Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,374

2 members and 3,372 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg Box Temps

Thanks

Question Egg Box Temps

I have the incubator together and I'm testing temps. I am replacing the fan with a bigger one because there is a temp difference between the top and bottom shelves.

How much of a variance can there be in the egg boxes? I read that the inside of the egg boxes should be 88-90 degrees. Does that mean that the box on the top shelf can stay at 90 and the one on the bottom shelf can stay at 88?

How far off can the temps be and still have good results?

Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks
    As long as you don't move the boxes to a different shelf while incubating they will be fine.
    ~Jessica~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: Egg Box Temps

In the wild temps I am sure temps move quite a bit.

I like to stay around 88-88.5 to give it room to heat up a little if the room heats up(I live in Southern Cali). I have seen it spike up to 92 on hot day with no ill effects. Most incubators are designed to heat up but not necessarily cool down. If temps are steady during cooler months I may go to 89-89.5 still leaving room to heat up a degree or two.

Thanks
    So basically if the boxes on the top shelf stay at 90 and the ones on the bottom shelf stay at 88 for the entire incubation time (with slight changes when opening the door to check) the eggs should all be OK. That correct?

What is the absolute minimum and maximum temps for eggs that could cause problems?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post
    So basically if the boxes on the top shelf stay at 90 and the ones on the bottom shelf stay at 88 for the entire incubation time (with slight changes when opening the door to check) the eggs should all be OK. That correct?

What is the absolute minimum and maximum temps for eggs that could cause problems?
    I have heard sooo many diff opinions about egg incubation so with a question like that youre gunna start a mudslinging debate lol. IMO your setup and fluctuation should be fine. I remember someone in another thread said that if spider eggs are incubated at a slightly lower temp then they wont have a wobble. So if you have any spider eggs i would put them on the bottom
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post

They should be just fine. What I do sometimes is the last week of incubation I move the box to the lower shelf where it is cooler. The reason for this is the eggs will start getting warmer as the metabolism of the snakes increases when they approach hatching. Sometimes you will start to see condensation right at the end as egg boxes get warmer. I also open a small ventilation hole in the egg box for the last week or two as they will also absorb more oxygen too as their metabolism increases, the ventilation will also stop any condensation from forming.

As far as minimum and max temps, I have never pushed the envelope to see what happens at extreme temps but I have had 87 low and 93 high spikes for short periods of time without any ill effects.
    Last edited by West Coast Jungle; 02-15-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    I remember someone in another thread said that if spider eggs are incubated at a slightly lower temp then they wont have a wobble. So if you have any spider eggs i would put them on the bottom
    Here's the mud slinging....I call BS
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    I have heard sooo many diff opinions about egg incubation so with a question like that youre gunna start a mudslinging debate lol. IMO your setup and fluctuation should be fine. I remember someone in another thread said that if spider eggs are incubated at a slightly lower temp then they wont have a wobble. So if you have any spider eggs i would put them on the bottom
    Do you have any experience hatching spiders? I have hatched many spiders and this is completely bogus as the wobble is genetic, not incubation related. I think folks should give advice on things they have experience with and not just regurgitate what they read on the internet. I have seen people take bad advice and do more harm than good.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

BallsUnlimited (02-16-2012),jsmorphs2 (02-15-2012),snakesRkewl (02-15-2012)

Thanks
    My first spider was purchased in 2002ish and i mortgaged the house to buy him. I have been working with spiders and spider combos for years and there is no truth at all about incubation temps and the wobble. As far as flucuatuon in the incubator its fine if they jump a coupke degrees north and south. As long as they dont spike and stay at extremes your fine. I have a walk in incubator that is heated by a space heater and i stay between 88 and 90 with an occasional rise to 91 and down to 87 but it never stays there. Sometimes through the heat cycling it flucuates. No big deal. Havent lost any eggs due to this system yet. Now i do know some breeders that have been tinkerin around with droping temps a couple degrees and incubating at 87 degrees and have found this keeps the snake in the egg a few days longer and the babies come out fatter and fully digested yolk sacks. Now im not in any way saying to do this but it is being done with success.
    Last edited by snake lab; 02-15-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snake lab For This Useful Post:

BallsUnlimited (02-16-2012),West Coast Jungle (02-15-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snake lab View Post
    My first spider was purchased in 2002ish and i mortgaged the house to buy him. I have been working with spiders and spider combos for years and there is no truth at all about incubation temps and the wobble. As far as flucuatuon in the incubator its fine if they jump a coupke degrees north and south. As long as they dont spike and stay at extremes your fine. I have a walk in incubator that is heated by a space heater and i stay between 88 and 90 with an occasional rise to 91 and down to 87 but it never stays there. Sometimes through the heat cycling it flucuates. No big deal. Havent lost any eggs due to this system yet. Now i do know some breeders that have been tinkerin around with droping temps a couple degrees and incubating at 87 degrees and have found this keeps the snake in the egg a few days longer and the babies come out fatter and fully digested yolk sacks. Now im not in any way saying to do this but it is being done with success.
    So if I take this a little further, is it safe to assume that there is difference in temps from upper and lower shelves it will just effect the hatch date and not the development.

IOW, the top shelf boxes at 90 degrees will hatch a few days earlier than the bottom shelf boxes at 87 degrees but the babies will all be OK, generally speaking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast