Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,059

2 members and 3,057 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    I'm not a vet, but my advice would be to get some terramycin ointment and start treating with a cotton swab 2 or 3 times a day - it will help with an infection immediately and draining the eyes, then go to a vet first chance. Get the humidity up in the tank to a proper level as well.

If you do soak her again, don't add the log, jut make sure the water isn't too high for her to lift herself out, and if she defecates in the water it needs to be changed immediately - she probably got an infection from it.
    ~Chris
    Biology Departments - Marist College & Mount Saint Mary College
    carillephoto.com - Wildlife, Landscape, Wedding, & (of course) Snake Photography for sale
    edenexotics.weebly.com - my snake breeding business. Lots of different species, from Ball Pythons through to Bimini Island Boas

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bioteacher For This Useful Post:

aimin4strz (02-19-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Help... BP has her right eye is bulging

Hi,

(answering here in case it helps anyone in the future )

The lacrimal duct thing was why I asked about the roof of her mouth as that is where it drains to.

Soaking should only really be done supervised and 30 minutes is plenty of time for most things.

Here are the best vet results I could find for you.

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/idaho.shtml

And in case that is out of date here is the arav page for the first member;

Deborah L Wiggins, DVM
    2504 N. Fry Street
    Boise, ID 83704
    United States

Methods of Contact

Email: dlwiggins@cableone.net

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

aimin4strz (02-19-2012),bioteacher (02-19-2012),heathers*bps (02-19-2012),mattchibi (02-21-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aimin4strz View Post
    Here are the answers to questions posted:

We did not add anything to the water, just half a log for her to rest on. During the night she did crap in the water.

She is not soaking anymore and has not been for awhile.

We are cleaning out everything in her tank except for her water dish and paper towels for bedding.

As of for good repitile vet... We live in boise, Idaho and have been able to find anyone that will be open before tuesday.

From what I have found, it sounds like she might have a clogged nasolacrimal duct (s). Does anyone know how I would check for this?
    You said she deficated in the water during the night. Did you leave her soaking overnight?

Thanks
    How would I open her mouth the check for clogged ducts without placing to much pressure on her head and causing more problems.

Thanks
    Yes, we did leaving her soaking overnight, about 5 hours. She previously has not shed her eye caps during her last couple of sheds. We had someone at a reptile expo remove these last weekend. He then said the next time she started to shed, we should soak her overnight. We did and she did completely shed and then we have this problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I would restrain her gently behind the jaw hinge and use something soft like the stem of a cotton bud ( take the cotton off first ) to open her mouth from the front.

But if it seems to be too stressfull or you can see pressure being applied to the eyes I'd honestly leave it for the vet.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

aimin4strz (02-19-2012),shelliebear (02-20-2012)

Thanks
    Use a probe, pen, snake hook to gently insert into her bottom jaw and apply small pressure there to get her to open her mouth. I too am wondering if you left her overnight in the water.
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

Thanks

Yes, we did leaving her soaking overnight, about 5 hours. She previously has not shed her eye caps during her last couple of sheds. We had someone at a reptile expo remove these last weekend. He then said the next time she started to shed, we should soak her overnight. We did and she did completely shed and then we have this problem.
    Soaking should never been longer than 30 mins tops. Eye caps are not that big of an issue, as you can see where messing with then to get them off can lead to. Soaking a snake when it is due to shed is actually more harmful than helpful. The water strips the snake of the essential oils needed to remove the skin. Your humidity is what needs to be fixed here for future sheds.
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

12. The Following User Says Thank You to heathers*bps For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (02-20-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Huh, sounds like bad advice to me. You can easily get off eye caps most of the time by just soaking the snake for 10-15 minutes and then gently wipe the stuck caps with a damp towel. I never try to remove stuck eyecaps invasively unless its a last resort.
    Last edited by Domepiece; 02-19-2012 at 04:54 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Domepiece For This Useful Post:

aimin4strz (02-19-2012),shelliebear (02-20-2012)

Thanks

Yes, I now agree that was bad advice and hind sight being 20/20, I wish I had not done it!!!

We havent soaked her overnight before. We usually soak her 10 to 20 minutes but did it this time to ensure she lost her eye caps this time.

Now her right eye is bleeding a little and the soonest we can get her in is tomarrow morning.

The guy who owns Texas Reptile Exchange was the one who suggested we soak her overnight.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast