Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,096

0 members and 3,096 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Re: How to set up a PVC cage (AP T8) With Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus_Love View Post
    I know it's been a few months since this thread has been hit upon, but it's so informative that I hope no one minds Also, I'm back into the hobby from a four year hiatus. Go me!

Anywho, I have a couple questions for those who have dealt with AP. I bought my new babies day before yesterday, and they are just hanging out in 6qt tubs at the moment. I decided that this time around I would like to have my collection (at least, part of it) outside of a rack. I was thinking earlier today that I'd love to find something like the T8 that I can divide, and while I know they have a divider, I was wondering if I would be able to divide it into 3 or 4 separate areas? Looking at the design of the cage, I'm not even sure if it would be feasible to have dividers at the center of the glass, since I know they are precision cut to fit tightly. A 24x24 space for a hatchling is beyond too large. 12x24 or 16x24 sounds better. However, I don't want to purchase a smaller cage that I will outgrow (and obviously they are less cost efficient).

Also, if I am able to divide it into multiple sections, do you think they would further accommodate me by running heat tape along the entire rear end of the cage? I did see in a previous post that it is advised to purchase the flexwatt from Reptile Basics to save on money, so I suppose asking Ali about running the tape lengthwise would be a moot inquiry.. While on the topic of heat sources, would the fluorescent lights fit in the partitioned spaces I noted earlier? Have these lights been found cheaper elsewhere? With my plan requiring three or four of them, they're a big hit on the pocket at $20 each. But I also don't frequent home improvement shops, so I have no idea what those cost.

Hopefully this didn't turn into too much of a nonsensical ramble! I need to be in bed 5 hours ago But I've been gone so long, it's hard to pull myself away from the forums again!

The only way you can use multiple dividers in a T8 would be to have AP cut the front of the cage so it has multiple vertical strips. Dividing a T8 into 3 wouldn't work very well, but 4 might. You will have issues with the doors but nothing that couldn't be worked around.

I heat all of my AP cages with a strip if heat tape from Reptile Basics going longways. It's cheaper to get it from them. I'm sure AP would accommodate you if you asked, but getting it from Reotile Basics is easier/cheaper.

The fluorescent light fixtures would have to be installed running parallel to the 24" side of the cage. The ones AP sells are nicer than the ones I've found locally and only cost $2-$3 more so I'd just stick with the ones AP offers.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    You will have issues with the doors but nothing that couldn't be worked around.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Few more questions...Would you mind telling me your thoughts on the door issues that would occur with this kind of setup?

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    I heat all of my AP cages with a strip if heat tape from Reptile Basics going longways. It's cheaper to get it from them. I'm sure AP would accommodate you if you asked, but getting it from Reptile Basics is easier/cheaper.
    What width size do you go with for this setup? I would imagine the 11" flexwatt would be too much in a 24" long enclosure, but perhaps I'm just stuck thinking about having 4" flexwatt under a 28qt tub.

Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Queenbee; 1.0 Spider; 1.0 Spider Het VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Albino Cinny; 1.0 Albino Pin; 1.0 Butter Pastel
    0.1 Het Axanthic; 0.2 Albino; 0.1 Pied
    0.1 Pastave; 0.1 Pastel; 0.1 Butter
    0.1 Super Vanilla Mojave
    Others:
    1.0 Kahl Albino BCI
    1.0 Albino Anaconda Hognose
    Mammals:
    4.0 Kitties, 3.1 Doggos, 0.2 Horses

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lateralus_Love For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (01-25-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus_Love View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Few more questions...Would you mind telling me your thoughts on the door issues that would occur with this kind of setup?

What width size do you go with for this setup? I would imagine the 11" flexwatt would be too much in a 24" long enclosure, but perhaps I'm just stuck thinking about having 4" flexwatt under a 28qt tub.
    I use 12" THG Heat Tape from reptile Basics, 48" of it per T8.

The door issue boils down to you not being able to only open a single cage when trying to get to the inner 2 cages.

Here is what the front of a standard T8 looks like:

Here is a modified T8 set up for 3 dividers (4 cages)

A T8 has 2 sliding glass doors or 2 swing doors. I recommend the sliding glass doors.

To get to one of the inner cages you also have to open the outer cage at the same time. It isn't a huge deal, but under the right circumstances it could get annoying.

If you really wanted to have AP go all out you could ask them to make 4 swing style doors for the cage.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 08-19-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    I'm thinking about getting my B-P a PVC cage soon from pvccages.com with a 40 Watt RHP built-in and adding FlexWatt to the bottom for the hot spot. To make life simpler I want to get a Herpstat 2 so I can control both heat sources with one unit. If I do this, though, is it still possible with the Herpstat 2 to configure a light control for day/night cycles? Or would I need more inputs?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dev_DeCoste For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dev_DeCoste View Post
    I'm thinking about getting my B-P a PVC cage soon from pvccages.com with a 40 Watt RHP built-in and adding FlexWatt to the bottom for the hot spot. To make life simpler I want to get a Herpstat 2 so I can control both heat sources with one unit. If I do this, though, is it still possible with the Herpstat 2 to configure a light control for day/night cycles? Or would I need more inputs?
    No, you would need a herpstat 4 for that.
    ~Aaron

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

Dev_DeCoste (10-30-2013)

Thanks
    Okay, I had a feeling. Thanks!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dev_DeCoste For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Awesome job,but man,you need to add some fake plants and some stuff to give it a more natural enviroment,would look so much cooler... Looks great just bland

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NYHC4LIFE8899 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYHC4LIFE8899 View Post
    Awesome job,but man,you need to add some fake plants and some stuff to give it a more natural enviroment,would look so much cooler... Looks great just bland
    It's just stuff that needs to be disinfected/cleaned on a regular basis, and it does very little to nothing for the snakes as long as proper hides are provided. It just comes dwn to personal preference. I prefer the minimalistic look to fake plants.
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    At one point you say you use 4' of heat tape and another you say 2'. So which is better, one 2' strip of 12" tape or 2 strips side by side? I read that heat tape is supposed to cover 1/3 of the floor surface, is this right?

Thanks for all your help!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dev_DeCoste For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dev_DeCoste View Post
    At one point you say you use 4' of heat tape and another you say 2'. So which is better, one 2' strip of 12" tape or 2 strips side by side? I read that heat tape is supposed to cover 1/3 of the floor surface, is this right?

Thanks for all your help!
    Back when I wrote this thread I set up my cages the way it is pictures with 2 foot of 12" heat tape. Currently I use a single piece of 12" heat tape that is 4 feet long and run it longways accords the back half of the bottom of the cages. I would post some pictures but I don't have any currently.

As for which is better I'd say that depends on how the cage is setup. If the cage is going to be divided I would go with the 48" piece of 12" heat tape. If the cage is going to be for a single snake I would set it up as pictures in this thread.

I wouldn't use 2 pieces of heat tape side by side on a T8.
    ~Aaron

17. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

Dev_DeCoste (12-05-2013)

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast