Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,520

1 members and 3,519 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scale shedding?

Thanks
    Atreyu has been shedding individual scales for about a week now...any clue what this is?

Thanks

Scale shedding?

I am not sure, but maybe it is scale rot. I would do a bit of research on it. Also might want to consult a vet who is knowledgeable on herps. In all the years I have had snakes, never have I seen that happen where just the scales are coming off.
    Jeanne

Thanks

sheeding scales

I did a little research, however, not alot. You can find plenty of info on scale rot on the net, I found a page, but cant remember the site, it had pics of a boa with scale rot...it looked like what Atreyu has, although, I could be wrong. Below I pasted a little of the info I found in different sites. I really think you should consult a herp vet on this to make sure this is not what Atreyu has. I hope this helps.
    Jeanne

1.SCALE ROT (SNAKES AND LIZARDS)
    Usually a fungal condition, scale rot usually occurs when reptiles are in surroundings which are too cold and/or moist. When affected, scales, usually the ventral ones, appear to die, and eventually fall away from the body. The affected areas should be dried, cleaned and painted with a drying solution such as mercurichrome. This process should be repeated as necessary.
    The reptile should also have its' surroundings altered so that the condition does not recur. Scale rot can sometimes take quite a while to heal.

2.Ventral scale rot or Ulcerative dermatitis... Very common with Royal pythons (Python regius) and other heavy bodied boas and pythons kept with under floor heating such as a heat mat. These snakes produce large amounts of liquid urates with their faecal matter which "cooks" into a bacterial soup over the heat mat. The snake has no choice other than to lay in it and thus the ventral scales become infected. First signs are pinkish red patches that develop into sores that eventually rot through into the body cavity. Death is almost certain in later stages, this can take less than six weeks. These species are best suited to something like a ceramic heater mounted on the ceiling of the vivarium

Thanks

scale shedding

It's me again!!!

Ok I found the site again with pics of a boa with scale rot, If you scroll down on the page, you will see them, click on them for a better view. The first pic looks like what Atreyu may have. Check it out.
    Jeanne

www.chondroboa.com/bacteria.htm

Thanks

scale shedding

You are just so helpful...thanks so much for the time you've taken checking this out.

I just checked out that page....and when I looked real close, it looks like what that snake had was very moist. Atreyu doesn't have anything like that...his are completely dry, and is like each scale is shedding. And I have noticed that it is only happening on his 'spots', it isn't happening to the black base color of his body. Nor his belly.

I guess I'll keep a close eye on him, and if it gets any worse, make an appointment with the vet.

Thanks again, Jeanne, for the time you've spent checking this out.

Sass
    Franni

1.0 BP, T'gai
    0.1 Bearded Dragon, Kirk
    1.0 Sugar Glider, Sweet Baby James
    0.2 Cats, Lucy & Luna
    1.0 Demon Dog, Max
    0.1 GF, Kim

Banned
    Thanks
    That's not scale rot, could be a burn. Explain what it's like. Dry, flakey, maybe an infection?

Thanks
    No chance of a burn...he stays on the cool side of his enclosure. And the heat source is a heat bulb, on the outside of the cage, with screen blocking it. He cant even get up that high to get close to it.

Its just like each scale is shedding...like the outer layer of the scale is peeling off. And only on his spots. There's no fluid, nothing. I'm going to start dabbing him with a triple antibiotic....just in case it is an infection.
    Franni

1.0 BP, T'gai
    0.1 Bearded Dragon, Kirk
    1.0 Sugar Glider, Sweet Baby James
    0.2 Cats, Lucy & Luna
    1.0 Demon Dog, Max
    0.1 GF, Kim

Thanks
    I am curious about whether you found out why your snake was shedding scales?? Our BP seems to be having a similar problem. In reading, it sounded like either a bacterial or fungal dermatitis, treatable with Neosporin. Curious about what you found out and what you did about it.

Thanks

Losing Scales

I think it was because of his last shed. It was sort of a bad shed, it came off in many pieces. I did coat the spots with a triple antibiotic until his next shed. That shed was good, although I had to help him a bit. He refuses to soak on his own, so I had to soak him in the sink. After the soak, which didnt last long cuz he wanted OUT, he slid through my hands and shed in one piece. The scales that were funky before are fine now. If you look REAL close, the scales have a bit of wrinkling to them...but otherwise perfectly fine.

Sass

Thanks
    It's definately not scale rot. It's to dry and clean for it and it's on his back, scale rot begins on the belly.
    My BP had this also. I was at the vet (for some shots against worms etc.) and I let her look at it. It's caused by a difficult previous shed or treatment of the skin with some substance. As you said he had a bad shed and you coat the spots with a triple antibiotic. That's why the scales are coming off like this. Nothing to worry about, just keep the humidity up for his next shed and he will be fine.
    1.1 Python regius (Monty Python & Cheetah)
    1.1 Gerrhosaurus major (Falkor & Gizmo)
    0.0.2 Cordylus tropidosternum (Rocco & Senna)
    expected September 3rd, 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast