Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,576

1 members and 2,575 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: How to set up a PVC cage (AP T8) With Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Currently I use a single piece of 12" heat tape that is 4 feet long and run it longways accords the back half of the bottom of the cages...If the cage is going to be divided I would go with the 48" piece of 12" heat tape.
    Hey Aaron,

As you know, I've got a very similar T8 setup. I'm now starting to rethink my heating method - a single 11" strip up the middle of the T8 where the divider is. Going with 12" across the back seems like the right direction, but I question if 12" is necessary, as it is 50% of the width. From Rich's Heat Tape FAQ (Reptile Basics), he doesn't recommend going more than 1/3 of the floor surface area which makes me lean towards 6" over 12". Any thoughts?

Regardless of the width, is 48" the right length for our T8s across the back? I only ask because I'm wondering if any extra length needs to be accounted for when considering the wire/clips/insulators that go on one end. Of course I could ask Rich, but I figured I'd ask you since you've got the setup in place already.

Thanks, man!

Best regards,
    Eric
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

benzite (09-06-2015),The Serpent Merchant (01-25-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Back when I wrote this thread I set up my cages the way it is pictures with 2 foot of 12" heat tape. Currently I use a single piece of 12" heat tape that is 4 feet long and run it longways accords the back half of the bottom of the cages. I would post some pictures but I don't have any currently.

As for which is better I'd say that depends on how the cage is setup. If the cage is going to be divided I would go with the 48" piece of 12" heat tape. If the cage is going to be for a single snake I would set it up as pictures in this thread.

I wouldn't use 2 pieces of heat tape side by side on a T8.
    I wish I would've seen this post before I ordered everything and I would've done that instead. I ordered two two foot pieces of 12 inch heat tape from reptile basics. I was thinking of putting them both in the middle running from front to back (not touching small gap in between). Would you recommend putting them on the outsides of the tank instead?
    6.13 Ball pythons
    1.0 Hypo Jungle Boa
    0.1 Irian Jaya Jaguar Carpet

Instagram: MetropolisReptiles

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BumbleB For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (01-25-2014)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Hey Aaron,

As you know, I've got a very similar T8 setup. I'm now starting to rethink my heating method - a single 11" strip up the middle of the T8 where the divider is. Going with 12" across the back seems like the right direction, but I question if 12" is necessary, as it is 50% of the width. From Rich's Heat Tape FAQ (Reptile Basics), he doesn't recommend going more than 1/3 of the floor surface area which makes me lean towards 6" over 12". Any thoughts?

Regardless of the width, is 48" the right length for our T8s across the back? I only ask because I'm wondering if any extra length needs to be accounted for when considering the wire/clips/insulators that go on one end. Of course I could ask Rich, but I figured I'd ask you since you've got the setup in place already.

Thanks, man!

Best regards,
    Eric
    I order 48 inches of 12" heat tape and slightly offset it on the cage so the cords come out one side. You could add a few more inches on, but I really don't see any reason to.

You will hear varying opinions on how much heat tape to use. Generally speaking ⅓ - ½ of the bottom of the cage is recommended. I use 12" without any issues. An 8" tape would be ideal, 6 might work but it is a little thin for my tastes.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
    I wish I would've seen this post before I ordered everything and I would've done that instead. I ordered two two foot pieces of 12 inch heat tape from reptile basics. I was thinking of putting them both in the middle running from front to back (not touching small gap in between). Would you recommend putting them on the outsides of the tank instead?
    You cold run a piece on each side of the bottom of the cage. it will work, but will be harder to maintain. I don't like running multiple strips of heat tape off of a single thermostat so I would use 2 thermostats for a configuration like this.
    ~Aaron

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

BumbleB (01-26-2014)

Thanks

After my T8 working great for spring, summer, and fall, I've discovered that the Flexwatt is not keeping the cage warm enough during the winter. As a result, I have purchased some radiant heat panels from Pro Products. The heat panels arrived yesterday, and I'm hoping to have the opportunity to install them this weekend. Before I do, though, I have one question: Where and how do you recommend I install the Herpstat probe?

