Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,915

3 members and 2,912 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Does anyone else give snakes bath's?

Does anyone else let their snake's swim in the bath tub? I like to let mine swim in the bath tub every now and then in some shallow warm water just for fun or if they are having a little bit of a hard time shedding. I have one that I rescued and he has scars among other things and allways has a hard time shedding so I let him sit in the bath tub for a little bit every other day when he shed's.

Thanks
    Scars shouldn't really afffect shedding I wouldn't think. My girl has a good sized scar on her underside from an old accident and never has a problem with shed. Soaking gets rid of the snakes natural oils and usually makes it harder for them to shed. I would just have a water bowl big enough for your snake to soak if it feels neccessary. Are you raising the humidity up to 70% while your bp is in shed?

Plus to add forced soaking can be very stressful for your snake. Your bp isn't swimming its trying to get out. I only clean my snake when she gets soiled and that's just a wipe down not a bath.
    Last edited by VEXER19; 01-29-2012 at 04:22 PM.
    -Joe

0.1 Albino Ball Python (Kira)
    1.1 Boxers (Kobe) and (Cali)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VEXER19 For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (01-29-2012),heathers*bps (01-30-2012),Kris Mclaughlin (08-13-2012)

Thanks
    Usually they just sit there and sometimes slowly move around they definately don't try to get out, they have a upside down tub they can get on. I have one that doesn't like it so she never get's put in the bath tub. I don't fill the entire tub up they can go into and get out of the water if they want. My adults seem to enjoy it more than the smaller ones.

Thanks
    That may be so I guess, but do as you please. Just giving you the facts.
    -Joe

0.1 Albino Ball Python (Kira)
    1.1 Boxers (Kobe) and (Cali)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Does anyone else give snakes bath's?

Quote Originally Posted by VEXER19 View Post
    Scars shouldn't really afffect shedding I wouldn't think. My girl has a good sized scar on her underside from an old accident and never has a problem with shed. Soaking gets rid of the snakes natural oils and usually makes it harder for them to shed. I would just have a water bowl big enough for your snake to soak if it feels neccessary. Are you raising the humidity up to 70% while your bp is in shed?

Plus to add forced soaking can be very stressful for your snake. Your bp isn't swimming its trying to get out. I only clean my snake when she gets soiled and that's just a wipe down not a bath.
    Quote Originally Posted by erinherington View Post
    Usually they just sit there and sometimes slowly move around they definately don't try to get out, they have a upside down tub they can get on. I have one that doesn't like it so she never get's put in the bath tub. I don't fill the entire tub up they can go into and get out of the water if they want. My adults seem to enjoy it more than the smaller ones.

As Vexer pointed out, your snake does not enjoy a bath. None of them "like" it.

A bath is stressful for your snake. There is no need to do it - even if your snake has scars.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (01-29-2012),heathers*bps (01-30-2012),rabernet (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Again, as stated, snakes do not enjoy baths and causes unnecessary stress and can lead to other problems.
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

BPnet Senior Member MidSouthMorphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 833 Posts
    Really the only time to give them baths is right when you remove eggs from a female. Really to remove the scent so a female can begin feeding again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I'll sometimes do a supervised bathing when a snake gets really creative with their poop painting but more often than not a wet paper towel is enough to get them clean. As for recreational swimming, unless you have a (semi-)aquatic species, I don't think it's a good idea.

Thanks

Re: Does anyone else give snakes bath's?

Bathing a snake can cause them issue's with shedding. I washes out the oil between the old skin and new skin and will lead to poor sheds. Some snakes Balls will tolerate being in water but rarely is it necessary. Unless they decided to tail paint with there poo, are dehydrated, or have severly stuck shed I would not bath a snake
    Robie

2.0 Normal Ball Pythons Peek a Boo & Dezmond
    1.0 Black Pewter Ball Python Pepe Le Pewter
    0.1 Piebald Ball Python Slinky
    0.1 Siberian Husky Danadog
    2.5 Fancy Rat's Patch, Robin Hood, Lucky, Lucy, Bolt, Cinnamon, Patcheta
    1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    The only time for a bath is after a snake sheds and has some left over stuck skin or if it slithered through fecal matter/urine.
    And even for a stuck shed, I would rather use the damp pillow case method first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast