Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,040

2 members and 3,038 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Re: How to set up a PVC cage (AP T8) With Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by BPGuy View Post
    To save some money, I was going to try to use some battery-operated LED disc lights that I picked up from Costco a couple of years ago. Do you really think the fluorescents make that much of a difference? If so, I'll invest the money now on them. The RHPs seem really expensive compared to the flexwatt, but I also don't want to end up spending the money on the flexwatt only to discover that they are not sufficient and I still need the RHPs. Any suggestions?
    The Fluorescent lights add a significant amount of heat. I see 5+ degrees with them.

I would suggest ordering heat tape from Reptile basics, 2 feet of 12" + the cord set. Reptile Basics will do the wiring for you free of charge. This will be cheaper than buying directly from AP. Get the flexwatt, then if you need the RHP you can always add one later.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    The Fluorescent lights add a significant amount of heat. I see 5+ degrees with them.

I would suggest ordering heat tape from Reptile basics, 2 feet of 12" + the cord set. Reptile Basics will do the wiring for you free of charge. This will be cheaper than buying directly from AP. Get the flexwatt, then if you need the RHP you can always add one later.
    Wow! I just checked the heat tape at Reptile Basics. Two feet of the 12" tape plus the cord set plus the foil tape is only $23.00 total (not including S&H) whereas if I order it from Animal Plastics it is $35. Am I understanding that correctly? If so, I don't mind "wasting" the $23 if I later need to order the RHP.

Do I understand your directions correctly that when using the divider you place the flexwatt in the center of the t8 with the 2 foot running from front to back such that 6" of the flexwatt is on each side of the divider?

In your instructions, you recommend keeping the substrate as thin as possible if using heat tape. I currently use ReptiBark and would like to continue to use it (or switch to cyprus mulch) because it looks nice and does a great job with humidity. Do you think the flexwatt will be effective with, say, 1/2" of ReptiBark?

Just in case I need to go with the RHP, do you have any opinion as to whether the Pro Products is significantly better than the RHP that Reptile Basics offers?

Sorry about all the questions. I Just want to make sure I get it right this time.
    Last edited by BPGuy; 03-25-2013 at 01:10 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGuy For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (01-25-2014)

Thanks

Wow! I just checked the heat tape at Reptile Basics. Two feet of the 12" tape plus the cord set plus the foil tape is only $23.00 total (not including S&H) whereas if I order it from Animal Plastics it is $35. Am I understanding that correctly? If so, I don't mind "wasting" the $23 if I later need to order the RHP.

Yes. In the long run if all you need is the flexwatt it will save you a good amount of money. If you end up needing the RHP you're only out $23.

Do I understand your directions correctly that when using the divider you place the flexwatt in the center of the t8 with the 2 foot running from front to back such that 6" of the flexwatt is on each side of the divider?

Yes. I have multiple cages set up that way currently.

In your instructions, you recommend keeping the substrate as thin as possible if using heat tape. I currently use ReptiBark and would like to continue to use it (or switch to cyprus mulch) because it looks nice and does a great job with humidity. Do you think the flexwatt will be effective with, say, 1/2" of ReptiBark?

Keep in mind that AP cages are made from 1/2" thick PVC sheets. The heat tape will have to heat through that before it can even get to the substrate. My advice is keep it as thin as possible. 1/2" thick should be ok

Just in case I need to go with the RHP, do you have any opinion as to whether the Pro Products is significantly better than the RHP that Reptile Basics offers?

I use reptile basics heat panels. Personally I don't think that the pro-products panels are worth the extra cost.

Sorry about all the questions. I Just want to make sure I get it right this time.
    ~Aaron

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

benzite (09-06-2015)

Thanks

I only own PP, so that's all I can speak to, and they rock. Before you buy, call both places and chat about RHPs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to danojeno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So, here's my shopping list:

Already Have (and would use with a T8):
    • Two adult BPs
    • Two small ceramic water dishes
    • Two Acurite Thermometers
    • Four Reptile Basics large hides (two for each section of the T8 after divider is installed)
    • ReptiBark

Animal Plastics
    • One T8
    • One T8 divider
    • Two fluorescent lights
    • One lock

Reptile Basics:
    • Two feet of 12" inch heat tape
    • THGHeat Wire/Clip/Insulator Set
    • Aluminum foil tape (or, do you use the Ultra Thin Double Layer Tape?)

Does that sound right so far?

The only thing I believe I have not included is a thermostat, which leads me to the next set of questions. When I was considering the RHPs, I figured I would purchase the Herpstat 2 and use one thermostat to control each of the RHPs (so I could independently control each side of the T8). However, I am concerned that if I start out with the heat tape and end up needing to add RHPs, the Herpstat 2 will not be sufficient and that I will need a Herpstat 4. If I end up having to purchase the RHPs, can I still use the Herpstat 2 by itself? If so, how would I do that (e.g., plug one RHP into each thermostat and don't use a thermostat for the heat tape? But that would leave the heat tape unregulated. Or, would I plug both RHPs into one thermostat and plug the heat tape into the other? But if I did that, where would I put the probes (one under the heat tape and the other one one side of the tank)? Also, if I start out with the Herpstat 2, would you recommend placing just one probe in the center of the heat tape, right under the divider? Or, would you recommend using both probes under the heat tape?

Last question for now: Would you consider any other thermostats besides the Herpstats (e.g., the ones sold by Reptile Basics)?

Thanks again for all your patience with my newbie questions. I don't want to have keep fussing with getting the vivarium set-up; instead, I want to enjoy the BPs.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPGuy For This Useful Post:

benzite (09-06-2015),The Serpent Merchant (01-25-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danojeno View Post
    I only own PP, so that's all I can speak to, and they rock. Before you buy, call both places and chat about RHPs.
    Thanks. I know that Animal Plastics recommends Pro Products. At this point, I'm first trying to decide whether I just try the heat tape without RHPs (which would save me about $150). I'm thinking that as we enter the summer months and the room temperature in my house is in the 78-82 range, the heat tape and fluorescent lights will be sufficient. Thus, I probably won't know until next winter (when the room temperatures in my house drop to 68-72) whether I need to add the RHPs. In one sense, that is nice because it means I don't have to spend the money on the RHPs now and will feel more comfortable buying the T8 now. How difficult is it to add the RHPs to a T8 yourself after it is all set up?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGuy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My T8 with just flexwatt on a Herpstat and fluorescent lighting stays 90 on warm side and 80-82 on cool side even in the winter months (on a second floor).

Burmese Pythons: 1.0 Albino [George]

Reticulated Pythons: 1.0 White Phase [Zeus]

Ball Pythons:
    0.1 Spider [Isis] | 0.2 Normal [Athena/Pandora]

Carpet Pythons: 0.1 Jungle [Pris]

Colombian BCI: 1.0 Crimson/Pastel [Pablo] | 1.0 Hypo Salmon [Escobar] | 0.1 Pastel [Haven]

Black Rat Snakes: 0.1 Albino [Malachi]

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Willie76 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks. I know that Animal Plastics recommends Pro Products. At this point, I'm first trying to decide whether I just try the heat tape without RHPs (which would save me about $150). I'm thinking that as we enter the summer months and the room temperature in my house is in the 78-82 range, the heat tape and fluorescent lights will be sufficient. Thus, I probably won't know until next winter (when the room temperatures in my house drop to 68-72) whether I need to add the RHPs. In one sense, that is nice because it means I don't have to spend the money on the RHPs now and will feel more comfortable buying the T8 now. How difficult is it to add the RHPs to a T8 yourself after it is all set up?
    It is cleaner, but not necessary, to have AP install the RHPs. In addition to the basic install, which looks quite easy, they router channels for the power cords. This looks alot cleaner. Now, if you have 78 to 82 temps in that room, you are not going to be running squat for heat, if the fluorescents are on. The other day we had a crazy heat spell and I came home to a screaming Herpstat alarm, set to 86. Ambient room temp was 82 and the fluorescents cooked up the cage to 86. Temp gradient is easy to maintain...unless your room temp equals your ideal ambient or cool side temp. Then any heat you throw at the hot side erases the gradient. Not a big deal, but gotta watch out for the light usage when the room is warm.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to danojeno For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So, here's my shopping list:

Already Have (and would use with a T8):
    • Two adult BPs
    • Two small ceramic water dishes
    • Two Acurite Thermometers
    • Four Reptile Basics large hides (two for each section of the T8 after divider is installed)
    • ReptiBark

Animal Plastics
    • One T8
    • One T8 divider
    • Two fluorescent lights
    • One lock

Reptile Basics:
    • Two feet of 12" inch heat tape
    • THGHeat Wire/Clip/Insulator Set
    • Aluminum foil tape (or, do you use the Ultra Thin Double Layer Tape?)

Does that sound right so far?

The only thing I believe I have not included is a thermostat, which leads me to the next set of questions. When I was considering the RHPs, I figured I would purchase the Herpstat 2 and use one thermostat to control each of the RHPs (so I could independently control each side of the T8). However, I am concerned that if I start out with the heat tape and end up needing to add RHPs, the Herpstat 2 will not be sufficient and that I will need a Herpstat 4. If I end up having to purchase the RHPs, can I still use the Herpstat 2 by itself? If so, how would I do that (e.g., plug one RHP into each thermostat and don't use a thermostat for the heat tape? But that would leave the heat tape unregulated. Or, would I plug both RHPs into one thermostat and plug the heat tape into the other? But if I did that, where would I put the probes (one under the heat tape and the other one one side of the tank)? Also, if I start out with the Herpstat 2, would you recommend placing just one probe in the center of the heat tape, right under the divider? Or, would you recommend using both probes under the heat tape?

Last question for now: Would you consider any other thermostats besides the Herpstats (e.g., the ones sold by Reptile Basics)?

Thanks again for all your patience with my newbie questions. I don't want to have keep fussing with getting the vivarium set-up; instead, I want to enjoy the BPs.
    Your list looks good.

All 3 heat sources will need their own thermostat (or thermostat channel in the case of the herpstat 2 or 4).

You have 3 options:

1. Get a herpstat 4 from the beginning. This is as future proof as possible. If nothing else you could use the other channels to control the lights, and even musters.

2. Get a herpstat 1 now and if you need to add RHP's down the road get a herpstat 2 for them at that time as well.

3. Get a herpstat 2 from the start. If you need RHP's stop using heat tape and only the RHP's.

You cannot run heat tape without a thermostat.

I wouldn't consider other thermostats currently. The herpstat thermostat line has more features, are safer, have great support, and are a better deal $ for $. Than anything else on the market.
    ~Aaron

17. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

benzite (09-06-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willie76 View Post
    My T8 with just flexwatt on a Herpstat and fluorescent lighting stays 90 on warm side and 80-82 on cool side even in the winter months (on a second floor).
    What is the room temperature (during the winter) that your T8 is in?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGuy For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast