Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 541

1 members and 540 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Need some tips on how to increase overall temperatures in my terrarium

Hey! It's my first post here, so I'd like to say hello to all of you - your forum and posts are really helpful

I need some help with my ball python terrarium (it's my first snake) - pictures are available here: https://imgur.com/a/jIflTfU

It's 50x30x30cm glass tank with metal ventillation strips below along the front door and at the top (each around 5cm wide). I am using a 7W UTH heating mat (15x30cm) on the right side of the terrarium (along the right side of the tank, below the coconut hide). It's attached to the thermostat and placed below the tank. It's attached to the bottom glass with aluminum tape, my thermostat probe is attached to the mat from below (previously I had the probe between bottom glass and the mat, but air gap caused by the probe was problematic and I didnt get similar, equal temperatures on the mat, now it's way better).

I have two thermometers with probes- one probe is on the left side, above the cold hide, second is directly above heat mat, attached to the glass inside the tank.

Here's my question: substrate temperature in the warm zone is okay, around 31-33 C (88-92F) and my snake likes to sit in the coconut hide, but apart from that, ambient temperatures are almost identical and similar to my room temperature, which is, I believe, a bit too low, around 24-25 C (75-77F). How could I increase the temperature to get a good temperature gradient? As you can see in the photo, I have a double dome lamp, on the right sits Repti Planet Daylight Basking 25W bulb, on the left Night Heat 25W bulb (I am not using it anymore because I've read it messes up day/night cycle, I turn it on only to feed my snake in the evening, I've also seen my snake attack it once and he hit the glass so it seems it bothers him ). What bulb/emitter should I replace these bulbs with? I've read that deep heat projectors are the best, but can they be used from above the tank? Any ideas?

Thank you for your time and help

Thanks

Re: Need some tips on how to increase overall temperatures in my terrarium

i think an ambient of 75-77 is just fine you can use a low wattage deep heat projector if you want, and they can be used from above the tank. it would definitely increase ambient temps.
    Last edited by blisterbeetle; 09-10-2022 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blisterbeetle View Post
    i think an ambient of 75-77 is just fine you can use a low wattage deep heat projector if you want, and they can be used from above the tank. it would definitely increase ambient temps.
    Alright, but what exactly is a *deep heat projector*, is it ONLY made by Arcadia (thats what Ive found, only 50W and 80W), because no other brand makes these? I assume it is NOT the same as ceramic emitter or IR bulb?
    Last edited by clb; 09-10-2022 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks

arcadia is one of the more "reputable" DHP sellers, i've personally used it for my snake and it's worked great as my main source of heat. it doesn't emit any light, just heat, so it's definitely not the same as a ceramic emitter or IR bulb.

they give a pretty in-depth explanation of it here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XHVip9ekbk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blisterbeetle For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-10-2022),Homebody (09-10-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,158 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    Here's my question: substrate temperature in the warm zone is okay, around 31-33 C (88-92F) and my snake likes to sit in the coconut hide, but apart from that, ambient temperatures are almost identical and similar to my room temperature, which is, I believe, a bit too low, around 24-25 C (75-77F). How could I increase the temperature to get a good temperature gradient?
    I agree that your ambient is low and that you should raise it to 80F. I caution you to do so carefully, because temperatures that are too high are more dangerous than temperatures that are too low.

I haven't used either a CHE or DHP, but, from the infomercial above, it seems the DHP would be more beneficial for basking species than for a ball python.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

blisterbeetle (09-10-2022),Bogertophis (09-10-2022),dakski (09-11-2022),Malum Argenteum (09-10-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I agree that your ambient is low and that you should raise it to 80F. I caution you to do so carefully, because temperatures that are too high are more dangerous than temperatures that are too low.

I haven't used either a CHE or DHP, but, from the infomercial above, it seems the DHP would be more beneficial for basking species than for a ball python.
    Alright, so what do you use?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,158 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    Alright, so what do you use?
    I use a radiant heat panel, but my set up is very different than yours. I think you have a really nice set up. It just needs a little tweaking. A higher wattage bulb, maybe? A ceramic heat emitter? I can't say. I've never used a glass set up. I kept my ball python in a plastic sterilite tub with a UTH before upgrading to my current plywood enclosure.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)