Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,837

2 members and 2,835 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    A T8 should be large enough... certainly enough floor space. A cage with a little more height might be nice (like the T10 T11, or T12) but isn't necessary.

Here is their site. (you want the T-series Terrestrial)

http://www.animalplastics.com/
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 07-07-2012 at 05:30 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Re: How to set up a PVC cage (AP T8) With Pictures!

Hey Aaron, Great thread! Thank you for posting this info, super helpful.

I have been trying to figure out which route to go on a setup for my first BP. I have been going thru the newbie debate on cages/tanks/racks w/tubs. After reading through this thread and looking at the way you have this AP T8 setup, I think I will go the same route. I do have a few additional questions though:

I live in Colorado so I think I will probably need to add the RHP to maintain ambient temps and I want to add the light(s) and the divider.

I do have a few additional questions though:

1. How / where did you mount the lights and route the cords?
    2. I am assuming that the RHP should be mounted in the center of the divided half?
    3. How long will it take for the temps to regulate once I get everything installed before I put BP in cage?

So here is my plan:

AP T8 with the following:
    Glass doors w/lock
    Flexwatt Belly Heat
    Divider
    Light Fixture -
    RBI RHP -
    Herpstat 1 or 2
    Accurite Thermometer
    2 hides
    water bowl
    substrate ?

Thanks again for the great post. I plan on ordering tomorrow and once I have it setup with new BP, I will post some pics.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to T_Leonard For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (01-25-2013)

Thanks
    Hey a note on the basking shelf...I asked Ali at AP directly about this when ordering my 2 T8s.....The basking shelf WILL NOT WORK with a divider as, according to her during our phone convo...they mount it directly to the back/middle area of the back wall and its large enough that she says it spans most of the back...Unless they could custom make 2 smaller sized basking shelves...one on each side of the divider (that last thought I never directly asked her about b/c at the time it hadnt occurred to me).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OsirisRa32 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T_Leonard View Post

I have been trying to figure out which route to go on a setup for my first BP. I have been going thru the newbie debate on cages/tanks/racks w/tubs. After reading through this thread and looking at the way you have this AP T8 setup, I think I will go the same route. I do have a few additional questions though:

I live in Colorado so I think I will probably need to add the RHP to maintain ambient temps and I want to add the light(s) and the divider.

2. I am assuming that the RHP should be mounted in the center of the divided half?
    3. How long will it take for the temps to regulate once I get everything installed before I put BP in cage?

So here is my plan:

Glass doors w/lock
    Flexwatt Belly Heat
    Divider
    Light Fixture -
    RBI RHP -
    Herpstat 1 or 2
    Accurite Thermometer
    2 hides
    water bowl
    substrate ?

Thanks again for the great post. I plan on ordering tomorrow and once I have it setup with new BP, I will post some pics.
    1. If you order them as optionals from AP they will drill mounting screws in for you based on your location requests in where you want them..they drilled small holes for the cords and plug ends for me as well.
    2. I personally would mount it center...if it is meant to raise overall temps throughout that makes logical sense.
    3. No clue...I would suggest a day at least...maybe 1-3 days for you tinkering and adjusting things...I guess it depends on how anal/much of a perfectionist people are.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OsirisRa32 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the help, I do plan to order from AP, so I will talk to them about mounting locations for holes and slots for cords. I am pretty anal about things like this and want it done right the first time.

I do plan to add a second BP so I will talk to them about the mounting holes for both sides.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to T_Leonard For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So here is my plan:

Glass doors w/lock
    Flexwatt Belly Heat
    Divider
    Light Fixture -
    RBI RHP -
    Herpstat 1 or 2
    Accurite Thermometer
    2 hides
    water bowl
    substrate ?

Pow! I believe this is exactly what I want to do, though I'll go with a Pro Products RHP and Herpstat 2 or 4. I have been debating splitting or not splitting...Think I finally settled on splitting. Now I'm hung on one RHP or two. Two might be nice if I have a different snake type on each side, which may be the plan. Let me know how the ordering goes. I just have to flip a coin and do it. Today I set up the 24 x 48 wire shelving rack it will sit on, so I'm ready to go.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to danojeno For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the help, I do plan to order from AP, so I will talk to them about mounting locations for holes and slots for cords. I am pretty anal about things like this and want it done right the first time.

I do plan to add a second BP so I will talk to them about the mounting holes for both sides.
    If you order a T8 with 2 lights this is where they will place them (though I'm sure that they can mount them elsewhere if requested)

(This is the ceiling of the cage)

Each light has its own cutout/slots for the cord. They are placed in the ideal locations on the top of the cage and are easily covered. The one thing that I will note is that the top of the cage directly over the lights will heat up some. Nothing to be worried about, but worth mentioning.

(Note: The difference in light color is due to an experiment that I am running on what type of lights are best for BP's The more yellow light on the left cage is the stock bulb from AP. The whiter/blue bulb on the right is a Zoo-Med Nature Sun 2.0 UV A/B bulb)

Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 01-25-2013 at 01:52 AM.
    ~Aaron

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

benzite (09-06-2015),danojeno (01-25-2013)

Thanks

I have been debating further about a few of the options for this setup:

1. The T10 instead of the T8 for the extra height 15" vs 12", just for more clearance to have access to the BP.
    2. The Swing doors instead of the sliders although it adds a little more to the price, I like the looks better. Not sure if they are better functionally or not?

I did look at the Pro Products RHP and definitely think its worth giving them a call to discuss before deciding on that. I plan to use 2 RHP's, one for each side. Sounds like the Pro RHP may allow a smaller unit if they are that much more efficient?

I have been looking at thermostats and like the Herpstat 2 for this setup. Also looking at the VE200 / VE300 models.

Thanks

Aaron,
    I like the way those lights are setup, thank you for the pic. I will be curious to hear about your findings with the light bulbs. I do like the nature sun bulb better than the stock bulb.

What are your thoughts on the T8 vs T10 and the extra height?

Thanks

Aaron,
    I like the way those lights are setup, thank you for the pic. I will be curious to hear about your findings with the light bulbs. I do like the nature sun bulb better than the stock bulb.

What are your thoughts on the T8 vs T10 and the extra height?
    T8 vs T10 makes very little difference. Personally I don't think it is worth the extra cost and certainly not the 6-8 weeks longer to get.

The Swing doors will make it harder to get into, and the windows are made from plexiglass. They will scratch easier, warp over time, and yellow over time. I would stick with the glass sliding doors but that's just me.

The herpstat 2 is a much better thermostat than the VE200 or 300. Herpstats are safer, have more features/capabilities, and overall are a better value for your $$.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 01-25-2013 at 03:24 AM.
    ~Aaron

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast