Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,994

0 members and 2,994 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Bug eyes ASF

Thanks

Bug eyes ASF

I have 7 ASFs. One I have been watching a while has bugged out eyes. She seems fine otherwise, but her eyes are either bigger or bulging and they appear to be about twice the size of all the others. I kinda like the larger eyes, but am not sure whether to cull her or see if this is inheritable. She may be culled anyway as she is the first to nail me. This might mean she is more defensive because she does have an eye issue. Anyone else with the same observation? As a side note, I have an all dove grey on that i love and hope to get more solids soon. This one was younger and almost tame. She will get in my hand and take treats from me

Thanks
    Photos would definitely be helpful.

I have a new mutation here that causes larger eyes, and shortened muzzles, as well as some twisted faces. It's possible our mutations could be similar.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I've seen a lot of buggy eyed asfs at my local reptile store. I didn't realize it wasn't normal.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by satomi325; 02-18-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks
    Well they all have buggy eyes, but the ones I'm talking about actually have a head deformity which makes them look even bigger.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Can you post a picture?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by satomi325; 02-18-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks
    Here you are.

The most extreme case i have

The same one next to a slightly less extreme one

And their brother who has a twisted face

People seem to think the shorter faces are MUCH cuter. So I'm breeding towards them.

Thanks

Re: Bug eyes ASF

I love the color of the golden agouti one first picture I will see about pictures when I move them next time. I do not relish being bit and already got a warning tag. I have a solid lavender colored little girl that I want more of. I am going tomorrow to hand pick me a few more hopefully. All my others are various agouti colors and white. I would think the larger eyes would make them prone to more eye issues, like Bostons and Shih Tzus can be. The buggier the eye the more likely they are to injure them in dogs anyway.

Thanks
    Lavender? You'll have to show that one, I'm not certain what colour you're speaking of!

Have you checked the genetics page on my site? Is 'lavender' on there anywhere?
    The first girl is a ruby eyed cinnamon. My cinnamons have definitely got some beautiful colours, thank you.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have a few "bug eyed" ASFs, similar to Rhasputins animals. I do not have any crookec faces in my colony though and morally wouldnt breed for it if it ever did pop up. The "bug eyes" are sort of cute though. I have not seen any evidence that it changes their vision, which is good.
    Specializing in superior quality Ball Pythons

Thanks

Re: Bug eyes ASF

I have yet to see the color of my one that I adore. She is blue for lack of a better description. I called her lavender because she is that soft color. I am going back to the breeder because he gave me all girls instead of 1.5 I told him I want a male the same blue color and he said I can have my pick. I may get another set of them while I am at it. I enjoy watching them, even if they bite through my fingernail. i know introducing the male will be risky at this point, but am going to be armed with a totally clean tank, with lots of goodies, vanilla sprinkled on EVERYONE, lavender spritzed on the sides of the tank, lots of news hides and toys, some raw bones, and two new wheels. They will reside in a 30 long, with plenty of hay, cotton and pine and alfalfa pelleted bedding. I will try to take some good pictures after they all settle.
    *Fila*

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Lavender? You'll have to show that one, I'm not certain what colour you're speaking of!

Have you checked the genetics page on my site? Is 'lavender' on there anywhere?
    The first girl is a ruby eyed cinnamon. My cinnamons have definitely got some beautiful colours, thank you.