Right now, I have the T8 set up with a divided in the middle. A 12" strip of Flexwatt runs in the center of the T8, with the Herpstat probe sandwiched between the Flexwatt and the T8. Based on my conversation with Bob at Pro Products, I plan on discontinuing use of the Flexwatt and run only the two RHPs (I'll mount one panel on each side of the divider). I'm going to try to operate both RHPs off the same outlet on the Herpstat. I realize this isn't ideal, but Bob indicated that I should be fine doing this. However, we didn't talk about where exactly in the cage I would mount the Herpstat probe or how I would mount it.

Where do you recommend I mount the Herpstat probe? I'm guessing I should mount it right next to the divider, but I'm not sure where I should mount it in terms of the front-to-back of the cage and whether I should mount it on the floor of the cage, the ceiling of the cage, or in the middle (heightwise) of the divider. Also, how do you fasten/mount the probe? I've had problems with rats eating through the Accurite probe cord and don't want them to eat through the Herpstat probe. I've purchased a very small diameter (1/4" or so) PVC pipe and was going to run the Accurite probe and cord in the pipe. What about doing the same with the Herpstat probe?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/advice.
    ~Jay
    ---------------
    Two normal male BPs, one super pastel female BP, and a hypo citrus trans bearded dragon. All BPs in a 5 tub Reptile Basics CB-70 rack. Beardie in a 20 gallon long tank.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPGuy For This Useful Post:

benzite (09-06-2015),The Serpent Merchant (01-25-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGuy View Post
    After my T8 working great for spring, summer, and fall, I've discovered that the Flexwatt is not keeping the cage warm enough during the winter. As a result, I have purchased some radiant heat panels from Pro Products. The heat panels arrived yesterday, and I'm hoping to have the opportunity to install them this weekend. Before I do, though, I have one question: Where and how do you recommend I install the Herpstat probe?

Right now, I have the T8 set up with a divided in the middle. A 12" strip of Flexwatt runs in the center of the T8, with the Herpstat probe sandwiched between the Flexwatt and the T8. Based on my conversation with Bob at Pro Products, I plan on discontinuing use of the Flexwatt and run only the two RHPs (I'll mount one panel on each side of the divider). I'm going to try to operate both RHPs off the same outlet on the Herpstat. I realize this isn't ideal, but Bob indicated that I should be fine doing this. However, we didn't talk about where exactly in the cage I would mount the Herpstat probe or how I would mount it.

Where do you recommend I mount the Herpstat probe? I'm guessing I should mount it right next to the divider, but I'm not sure where I should mount it in terms of the front-to-back of the cage and whether I should mount it on the floor of the cage, the ceiling of the cage, or in the middle (heightwise) of the divider. Also, how do you fasten/mount the probe? I've had problems with rats eating through the Accurite probe cord and don't want them to eat through the Herpstat probe. I've purchased a very small diameter (1/4" or so) PVC pipe and was going to run the Accurite probe and cord in the pipe. What about doing the same with the Herpstat probe?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/advice.
    First off when would a rat have a chance to chew through a cord inside your snakes cage? A live rodent shouldn't ever be left in a cage long enough for that to happen. Live rodents shouldn't be left unattended with a snake for any reason. I've seen too many snakes be killed by unattended rats already.

As for probe placement you have a few options. I personally don't recommend using a single thermostat for more than one heat source, but it can be done. You are going to have to carefully monitor your temps as there won't be anything to prevent disaster on the RHP that isn't being directly monitored by a thermostat.

You want your probe to be placed to that it is centered on the lens of the RHP:

1. You can use hot glue to attach it directly to the lens
    2. You can suspend the probe so that it is hanging under the lens
    3. You can use hot glue to attach the probe to the bottom of the cage directly under the lens.
    ~Aaron

Thanks

Hey guys (new to the forums!)
    I am in the same boat as many of you out there and I just want to be 100% correct in the way I am doing things based on what I have read on this forum.

I recently just purchased two T8's with, 1 Flexwatt and a fluorescent light for each. Do you think that is adequate for maintaining ambient temperature and belly heat? I keep the room around 71-73 throughout the entire year.

Also, I am unsure how I need to go about getting/using a Herpstat and which one I will need. Is it possible to only use 1 Herpstat for both cages? I got the impression that Herpstats can control the lighting as well? Am I able to set the lights to come on and off at a certain time each day using the Herpstat?

Last one . What exactly will I need? By that I mean which Herpstat, how many temperature gauges, ect. I understands 1 probe goes between the Flexwatt and the tank. Any suggestions on which temperature gauge I should get to record the ambient and belly temp in the tanks?

Thanks in advance!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Commandokev For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (01-25-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Commandokev View Post
    Hey guys (new to the forums!)
    I am in the same boat as many of you out there and I just want to be 100% correct in the way I am doing things based on what I have read on this forum.

I recently just purchased two T8's with, 1 Flexwatt and a fluorescent light for each. Do you think that is adequate for maintaining ambient temperature and belly heat? I keep the room around 71-73 throughout the entire year.

Also, I am unsure how I need to go about getting/using a Herpstat and which one I will need. Is it possible to only use 1 Herpstat for both cages? I got the impression that Herpstats can control the lighting as well? Am I able to set the lights to come on and off at a certain time each day using the Herpstat?

Last one . What exactly will I need? By that I mean which Herpstat, how many temperature gauges, ect. I understands 1 probe goes between the Flexwatt and the tank. Any suggestions on which temperature gauge I should get to record the ambient and belly temp in the tanks?

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to the site!

If your room stays that warm year round you shouldn't have any issues using flexwatt and the fluorescent fixture with a T8.

It is possible to control both cages flexwatt from a single herpstat, but I wouldn't recommend doing so. What I would recommend is getting a herpstat that has multiple channels like the herpstat 2 or the herpstat 4 so each cage can have it's own channel. The herpstat 2 is basically 2 herpstat 1's crammed into a single box.

You can control lights with herpstats, but that uses up one of the channels. So that means on the herpstat 1 you have to choose between controlling flexwatt and controlling lights. With a herpstat 2 you could control 2 strips of heat tape separately, or 1 strip of heat tape and some lights. On a herpstat 4 you have 4 channels so you can control 4 devices whatever they be.

Here is the herpstat website: http://spyderrobotics.com/home/products.html

For you I would recommend a herpstat 2 and use something else to control the lights. You can get a cheap timer unit at walmart/target/etc that will give you the same amount of control over the lights for a lot less money.

As for thermometers I like these suits. you will need 1 per cage:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acu-Rite-I...ndingMethod=rr

They measure 2 temperatures and humidity. You will place your probe on the floor of the cage directly over the flexwatt. The unit itself contains the other thermometer and the hygrometer. Place the unit on the cool side of the cage to get your ambient temp and humidity reading.
    ~Aaron

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

Commandokev (01-25-2014)

Thanks

Ok perfect, thanks so much for getting back with me. I figured I would need at least a Herpstat 2 for the setup I want. Each probe for the Herpstat goes directly in between the Flexwatt and the tank in the premade slot correct?
    Picking up cheap timers sounds perfect.
    Thanks again
    Last edited by Commandokev; 01-25-2014 at 11:03 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Commandokev For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (01-26-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Commandokev View Post
    Ok perfect, thanks so much for getting back with me. I figured I would need at least a Herpstat 2 for the setup I want. Each probe for the Herpstat goes directly in between the Flexwatt and the tank in the premade slot correct?
    Picking up cheap timers sounds perfect.
    Thanks again
    Yes, the herpstat's probes go in the slots on the bottom of the cage.
    ~Aaron

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast