Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,026

1 members and 3,025 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    I got my BP from PetSmart as well, he wouldnt eat the F/T pinkies they gave me, it took me almost 3 weeks to get him to eat. I had to give him a live hopper to get him started now he eats fine.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    I can't believe they still tell people to feed pinky mice! And only once a week!!! Here.. Look at this pic.. This is extraordinary because his clutch mates are all about 70-90 grams smaller than he is but that's still a good size for 2 month old hatchlings..

This is a 2 month old (hatched May 6th) who is taking rat pups like they're going out of style! 220 grams!

He eats every 4-5 days and his very first meal was a rat fuzzy.. He was an average sized hatchling. I bet even a rat pink would have been too small for him..

What's wrong with these corporate idiots??

Thanks
    I too "rescued" my BP from Petsmart and was told to feed it fuzzies by them. I even had to get the snake out since the sales associate was scared to do it.
    when I went to get some more fuzzies from the pet supplies plus near me, they were at first confused why I was feeding them to a BP. I can not remember if they told me or I found it on here but I soon learned to get a bigger rodent to feed the snake with.
    Racer 0.0.1 Normal BP
    Pyro 1.0 Flame Brooks Kingsnake
    Evelyn 0.1 Bredli (Centralian) Carpet Python
    0.1 chocolate Lab Frayja
    1.1 Cats
    0.1 Better Half
    1.2 Kids

Thanks

Re: how to estimate the age ofmy ball python

to get it to feed, first of all you need to make sure he is hungry obviously... when my ball python (Django- about 4 months old) is hungry he will poke his head of of his hides and search the cage and be more active.... generally feed them in the evenings because this is when the hunt, get a feeding schedule like the same day every week. Get a pair of thongs hold the frozen/thawed mouse about 6 inches away from its head and wiggle it a little bit and if he is truly hungry he will strike it, and when he does wiggle it a little bit, it simulates it fighting.
    snakes can go awhile without eating but this does not mean that's healthy, if he has not eaten within like 4-5 weeks or so you might have problems with your setup such as humidity or heat. this will cause them not to eat. also if he is about to go into shed or is in shed they will generally not eat with a few exceptions.

Thanks

World's only competent Petsmart Employee

I went to a local reptile rescue to look for a pet snake. I ended up being helped by the Owner/Founder. He did not have any adoptable BP's when I was there, but he had a solution. He told me he worked at Petsmart and they had a Ball Python there that they let the kids hold. I got to Petsmart and was pleasantly surprised that all the snakes were well taken care of and well fed. He was very helpful and understood snakes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sm_Banks For This Useful Post:

Skyfire (06-09-2016)

Thanks

Re: World's only competent Petsmart Employee

Quote Originally Posted by Sm_Banks View Post
    I went to a local reptile rescue to look for a pet snake. I ended up being helped by the Owner/Founder. He did not have any adoptable BP's when I was there, but he had a solution. He told me he worked at Petsmart and they had a Ball Python there that they let the kids hold. I got to Petsmart and was pleasantly surprised that all the snakes were well taken care of and well fed. He was very helpful and understood snakes.
    I actually work at PetSmart. Ever since I started wanting a Ball Python I was doing research on them (just bought mine last thursday). I've taught everyone I work with in Petcare how important humidity and everything else is. Unfortunately our current BP hasn't eaten yet in our care (few weeks) but luckily I get to try on Saturday (I've yet to get the chance to feed the snakes at work) and I'm hoping it will eat.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sm_Banks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    I actually work at PetSmart. Ever since I started wanting a Ball Python I was doing research on them (just bought mine last thursday). I've taught everyone I work with in Petcare how important humidity and everything else is. Unfortunately our current BP hasn't eaten yet in our care (few weeks) but luckily I get to try on Saturday (I've yet to get the chance to feed the snakes at work) and I'm hoping it will eat.
    4 years old thread
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    4 years old thread
    The problem is?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skittles1101 View Post
    Can you describe your set up in full detail please, not eating is a common response to stress. Could be from the move, or could be from improper husbandry (most likely anything the store employee told you, is wrong).
    This. We need details!
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123