Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,248

2 members and 1,246 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Mites - When is it safe to relax?

I had to treat my QT room for mites last month. I took them all out and coated them in olive oil to drowned the mites and the sprayed down all of my tubs with PAM after bleaching them all. I just sprayed my tubs down again last night and I didn't see any mites on my babies, but is it safe to relax yet. It's been about 4 weeks since the last time I treated the tubs.

My two snakes that got hit the hardest were my hog island boas since they were in the tub next to the one the infested snake was in and since they are so speckled it's hard to be sure they don't have any on them.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Mites - When is it safe to relax?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinra View Post
    I had to treat my QT room for mites last month. I took them all out and coated them in olive oil to drowned the mites and the sprayed down all of my tubs with PAM after bleaching them all. I just sprayed my tubs down again last night and I didn't see any mites on my babies, but is it safe to relax yet. It's been about 4 weeks since the last time I treated the tubs.

My two snakes that got hit the hardest were my hog island boas since they were in the tub next to the one the infested snake was in and since they are so speckled it's hard to be sure they don't have any on them.
    I dont know but I'm pretty sure you shouldnt rub your snakes down with olive oil, a good soak in water will do the same thing. Also if you cleaned all your tubs out and treated the substrate with provent a mite that should probably do the trick since it works extremely well, I would clean tubs, soak snakes in water, and use provent a mite an additional time to ensure they are all gone and you should be fine. Good Luck
    Last edited by Domepiece; 02-06-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Domepiece View Post
    I dont know but I'm pretty sure you shouldnt rub your snakes down with olive oil, a good soak in water will do the same thing. Also if you cleaned all your tubs out and treated the substrate with provent a mite that should probably do the trick since it works extremely well, I would clean tubs, soak snakes in water, and use provent a mite an additional time to ensure they are all gone and you should be fine. Good Luck
    Coating them in oil is okay as long as you clean them off afterwards. I found a couple of people who said they did this to treat for mites and it worked for them. I've also used oil to remove a snake from a sticky rat trap. As long as you wash it off, it's okay to use.

I just re-treated for mites, but I'm wonder if it is safe to relax yet. I've been on high alert with the rest of my collection since the out break started. I haven't seen them anywhere other than my QT room but it would be nice to relax a little.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    Snakes
    Lizards
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks

I'm going through the same thing right now. I used PAM, but would hate to let my guard down and have them come back. I'll be following this thread as well.
    -Jordan

Balls
    0.1 Pinstripe.............................1.0 DH Lavender Snow
    0.2 PH Lavender Albino.............0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Pastel PH Ghost..................1.0 Pastel Het Ghost
    0.2 PH Ghost (Twins)................1.0 Cinnamon
    0.1 Het TSK Axanthic................1.3 Mojave
    0.1 Het Albino..........................1.0 Albino PH Pied
    1.1 Het Pied.............................1.0 Dinker
    1.2 Normal...............................1.0 Pastel Lesser

Boa
    0.1 Super Salmon Het Sunglow

Check us out at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dem...13090085417762

Thanks
    Okay, I know I'm not the first person to deal with a mite out break so someone out there must be able to help me.

I'm tired of being on high alert. I do QT, but I'm not usually as anal about it as I have been since the out break. I have separate equipment and I do the QT room last, but since the out break I've been changing my clothes and showering every time I leave the room and the clothes go straight into the washer. It was bad enough dealing with the mites in QT but I really don't want anything in my main collection to get them. Do you think it's okay to relax a little and go back to how I typically handle QT or should I still be on high alert?
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    Snakes
    Lizards
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)