons, which was on craigslist. I know, not craigslist! But this story is much to elaborate to be a scam or fake. So here it is:

My cousin's husband passed away and he collected and bread snakes. I am trying to sell the snake(s) and equipment for her. Neither of us know a whole lot on snakes but would like to try and get rid of them. I have done a lot of research on what they typically sell for along with what the used equipment sells for. I will also entertain any reasonable offer as they need to go. We are unsure as to the specific age of the snakes (some are 2-4 years old). We will also give you a better deal if you buy more than one. Here is a general list as to what kind of snakes they are:

The story is that the man who passed actually committed suicide due to a seperation from his wife. Leaving her with his collection, this worries be because the man said all of his hatchlings had died. Which kind of makes me wonder if there may be a disease going through them all.

Now, I have no idea how to go about quarentining 10 snakes, not to mention what to look for as for problems. Does this sound to risky to anyone else. It's a hell of a deal and I would rather see them go to someone who is going to care for them. Also, has anyone heard of any IBD outbreaks lately?
    Jackwagon Exotics Check out our page on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jackwa...81135488588036

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    They do not need to be quarantined separately, you only need to separate them from your established snakes. That is not to say that they should be kept in the same enclosure, but they could all be in the same rack, and your established snakes in another rack (or whatever you house them in)

I would only work with your established snakes one day, then the next only work with the new ones. this minimizes contamination between the 2 groups.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (03-06-2012),Fila (03-06-2012),RideRed12 (03-06-2012)

Thanks

Re: Buying a collection, need to quarentine but can't. Any suggestions?

I'm not following your story, but being that it's irrelevant in regards to your ability or inability to quarantine, I'll just leave you with this...

Not a good idea. I personally wouldn't risk buying a collection in which a few, if not several snakes died over a short period. I definitely would not buy and resell a collection in which a few, if not several snakes died over a short period. It would be a risk to my snakes(even with quarantine), and it would be a risk to any buyers' snakes. As for recent IBD outbreaks, I do not need to hear of them in order to know that it is out there.

Do what you're gonna do, but be well aware of the risks. My concern would not be so much for your snakes as it would be for the snakes of people who would buy from you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

RideRed12 (03-06-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
    I'm not following your story, but being that it's irrelevant in regards to your ability or inability to quarantine, I'll just leave you with this...

Not a good idea. I personally wouldn't risk buying a collection in which a few, if not several snakes died over a short period. I definitely would not buy and resell a collection in which a few, if not several snakes died over a short period. It would be a risk to my snakes(even with quarantine), and it would be a risk to any buyers' snakes. As for recent IBD outbreaks, I do not need to hear of them in order to know that it is out there.

Do what you're gonna do, but be well aware of the risks. My concern would not be so much for your snakes as it would be for the snakes of people who would buy from you.
    Cannot agree more man, my story is really jumbled as it is a long story short. I do believe the hatchlings died because of improper care as the husband passed about a month ago. He also has two boa's and that is what makes me think IBD, I still plan to go up and look at them, for sure get a real story.

I'm just stuck, its too good of a deal to pass up but its for sure not worth the life of my snakes. Any other advice?

Thanks
    Anyone have any other input?

Thanks
    when you come back from looking at the collection, wether you buy anything or not, take a shower and change your clothes before you go anywhere near your established snakes.
    ~Aaron

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

apple2 (03-06-2012),RideRed12 (03-06-2012)

Thanks

Agreed, I'm super nervous. Its a decent collection but I have limited info, is it really worth risking my collection to go look at?>

Thanks
    it could be. I would at least look.
    ~Aaron

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

RideRed12 (03-06-2012)

Thanks

I don't if it is a risk to just go look at. I would defently ask what happened with the hatchlings how long after the mans death dead they die. because it could of easiely been from inadiquet care. and then these that are full grown are probably not in the best care neither. I would just ask as much questions as you can and look at each one individually. If the money is at a good price for what you are getting, I wouldn't not go. besides it might be in the best intrest of the snakes to remove them even if you can get a rescue org to get them.
    The only way to shine your light is in the dark...Never let life kill your spark- Crown the Empire

14. The Following User Says Thank You to crepers86 For This Useful Post:

RideRed12 (03-06-2012)

Thanks

Aaron, can't thank you enough man. For this question and the the question earlier on the heat tape. Thats two issues you and a few other people have helped me solve tonight. Crepers you deserve credit as well, those are great arguements that I need to hear just for peice of mind.

The price is great, and I know those snakes won't survive much longer where they are. Someone has been changing water and feeding but I guarentee cleanliness isnt to my standards. I clean my tubs every week and I still dont think thats enough.
    Last edited by RideRed12; 03-06-2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Add crepers for thanks

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RideRed12 For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (03-06-2012)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast