Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,683

2 members and 2,681 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Show me some pictures!

I just have a ball python but I've always loved anacondas. I don't think I'd ever own one but I'm very fascinated with them. I would really like to see everybody's anacondas! pictures please! How do you keep these huge snakes?? Like do you give them your whole basement? Haha just curious.. Especially because they are water snakes.. Wouldn't you need like a huge pool for them? Don't they get to be like 20 feet long?

Thanks

Re: Show me some pictures!

The building an entire room to keep one is completley false, you can do it but its not necassary. I keep mine in a 55gal aquarium with a large cat litter bix filled with water.

Anacondas can reach 20ft but a more believable lenght is about 18ft, and thats for a female. Males stay a little smaller.

Heres my little monster....

1.0 Green Anaconda-(No Name)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa-(Pandora)
    0.1 Leucistic Texas Rat-(Luna)
    1.0 Albino Texas Rat-(Jolly)
    1.0 Hypo Everglades Rat-(Koba)
    0.0.2 Black Rat-(Bonne & Clyde)
    1.0 Ornate Nile Monitor-(Dracula)
    0.0.1 Green Bottle Blue Tarantula-(No Name)

R.I.P. Shebah

Thanks
    That's so cool! I love their eyes! So how big of a tank do you have to put them in when they get like 18 feet?

Thanks

Well my male will probly only get about 8-12ft if im luck. Im keeping him on a strick feeding schedule. I plan to build him a custom enclosure when he hits adulthood, im thinking a 6'x4' custom wood enclosure with built in heat lamps and sliding plexiglass doors. Im going to try to provide him with a big enough water bowl but its hard to place kiddy pools in enclosure lol and even harder to change them daily, so i have to find another alternative to keep his humidity up in the 60s-80s.

Anacondas are truely rewarding and awesome to own but they deffinantly aint your typical snake. I had wanted one since i was a kid an when i got him i was overwelmed with excitment. But when it comes to the though of training and handling it scares the crap outta me. Regardless of how excited i am to work with him and get him tame you always have to remember annies are unpredictable. They'll act like your best friend and then when you least expect it you'll have one latched onto you. But you cant let that scare you, they tame down just as much as any snake.

R.I.P. Shebah

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drama x View Post
    Well my male will probly only get about 8-12ft if im luck. Im keeping him on a strick feeding schedule. I plan to build him a custom enclosure when he hits adulthood, im thinking a 6'x4' custom wood enclosure with built in heat lamps and sliding plexiglass doors. Im going to try to provide him with a big enough water bowl but its hard to place kiddy pools in enclosure lol and even harder to change them daily, so i have to find another alternative to keep his humidity up in the 60s-80s.

Anacondas are truely rewarding and awesome to own but they deffinantly aint your typical snake. I had wanted one since i was a kid an when i got him i was overwelmed with excitment. But when it comes to the though of training and handling it scares the crap outta me. Regardless of how excited i am to work with him and get him tame you always have to remember annies are unpredictable. They'll act like your best friend and then when you least expect it you'll have one latched onto you. But you cant let that scare you, they tame down just as much as any snake.
    Just a suggestion for your custom enclosure:

Ditch the heat lamp and use a Radiant Heat Panel. RHP's are much safer and don't kill the humidity the way heat lamps do.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Just a suggestion for your custom enclosure:

Ditch the heat lamp and use a Radiant Heat Panel. RHP's are much safer and don't kill the humidity the way heat lamps do.
    Good lookin, you've helped me out way to much today lol.

R.I.P. Shebah