Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,377

1 members and 2,376 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Saltwater Tank Progress

Ok, I just figured I would make a new thread and put all my new pictures here, and keep adding!

From the start, 90 gallon tank

Rarely seen cat fish in the sump tank

Just so you can see the stand, we hard lined the plumbing and got a different sump tank

With a couple rocks

Cute snail, they stay under the sand during the day and put that little snorkel thing through the sand

Skimmer

Yellow Tail Damsels

And here is where we are tonight! Oh and the Blenny we got 6 days ago by accident is still alive and kickin! I can't believe he lived through not being in water for 40 minutes, and cycling the tank-which I assume is still cycling since it has only been a week.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 12-16-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks
    You are in the middle of a cycle, that is why it is cloudy.....it doesn't look like your drain is going through a prefilter or anything......just down to a tank, and back up through your return pump......gonna have nitrogen problems in the future.....gonna want another 50-75lbs of live rock, and good sump with prefilter......nice skimmer though......

Good luck with it.....

Jason

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JTrott For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (12-16-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Saltwater Tank Progress

Quote Originally Posted by JTrott View Post
    You are in the middle of a cycle, that is why it is cloudy.....it doesn't look like your drain is going through a prefilter or anything......just down to a tank, and back up through your return pump......gonna have nitrogen problems in the future.....gonna want another 50-75lbs of live rock, and good sump with prefilter......nice skimmer though......

Good luck with it.....

Jason
    We also stirred up a lot of sand because we just put those rocks in, but it definitely needs some filtering. The sump tank is getting set up tomorrow. We put glass panels in the tank yesterday so it's curing today. The water will go into the area where the skimmer is, and there will be filters/live rock in the sump tank. I'm not exactly sure how it will work, my fiance is in charge of that. And we are definitely getting more rock!

Thanks
    If you have any questions, just post, or send me a PM.....I have been doing saltwater, and working in Saltwater fish stores for about 7 years now.......can pretty much help with MOST common stuff.....let me know.......you on any saltwater forums?

Jason

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JTrott For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (12-16-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you have any questions, just post, or send me a PM.....I have been doing saltwater, and working in Saltwater fish stores for about 7 years now.......can pretty much help with MOST common stuff.....let me know.......you on any saltwater forums?

Jason
    Cool thanks! I'm on saltwaterfish.com, but I'm not very active on there. Is there a better one out there?

Thanks
    The best one that I have found is reefcentral.com......great pics, great people....

Jason

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JTrott For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (12-17-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The best one that I have found is reefcentral.com......great pics, great people....

Jason
    I might have to check it out!

I got some pics this morning! Only the blue lights are on so it's pretty blue!

This cat just loves the tank, her and the Blenny are friends

The Blenny

Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 12-17-2011 at 11:46 AM.

BPnet Veteran Jonas@Balls2TheWall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Reefcentral and nanoreefs are great forums to learn on. I agree, you need more live rock. I would search those forums on the stages of the cycle and what order to add inhabitants. I always did: live rock then a clean up crew, then fish, then corals. That was a while ago though and the hobby progresses some times. It is very important to know the timeline of things because there are steps that will make you think you are going backwards but actually they are supposed to happen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas@Balls2TheWall For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (12-18-2011)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Looks nice, you have some good equipment to start out with which most don't do. I'd toss those damsels before you add more rock while you can still catch them though. If you join reefcentral you can probably find a local forum too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (12-18-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jball1125 View Post
    Reefcentral and nanoreefs are great forums to learn on. I agree, you need more live rock. I would search those forums on the stages of the cycle and what order to add inhabitants. I always did: live rock then a clean up crew, then fish, then corals. That was a while ago though and the hobby progresses some times. It is very important to know the timeline of things because there are steps that will make you think you are going backwards but actually they are supposed to happen.
    I will definitely have to get on ReefCentral then! We will hopefully spend another $100 on rocks before too long. We have just dumped so much money into this tank in the last few weeks our wallets need break for a week or so, lol. I know we are supposed to wait for fish. The blenny was an accident and the guy who owns the saltwater store thinks you should have a fish or two to cycle the tank, so I said, "to heck with it, I'll try it".

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Looks nice, you have some good equipment to start out with which most don't do. I'd toss those damsels before you add more rock while you can still catch them though. If you join reefcentral you can probably find a local forum too.
    Thank you! Lol, I keep hearing bad things about those damsels!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast