Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

1 members and 2,876 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divided tubs?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Divided tubs?

I'm currently saving up for a new rack that will be more like a freedom breeder/ars rack, I'm going to pay my dad to custom fabricate it for me, so I currently have a few divided tubs. These are 41qt tubs that are spit down the center and each half is definitely big enough for them (they are 300-1000g each). One tub wasn't divided perfectly or the two snakes are just super determined, I'm not sure.

Anyways, this tub has my female spider and my female spotnose in it. They've learned how to get to the other side. The first time they did it, they just switched sides. It was super confusing at first, I thought I was going nuts. They've continued to keep switching sides, but lately they just keep staying on the same side.

I am concerned for a two reasons.
    1.) It's a pretty tight space they keep squeezing themselves through and I'm afraid they are going to hurt themselves.
    2.) They are essentially housed together which is something that is not recommended, I've give plenty of people advice to separate them when they are housed together.

They both still eat just fine, I just separate them before offering food and it's pretty easy to tell who shed.

My tubs are divided with foam board wrapped in glad press and seal that is hot glued into place. I've been hesitant to buy another tub and divided because my current rack isn't perfectly level so I'm afraid they will still find a way across and then I will have ruined another tub for nothing. This is just a temporary solution until I can save enough for my new rack, they are the only ones who jump the fence. I have 4 other divided tubs and none of them have made it across the divider yet.

I guess my question is, what would you do if you were in my position? It's not that I can't afford another $9 tub, it's just that it's not exactly easy work dividing it and who's to say they won't still get over the divider.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Are they going over the divider or on the sides?

I've made home made temporary dividers using Styrofoam poster board. I had a similar problem for a while at first too. I just ended up ghetto-rigging it with folded paper towels and wedging them into the 'gaps'. (I'm sure this can be used with other materials)
    It's not the best looking rig ever, but it works.

Thanks

Re: Divided tubs?

I haven't divided tubs for snakes, but here's what I do for other dividers.

First, I buy a container of "Great Stuff", you know that expanding foam from the hardware store.

Then I use mold release (Or cooking spray if you don't work with plastics) and spray down the inside of a new, empty tub.

Next, fill the thing about 3/5 of the way with foam. Don't worry, it will expand.

When it's done growing (About the next day), use a modeler's saw (or hacksaw, coping saw, any very fine toothed saw) to cut off the top part where the foam has escaped the tub.

Next, turn the tub upside down and smack it until the foam drops out.

Cut the foam into pieces about 1/2 inch thick so that you make multiple dividers. These dividers will fit your tub exactly.

Lastly, wrap them in shrink wrap or similar so the snakes aren't exposed to the foam.

You may not want to house snakes in the tub you used for the mold, but you now have an endless supply of dividers!

Hope this helps, sure works for dividing parts in my plastics lab.

Apple2
    Last edited by apple2; 02-22-2012 at 02:02 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apple2 For This Useful Post:

Slim (02-23-2012),SpencerShanks (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    I know it is recommended that they be housed individually but I do know a guy that keeps 6 good sized females in a 55 gallon tank with no problems. He does move them to feed. If it is a temporary situation I would let them stay together. They are both females anyway so you don't have to worry about them breeding young.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joebad976 View Post
    I know it is recommended that they be housed individually but I do know a guy that keeps 6 good sized females in a 55 gallon tank with no problems. He does move them to feed. If it is a temporary situation I would let them stay together. They are both females anyway so you don't have to worry about them breeding young.
    6 snakes in a 55gallon tank is animal cruelty. If there arent any problems then that shows his complete lack of knowledge for bps. I assure there are problems and there will be more for him in the future...
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joebad976 View Post
    It's not recommend for a reason. And for the health and well being of the animals, there is never a reason to house multiple snakes together unless it is for breeding.

For one, its stressful for them. They're all going to be constantly trying to dominate each other for the best spot in the tank. (Easily mistaken for cuddling)

What if one snake regurgitated a meal? You wouldn't know which snake did it. A snake needs a minimum of 2 weeks to rest before feeding again. Reguritation is stressful on a snake's body. Without knowing the individual snake, you could be feeding it too soon and do more damage.

Housing snakes individually prevents mite and illness outbreaks. In a group setting, if one snake gets ill or mites, they're all going to get sick/mites. It's not good for the animals or the keeper.

Also, while rare, there are cases of cannibalism when housing multiple snakes. And rarely does the cannibal survive the meal as well.

So all in all, never house 2+ snakes together. As they are in captivity, it is our responsibility to provide the best environment for the snakes. Why take any risks?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by satomi325; 03-10-2012 at 12:19 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

TJsBalls (03-10-2012)

Thanks

Re: Divided tubs?

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    It's not recommend for a reason. And for the health and well being of the animals, there is never a reason to house multiple snakes together unless it is for breeding.

For one, its stressful for them. They're all going to be constantly trying to dominate each other for the best spot in the tank. (Easily mistaken for cuddling)I am sure it is but as the OP mentioned they are eating so I take it they are not stressed out at this time. I wonder how many BP's we would find living together if we went on an African Safari? I bet they are all stressed out?

What if one snake regurgitated a meal? You wouldn't know which snake did it. A snake needs a minimum of 2 weeks to rest before feeding again. Reguritation is stressful on a snake's body. Without knowing the individual snake, you could be feeding it too soon and do more damage. 2 weeks??? Hmmm....I wonder how they determine this in the wild? If I have an upset stomach and someone tries to feed me I bet you I am not going to eat.

Housing snakes individually prevents mite and illness outbreaks. In a group setting, if one snake gets ill or mites, they're all going to get sick/mites. It's not good for the animals or the keeper. Sure I would agree with you on the illness as long as it isn't something airborne but as far as mites go if they are housed separately or together it is just a matter of time before all are infested..

Also, while rare, there are cases of cannibalism when housing multiple snakes. And rarely does the cannibal survive the meal as well. Really?? Do you have any pics of a ball python eating another ball python?

So all in all, never house 2+ snakes together. As they are in captivity, it is our responsibility to provide the best environment for the snakes. Why take any risks?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Kinra, I was not trying to give you bad advice and I am sure others on this forum have run into similar problems trying to divide tubs, snakes escaping, etc. Disregard my housing together on a temporary basis and build a rack asap.

Peace

Thanks
    I havent ever had any issues with housing BP's together for a SHORT time. I had 4 in a 100 gal for an evening while i let the glue set on a rack i had built and i had all females, the smallest being 500 grams and the largest abt 3500 grams. I didnt have much of a choice and i wouldnt recomend it. they all lived thru it tho. Ball pythons have existed with other ball pythons for many many years. having 2 in a tub isnt a big deal.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill T For This Useful Post:

joebad976 (03-11-2012)

Thanks
    My sister has a BP that is 17 years old, CB from VPI. This snake has NEVER been a good eater. Would only eat Giant White only mice, maybe one a month if she was lucky. She had to take her brothers BP, another female, due to an emergency and had no choice but to put them together. This is in a 55 gallon tank with three hides, two warm ends and cool in the middle. Brothers BP was a long term only pet of five years. Brothers snake would eat anything put in front of her. When feeding day came along she, laughingly, offered her old gal the black hooded rat, full well knowing she would not eat it. She had been offered a rat a month prior because they were out of mice. She had been offered rats off and on for the past 17 years, as well. That old gal snatched that rat from her and scarfed it down. She had to thaw another one for the big girl. They have now lived together for about 7 months, both eating like champs every rat offered one in a box and one in the enclosure. They take turns in the same hide, in separate hides, and all things in between. I wonder if this was a competition thing or what. Her old girl went from 750 grams to 1100 grams during that time. So, in this case, for whatever reason, this was good for her snake and doesnt seem to bother the other one, either. These are two pets in a home setting. Should she seperate them now, in everyones opinion? If she does, and the one goes back to not eating well, then what?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fila For This Useful Post:

joebad976 (03-11-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    You can always Buy PVC sheets and cut them to fit similar to below

As Long as the Gap is no bigger than .25 you wont have to worry about them getting stuck.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

Fila (03-11-2012),joebad976 (03-11-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast