Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 937

2 members and 935 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Veiled Chameleon

Our son got to hold his first Veiled Chameleon today at the New England Reptile Exp, and he was really excited. It was a baby and as small as a wine bottle cork, very cute.

We are thinking about getting him one for Valentines day, anyone point me in the direction as to who are some breeders, if you have good experiences with them and know they will help a first time chameleon owner that would be nice too.

Plus if you want to point me into the right direction as far as a set up for the little guy, we're hoping to get a baby, or close to it.

Thanks
    Don't let the stuff you read online scare you from getting one. I already felt overwhelmed with the collection I have in my reptile room and wasn't sure if I wanted to take on a cham, but I'm really glad I did. Not even half as hard to take care of as I read and imagined.

I got a baby at a local show I think it was this time last year. I kept it in a small 5 gallon tank until it grew a little and I knew it could navigate a larger enclosure. I replaced the tank with a reptibreeze, the XL I believe. I kept it on it's side until my cham grew large enough for it height wise. I filled it with fake plants, and keep reptibark on the bottom, just for looks. I also have the thick fake vines around it and some bamboo sticks.

I use a plastic salad container (from buying greens for my dragon) for a feeding dish. I attached it to the cage by putting two small holes in one side and feeding planters twine through it. I have it heated with a large hood that holds two UVB lights and one UVA. I also keep a Reptifogger hooked up to it which is connected to a timer to dish out just enough moisture. I use to have live plants in his cage, but they would get over watered from the fogger.

My guy is pretty big now, and not all that friendly, but that's mostly due to the fact that we don't hold him every day. Loves roaches and superworms. We're thinking about getting a female, but selection was low this year at the local show. Let me know if there are any other questions you might have.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've always wanted one but am intimidated by the caresheets I've read online. I've already decided that I'll name him John Paul. After the pope. Cause it looks like he has a pope hat on his head!!

I'm a dork...I know it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    The best advice I can give you is:

1) http://www.chameleonforums.com/

2) They aren't cheap, but they aren't as difficult to get to thrive in captivity as some sources claim.

3) The most important diet advice I have is variety is good.

4) Don't get your heart set on a veiled right away just because it's the first chameleon your son held. I highly recommend panther chameleons as well.. their colors are out of this world.

Thanks

Re: Veiled Chameleon

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    3) The most important diet advice I have is variety is good.
    No lie there! I breed dubias and mine, I've found, I can trick with the roaches when that's all I have. I'll normally feed nymphs (large), but when mine decides to be picky, I'll throw in some adult males and he'll gobble them up. I try to also keep a small stock of superworms available for when something goes picky, that will usually end a strike.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF