Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,882

1 members and 2,881 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Starting a new project...

As much as I love my snakes, they don't keep me busy enough I've had fish a lot longer and there's one thing about breeding fish thats great, it doesn't take forever! Lol... I've bred mollies and that was fun so I'm going to start a muppy project (molly x guppy)

The tank is 10 gallons and fully cycled. It currently houses 1 female betta and I will be adding 2 young female mollies and 1 male guppy, possibly some snails...

Pics! I've heavily 'planted' it and made some hiding spots. Hopefully I'll be getting some babies in the near future Please excuse the mess, I took pics without flash so also excuse the picture quality! When I get the fish, I'll put pics of them here too.

~My Crew~
    "Darigan" Dinker, "Mandark" Mojave, "Daedra" Lesser ph Ghost, "Voodoo" Black Pastel Ghost, "Astoria" Calibee

Thanks
    No love for the fishes? Lol
    ~My Crew~
    "Darigan" Dinker, "Mandark" Mojave, "Daedra" Lesser ph Ghost, "Voodoo" Black Pastel Ghost, "Astoria" Calibee

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Looks great! Did you use any live plants? How did you cycle it without fish? Used gravel or dirty filters possibly?

I've dabbled in fish but one of the floor jacks in my crawls pace broke last year and my floor dropped an inch in places. Not an easy or fast fix. For some reason all the houses in my neighborhood on a crawl space have a line of jacks running down the main floor support so I sold my fish and took down my 75 gal. It was too heavy.

I had a large healthy school of 6 Bala's, all over 8 inches long, a huge 14 year old common pleco, a rainbow cat that was about 7 inches, and strangely, a female betta that no one ever bothered lol! She was very personable!

Thanks
    I need to get me some fish, I havent had any since I was 12

And thats got to be one of the nicest 10g setups ive seen, good luck with making muppies
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cmack91 For This Useful Post:

SnakeKittyFishy (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    That looks great!! Makes me want to pimp out my 10gallon. Right now it's just running a filter and has no plants or fish in it. One day I'll get it going....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rebelrachel13 For This Useful Post:

SnakeKittyFishy (03-02-2012)

Thanks

Re: Starting a new project...

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    Looks great! Did you use any live plants? How did you cycle it without fish? Used gravel or dirty filters possibly?

I've dabbled in fish but one of the floor jacks in my crawls pace broke last year and my floor dropped an inch in places. Not an easy or fast fix. For some reason all the houses in my neighborhood on a crawl space have a line of jacks running down the main floor support so I sold my fish and took down my 75 gal. It was too heavy.

I had a large healthy school of 6 Bala's, all over 8 inches long, a huge 14 year old common pleco, a rainbow cat that was about 7 inches, and strangely, a female betta that no one ever bothered lol! She was very personable!
    Thanks! No live plants in it, I thought of doing it but too much work. I've had this set up for so I can't remember exactly, I think I just let it cycle for a month or so until the water parameters were right. I think I did use some used gravel to help it cycle faster though. Fish are definitely fun to have, at one point I had 6 tanks up and running, 2.5g, 2x 10g, 40g, 55g, and 75g. I miss them!
    ~My Crew~

Thanks

Re: Starting a new project...

Plants don't have to be any more work than the fish. In some cases, less. People like to over-complicate it or dabble aimlessly until they make a mess.

Diana Walstaad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. Look into it. Great book. Details a simple method for keeping live plants. That's only a small part of what makes it such a good book to have though.

Might be a nice low-budget project for you to try someday, if you haven't already

Don't currently have fish, but working on getting my tanks set up again. I miss my CO2 injected tanks
    Last edited by Wiggy; 03-03-2012 at 05:55 PM.