Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,883

1 members and 2,882 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

fire safe homemade rack??

So I have been thinking a lot lately about making my own rack and here is my question. Can I....
    * make a rack out of cheap wood (as in the cheap particle board bookshelves they sell at walmart) then

* treat the wood with a fire retardant like this http://www.flamestop.com/html/product_guide.html then

*put heat tape on it (belly heat set up) and hook it up to a nice thermostat??

Would this be fire safe?? Would the heat tape work on a fire retardant treated material?? Any other concerns to consider??

BPnet Veteran HighVoltageRoyals's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hmmmm....I'm not sure of the toxicity of fire retardant but I would imagine that the safest thing you could possibly do is get melamine (I hear that melamine is pretty fire resistant). I personally wouldn't expose my snakes to DIY treated wood because I'm not a risk taker like that. I might just be crazy though and it could be completely harmless because I don't know too much about what type of product you are going to use to treat the wood.

On a side note: nothing is going to be 100% fire safe; you're always going to have the potential of fire when dealing with the amount of electrical aspects that goes into BPs. But also, in the pursuit of avoiding a pitfall (fire), don't unexpectedly jump into another (poisoning via toxins).
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." -Picasso

Thanks

Re: fire safe homemade rack??

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessReptiles View Post
    Hmmmm....I'm not sure of the toxicity of fire retardant but I would imagine that the safest thing you could possibly do is get melamine (I hear that melamine is pretty fire resistant). I personally wouldn't expose my snakes to DIY treated wood because I'm not a risk taker like that. I might just be crazy though and it could be completely harmless because I don't know too much about what type of product you are going to use to treat the wood.

On a side note: nothing is going to be 100% fire safe; you're always going to have the potential of fire when dealing with the amount of electrical aspects that goes into BPs. But also, in the pursuit of avoiding a pitfall (fire), don't unexpectedly jump into another (poisoning via toxins).
    yes, i did worry about using a product that is not normally used with snakes so i researched it a bit and came across this in their faq's and since im not using it inside their enclosure i feel comfortable using it.

Are there Bromides or Formaldehyde in any of Flame Stop’s products?

No, since Flame Stop fire retardant and firestop products were invented we have never manufactured a toxic product. While Formaldehyde might be considered non toxic at very low levels, it remains a known Carcinogen and will not be used by Flame Stop. Fire Retardants that contain toxic chemicals give the industry a bad name.

the link to the above paragraph can be found here http://www.flamestop.com/html/faq.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brittani72 View Post
    yes, i did worry about using a product that is not normally used with snakes so i researched it a bit and came across this in their faq's and since im not using it inside their enclosure i feel comfortable using it.

Are there Bromides or Formaldehyde in any of Flame Stop’s products?

No, since Flame Stop fire retardant and firestop products were invented we have never manufactured a toxic product. While Formaldehyde might be considered non toxic at very low levels, it remains a known Carcinogen and will not be used by Flame Stop. Fire Retardants that contain toxic chemicals give the industry a bad name.

the link to the above paragraph can be found here http://www.flamestop.com/html/faq.html
    Very good researching! I'm impressed.

One other question to ask though: Would humidity affect the treatment in a way that would expose your snakes to the possibility of coming into contact with the flame retardant (in it's pre-treated state)?

If no to the above, then by all means, this seems like a safe bet and would serve as a good precaution to fire damage.
    Last edited by HighVoltageRoyals; 01-31-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." -Picasso

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HighVoltageRoyals For This Useful Post:

brittani72 (01-31-2012)

Thanks
    I don't know about all that but I asked my dad who works with wood about the fire resistance of melamine and he said the only real way it can catch fire is if it's set to fire, in other words it has to be exposed to flame. It's pretty heat resistant other wise. You should try using melamine. =)
    0.0.1 A. Versicolor (tarantula)
    0.3 Cats
    0.1 Dog
    0.0.1 C. Cyaneopubescens (tarantula)

Coming soon: 0.1 Pastel Ball Python

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AmysAnimals For This Useful Post:

slapdirty (01-31-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessReptiles View Post
    Very good researching! I'm impressed.

One other question to ask though: Would humidity affect the treatment in a way that would expose your snakes to the possibility of coming into contact with the flame retardant (in it's pre-treated state)?

If no to the above, then by all means, this seems like a safe bet and would serve as a good precaution to fire damage.
    THAT is a good question.....Maybe I will shoot them a line and see what they say... There is some more information here but it's a little over my head maybe someone else can read it and will be able to answer this question for me??

http://www.flamestop.com/Flame-Stop-II.pdf

Thanks
    Just order a rack from Animal Plastics
    Selective Buying + Selective Breeding = Select Results!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AGoldReptiles For This Useful Post:

slapdirty (01-31-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGoldReptiles View Post
    Just order a rack from Animal Plastics
    lol i would if i had that kind of money but i'd prefer to use what money i do have on the snakes, not the setup. i am trying to do this for purely financial reasons.
    Last edited by brittani72; 01-31-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    heres the only melamine thing i could find without buying a professional rack (and for this price i mind as well) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitney-Br...Maple/16530156

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brittani72 View Post
    heres the only melamine thing i could find without buying a professional rack (and for this price i mind as well) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitney-Br...Maple/16530156
    Building it yourself would be significantly cheaper (about $150-$200 depending and that's overestimating). Pieces of melamine wood can be found at your local Home Depot or Lowes.

All of the "expensive" stuff that comes with racks is usually the heat and the thermostat which wouldn't be included on the rack you get from Walmart anyway.
    Last edited by HighVoltageRoyals; 01-31-2012 at 04:15 PM.
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighVoltageRoyals For This Useful Post:

brittani72 (01-31-2012),slapdirty (01-31-2012)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast