Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,077

1 members and 3,076 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Humidity Thread.

I just bought a four paws Reptile Humidity Indicator. Pic Related. Not a fan of these types but couldn't find anything at wal-mart and this is all the exotic pet store had... I was not impressed.

Also, general, "What do you use to gauge your humidity thread"
    Last edited by HeadSetJones; 01-31-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    HeadSetJones
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python, "Donut".
    0.0.1 Albino Corn Snake, "Ekans".
    0.0.2 Red Ear Sliders
    0.0.1 Snapper.
    -----------------
    R.I.P.~ 0.0.1 Emp Scorpion, "Jax". ~R.I.P.
    ----------------------------
    Wish List: 1.0.0 Black Axanthic BP.

MEDIOCRE SHOW
    MediocreShow.com

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I use these, they have them at Wall*Mart, but if you local one doesn't for some reason (they usually are in the strangest places: paint section, light bulb section, one time I even saw them in the auto section) you can buy them online.

They measure 2 temperatures and humidity. Costs $12
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I can't say about accuracy of the one you posted I have not used one. Hygrometers are very easy to check so I would recommend testing it. (salt test) Most will recommend digital hygrometers (Hi Aaron :-) I am not one of them. Cheap digital systems use electrical resistance to measure humidity. The calibration of resistance types is very difficult (same way most digital meters measure temps too) ANYTHING that changes the resistance changes the reading, dust dirt pee bent cord and many other causes.

I like analogue ones with METAL face cards (paper cards often warp and jam the needle) the metal type designed for cigar humidors are calibratable so that with the simple salt test you can check and adjust them if they need it.

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Bezel-Rou...023356&sr=8-22

The listed specs on the last accurite I owned was +/-2ºF and +/- 20% RH The best one I had was 1.8ºF hight and 15% low. so it read 92 it was actually 93.8 and it read 55% it actually was 45% I never will trust them I have the ability to check (I calibrate instruments at work makes sense doesn't it) But most don't have 1000$ thermometers kicking around.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Re: Humidity Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    I can't say about accuracy of the one you posted I have not used one. Hygrometers are very easy to check so I would recommend testing it. (salt test) Most will recommend digital hygrometers (Hi Aaron :-) I am not one of them. Cheap digital systems use electrical resistance to measure humidity. The calibration of resistance types is very difficult (same way most digital meters measure temps too) ANYTHING that changes the resistance changes the reading, dust dirt pee bent cord and many other causes.

I like analogue ones with METAL face cards (paper cards often warp and jam the needle) the metal type designed for cigar humidors are calibratable so that with the simple salt test you can check and adjust them if they need it.

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Bezel-Rou...023356&sr=8-22

The listed specs on the last accurite I owned was +/-2ºF and +/- 20% RH The best one I had was 1.8ºF hight and 15% low. so it read 92 it was actually 93.8 and it read 55% it actually was 45% I never will trust them I have the ability to check (I calibrate instruments at work makes sense doesn't it) But most don't have 1000$ thermometers kicking around.
    I agree that they are not the best, but for the price I like them. I have a 4 channel lab grade data acquisition unit alone with some temperature and humidity probes (along with others as this isn't actually for my snakes but my engineering degree ) on the way so I will be able to run some tests of my own soon enough. Maybe I'll stick with these, maybe I won't. Only time will tell buying the mean time the accurites have served me well so I will continue on with them until I have reasons otherwise.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    The best gauge for humidity is whether your snake sheds in one piece.
    If it doesn't shed in one piece then you need to up the humidity, if it does shed in one piece then you've got plenty of humidity.
    I don't trust any cheap hygrometer but I do trust the snake's shed.
    Jerry Robertson

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

AGoldReptiles (01-31-2012),kitedemon (01-31-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Jerry has this one right for sure.

I deal with instruments everyday so I tend to use them as a crutch. I am also crazy fussy with them I will accept 5% up or down but I really want less than 1%. I don't have the ability to calibrate to this accuracy, the salt tests are only to 1% +/-.

I have been trying to learn to let it go and have managed to not toss a thermometer that when tested today was 1.2ºF high.

Ok I just did toss it. I really should not write in posts like this my standard is too high un reasonable for most to manage. The accurite is likely fine just keep in mind it is likely off by a bit and plan according say set the hot spot to be 91 and if it is high be a degree or two it is still fine same for a degree or two low. Assume it is within a 3 or 4 degree range and set based on this. Same for the hygrometer (40-80% can't even think about that) if the snake sheds it is good.