Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,849

1 members and 2,848 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: How to set up a PVC cage (AP T8) With Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by bproffer View Post
    My son is wanting to get a BP, so I have been doing some research. I still haven't decided between a rack or something like this type of enclosure. My question is if I go with something like a t8, would that be too big for a juvenile or well started BP if I have a divider? He isn't interested in breeding or having multiple snakes, so I think a rack might be overkill. Thoughts?
    Every snake is different...If the snake is eating and not stressed out in a bigger enclosure then it wont be a problem..If you are getting food refusals and it seams stressed out you can alway put a small tub inside the t8 to make a temporary smaller enclosure until the snake is larger. A lot of fake plants and clutter will make a bigger cage more secure.

Sent from my A521L using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to frostysBP For This Useful Post:

bproffer (10-07-2015)

Thanks

My son is wanting to get a BP, so I have been doing some research. I still haven't decided between a rack or something like this type of enclosure. My question is if I go with something like a t8, would that be too big for a juvenile or well started BP if I have a divider? He isn't interested in breeding or having multiple snakes, so I think a rack might be overkill. Thoughts?
    If you decide to get a T8 for a juvenile BP, half of the terrarium is going to be plenty. Half of a T8 is about 30 gallons. Once the BP reaches adulthood, you can give have him/her use the full terrarium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

bproffer (10-07-2015)

Thanks

Alright, so I just re-read this whole thread and I think I have a pretty good grasp on what I will need to get this set up properly. It looks like my cage set up will consist of the following:

• Animal Plastics T8 with divider, lock and 2 fluorescent lights
    • 2 ft x 11" Flexwatt and connectors.
    • Herpstat 2 (in case I need to run a RHP in the future)
    • Reptile basics hides x 2
    • water dish
    • accurate thermometer

Since we will only be using half the cage for now and don't really have plans to have more than one BP, I think this setup should work. Do you think 11" or 12" heat tape s overkill? Would a 6" heat tape suffice for a hot spot or should I stick with the 11"? The room where this will be is 76-78° in the summer and 66-70° in the winter. If I find that I am having trouble maintaining ambient temps in the winter I can add a small RHP in the future. I may also add a small LED strip for night viewing if my son wants it (It will be in his room). If by chance we ever decide to get a second BP for the other side of the cage, It will be easy to add another strip of heat tape to the other side.

After I have everything set up, We will start our search for the right BP. Hopefully I can find a reputable breeder in Central or Southern CA so I can save on shipping costs.

Thanks for the help!
    -Bryan

Thanks

Alright, so I just re-read this whole thread and I think I have a pretty good grasp on what I will need to get this set up properly. It looks like my cage set up will consist of the following:

• Animal Plastics T8 with divider, lock and 2 fluorescent lights
    • 2 ft x 11" Flexwatt and connectors.
    • Herpstat 2 (in case I need to run a RHP in the future)
    • Reptile basics hides x 2
    • water dish
    • accurate thermometer

Since we will only be using half the cage for now and don't really have plans to have more than one BP, I think this setup should work. Do you think 11" or 12" heat tape s overkill? Would a 6" heat tape suffice for a hot spot or should I stick with the 11"? The room where this will be is 76-78° in the summer and 66-70° in the winter. If I find that I am having trouble maintaining ambient temps in the winter I can add a small RHP in the future. I may also add a small LED strip for night viewing if my son wants it (It will be in his room). If by chance we ever decide to get a second BP for the other side of the cage, It will be easy to add another strip of heat tape to the other side.

After I have everything set up, We will start our search for the right BP. Hopefully I can find a reputable breeder in Central or Southern CA so I can save on shipping costs.

Thanks for the help!
    -Bryan
    I would honestly forget about the lights and flexwatt , get the right sized RHP, and have animal plastics cut a spot for the flexwatt just in case you do need to get it in the future. An RHP should be sufficient enough with the ambient temps you said your room would get to. Flexwatt and the florescent lights wouldn't be enough to keep the ambient temps high enough in a t8. I would also suggest not having two snakes in a split t8. My big guy is only 1800 grams right now and when I see him on one side of the cage, I can see that half of a cage would not be big enough for him.

Also, depending on what size snake you get, you might not need a divider. I put my female in a full t8 with plenty if clutter when she was around 500 grams. She has been absolutely fine in it.

The led strip is definitely worth it. If you can u would just by it now before the cages come because it is way easier to install when you are building the cages.

This pic is from the first night I got the cages and was still setting them up. The led strip I got from Lowes. Really glad I did.
    Last edited by SKO; 10-10-2015 at 03:53 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SKO For This Useful Post:

bproffer (10-11-2015)

Thanks

Came to this thread because I just received a couple of T8's for my son and had questions about stacking directly on the flexwatt UTH vs leaving a gap. After reading through about half of the pages of this thread it looks like plugging them into the Hepstat 2 I also bought should mean I can stack directly onto the tape. Stand is wood. The other would be sandwiched between the 2 T8's. So I next need to make sure the clips extend beyond the back of the cage correct?

Also, I can't tell if any specific side of the heat tape is supposed to contact the cage to be heated. Does it matter?

I love the new option of the recessed LED light strip since one of his T8's will be divided and the divider just fits right over the top of the LED channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    SKO, I appreciate the feedback. Anyone have a thought as to what size RHP I would need for 1/2 the T8? We still haven't decided on what size or type for that matter BP we are getting. Chances are it will be a juvenile as they seem to be more readily available in what we are looking for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    Came to this thread because I just received a couple of T8's for my son and had questions about stacking directly on the flexwatt UTH vs leaving a gap. After reading through about half of the pages of this thread it looks like plugging them into the Hepstat 2 I also bought should mean I can stack directly onto the tape. Stand is wood. The other would be sandwiched between the 2 T8's. So I next need to make sure the clips extend beyond the back of the cage correct?

Also, I can't tell if any specific side of the heat tape is supposed to contact the cage to be heated. Does it matter?

I love the new option of the recessed LED light strip since one of his T8's will be divided and the divider just fits right over the top of the LED channel.

Does the led strip change colors?

Thanks

How to set up a PVC cage (AP T8) With Pictures!

Does the led strip change colors?
    This one (supplied and installed by APC) doesn't. I guess you could stuff whatever LED strip you wanted into the channel though. I'm sure APC would cut the channel for you even if you don't want the light they use.

It's also not switched. They need a timer or switched outlet if you don't want to unplug/plug to turn off/on.

Last edited by yz9890; 10-11-2015 at 10:44 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yz9890 For This Useful Post:

bproffer (10-11-2015)

Thanks

Help deciding on my T8 setup.

Hello! Thanks for the informative thread. I'm getting a second ball python (my first is only a few months old) and I plan to order a T8 with divider to house them both. My question is, do I need both heat tape and RHPs? My room does get pretty cold in the winters (down to 50s or so), though I plan to have an oil heater on a thermostat to heat the general area of my snake enclosures to the mid 60s at least.

It seems like the heat tape alone would not suffice to heat my enclosure. Would running two RHPs be enough without any heat tape? If so, should I center them, or put them both towards the middle or outsides to create a temperature gradiant (the latter seems most appropriate). I eventually plan to get a second T8 and move one of the RHPs to that for heating when the snakes are big enough to need their own enclosures. I would do heat tape and THPs, but I only have a Herpstat 2, which wouldn't have enough channels to control both the tape and two RHPs.

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post

That light option is awesome. Didn't see it on their site though. Did you have to call and order it? What did it cost?

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast