Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,016

1 members and 2,015 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Smile Need advice about what to pick

So, I am planing to fill my old aquarium with life again, but I need some help doing so. It is a ~360 liter aquarium, and I have used it before so it doesn't leak any water.

All right, I need help with which kind of fish I should add. It is fresh water all the way, and I want beautiful colourful fish. I have read in a book that some types of fish only eat live, which I wont do. Every fish should eat "normal" fish food.

Basically, I need advice about easy, colourful fish.

Oh, I will also add plants. Thanks (:

Thanks
    Do you want a community type tank (several species)., or a specific type (cichlids, aggressive, semi aggressive). I would suggest a planted community tank. Maybe stick with some of the more rare fish that you don't see everyday (if you have a LFS that will order special requests for you).
    5.3 normals, 3.1 mojave, 2.4 pastels, 1.0 yellow belly, 1.1 cinnamon, 1.1 het pied, 1.0 pastel/yellowbelly
    Also: Burmese, Retic, RTBs, kenyans, dumerils, hognose, corns, milk, king, uromastyx, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, dart frogs, tortoises, tarantulas, cockatiels, reef tanks, dogs, cats, chickens, goat, rats and???

Thanks

Re: Need advice about what to pick

Quote Originally Posted by Tfpets View Post
    Do you want a community type tank (several species)., or a specific type (cichlids, aggressive, semi aggressive). I would suggest a planted community tank. Maybe stick with some of the more rare fish that you don't see everyday (if you have a LFS that will order special requests for you).
    Yes, I was thinking about many different species. I don't know if I could find rare species here in Sweden, and also rare is often more expensive.

One more thing: is there a difference between sand and gravel as a substrate? I could imagen gravel to be more easier to clean and a whole lot more neat looking.

Thanks
    If you want plants/planted tank, there are specific substrates just for that. They have elements that help the plants grow. As for fish (in sweden) you will have to research what you see and have available to see if they will work for what you want. There are so many fish that will work it would be hard to say which direction to point you in! Here are a couple of substrates that work well for planted tanks.
    http://www.marineandreef.com/Hagen_F...p/rhg12690.htm
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4870
    5.3 normals, 3.1 mojave, 2.4 pastels, 1.0 yellow belly, 1.1 cinnamon, 1.1 het pied, 1.0 pastel/yellowbelly
    Also: Burmese, Retic, RTBs, kenyans, dumerils, hognose, corns, milk, king, uromastyx, leopard geckos, bearded dragons, dart frogs, tortoises, tarantulas, cockatiels, reef tanks, dogs, cats, chickens, goat, rats and???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tfpets View Post
    If you want plants/planted tank, there are specific substrates just for that. They have elements that help the plants grow. As for fish (in sweden) you will have to research what you see and have available to see if they will work for what you want. There are so many fish that will work it would be hard to say which direction to point you in! Here are a couple of substrates that work well for planted tanks.
    http://www.marineandreef.com/Hagen_F...p/rhg12690.htm
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4870
    Okay, thank you for the links. And as for the fish, I guess I will have to take a look myself in a animal store. The main idea about this thread was to get advice about which kind of fish species would match what I wrote in the first post. Oh well...

Thanks
    Our planted tank has mollys, peacock gudgeons, an angelfish (rescued), algae eaters, pea puffer, bushy nose pleco, cardinals, various tetras etc. Not the most recommended mix of fish but you never know what you might come home with!
    Just definitely stay away from cichlids unless you are only going to put other cichlids in there!
    Last edited by Tfpets; 02-25-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks

I'm a big fan of cichlids, either African or south american, but if you choose to get them, go with one or the other, don't mix them. The thing about cichlids though is that they do not go well with live plant, lol.

Thanks

I had a 55gal. with plecos and angelfish. And some cardinals and mollys and I loved that tank but when I bought a house I had no room for it. I never had an issue with the angelfish they where great. So they are a first choice for me if I set up another tank for sure.

Thanks
    Could I house black mollys, swordtails, angelfish, platys, tetras and gourami together?

Thanks
    Shouldn't be a big issue but larger Gouramis can be bullys. I also have a 55 gallon cichlid tank. A friend got a tank from someone for a snake and was going to put the cichlids in his pond. The pond still had ice on it! I promptly setup another tank for them at my house and rescued them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast