Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,301

2 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Proposal for required $100,000 liability insurance per animal???

I saw something on Facebook about this being proposed by HSUS and Allstate but can't find anything concrete on it. From what I can gather, this is part of that idiotic Illinois law and requires this for some kind of permit to own a "dangerous animal" which in the case of these morons includes practically everything that isn't a dog or cat. Can anybody confirm this? Obviously a requirement like this would make it cost prohibitive for those of us that have multiple animals. I'm not a big breeder and mine would be well into the 7 figure range in liability insurance which I imagine would cost a pretty penny.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Your best option? Write in, Call in, show up, and FIGHT this bill.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

minguss (02-08-2012)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    This is a poster made in regards to the Illinois dangerous animal bill that is currently trying to go through. To own any of the animals on their new list would require an annual $250 permit PER animal plus $100,000.00 insurance per animal.

The list includes all boas, pythons, some toads, scorpions, spiders, prairie dogs, etc.

It's absolutely insane.

Look under laws and legislation for the threads on it and find my thread "help save our pets LOOK" and sign the petition.

USARK is on it.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Proposal for required $100,000 liability insurance per animal???

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    This is a poster made in regards to the Illinois dangerous animal bill that is currently trying to go through. To own any of the animals on their new list would require an annual $250 permit PER animal plus $100,000.00 insurance per animal.

The list includes all boas, pythons, some toads, scorpions, spiders, prairie dogs, etc.

It's absolutely insane.

Look under laws and legislation for the threads on it and find my thread "help save our pets LOOK" and sign the petition.

USARK is on it.
    Thanks. That's what I thought it was. I've already sent letters as well.

BPnet Veteran HighVoltageRoyals's Avatar
    Thanks
    What the hell?! This is just getting to be ridiculous.
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." -Picasso

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HighVoltageRoyals View Post
    What the hell?! This is just getting to be ridiculous.
    If Allstate actually pulls this stupid stunt, drop them and find another insurance company.

Money talks.

The lack of money screams.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Salamander Rising For This Useful Post:

sorraia (03-20-2013)

Thanks
    AFAIK Allstate has no role in this [this is coming from someone who doesn't like them from past experieneces, I would have reason to call them out for it if I could]. I saw the same image on facebook, pretty sure it was a parody picture shopped together to make a political point.

This insurance policy idea is really crazy. I don't know of a state in the US who requires you to carry that much CAR insurance. Yet even if a really "deadly" animal [like a bear] was able to hurt people, in reality this means what, 1-2 people to file claims? When a driver is being criminally negligent by driving recklessly, or driving drunk; they can easily be responsible for the death of over 8 people. Plus all the property damage from the wrecked cars [that adds up fast]. For crying out loud, the state I live in only requires you to carry 10k in liability. People usually carry more, because thats so pitiful. But that's all you need to be street legal. No "pet" requires you to have TEN TIMES the amount of insurance as you need for your car.

This is by far one of the craziest, nonsensical things I have seen a state try to pull.

The only logical explanation is that they are doing this intentionally to try to make it impossible to own a snake legally.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    The bill they tried here in Nebraska was the same, it would have required $100,000 in insurance to keep an iguana (among other things), plus posting signs in your front yard saying 'dangerous wild animal on premises', which is a real hoot.

We beat it--fortunately, the Nebraska herp society and USARK came through, and we got a good number of people showing up at the hearing, which REALLY MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE. The paper letters also make a difference.
    I'm personally not sure that petitions matter at all, and e-mail isn't as nifty as paper to these guys...most of them are older, and e-media doesn't seem entirely real to them.

So, if you want to beat it, send paper, call them, and SHOW UP, in the flesh--and talk to them.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    The bill they tried here in Nebraska was the same, it would have required $100,000 in insurance to keep an iguana (among other things), plus posting signs in your front yard saying 'dangerous wild animal on premises', which is a real hoot.

We beat it--fortunately, the Nebraska herp society and USARK came through, and we got a good number of people showing up at the hearing, which REALLY MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE. The paper letters also make a difference.
    I'm personally not sure that petitions matter at all, and e-mail isn't as nifty as paper to these guys...most of them are older, and e-media doesn't seem entirely real to them.

So, if you want to beat it, send paper, call them, and SHOW UP, in the flesh--and talk to them.
    An Iguana?!?

WTH?

Did you outfit yours with razors and spikes and train it to attack?!?

[personally, I'm arming all my snakes...which is kinda hard to accomplish what with having no arms and all]

"posting signs in your front yard saying 'dangerous wild animal on premises"

Huh.
    I bet hubby would like one of those for me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Salamander Rising For This Useful Post:

birdiebot (05-06-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post

It's absolutely insane.

USARK is on it.
    I dunno.
    They might have a point with prairie dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast