Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

2 members and 2,893 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

I think it's time to let her go...But how?

Sequoia's cancer is, according to multiple vets, likely spreading.
    She's on lots of meds--anti inflammatorys, painkillers, etc.
    She whines most of the days, can't sleep or get comfortable, won't eat her food anymore--she's lost so much weight...She's a big ol lab and her ribs are poking out like crazy.
    I said she would tell us when she's ready to go...Is she telling us?
    I can't say for sure, because my heart aches so badly it is clouding my judgement. It hurts. I can't watch her anymore. She hurts. It hurts me. When she walks, she jumps because she cannot use her back leg; it looks like she may have injured her other back leg, or maybe she's tired of using it. I dont know.
    She has a sadness in her eyes, she constantly wants to be around us. She will not leave, especially not my parents who she always loved the most....
    I think it might be time to let her go, put her down...but how do I do this? Where do I muster the courage and strength and convince myself it's for the best when my mind screams NO! You cannot go back! she'll be gone!
    And above all, I'm being selfish...but for good reasons. Animals are so brave, for they do not fear death; they look it in the face, and when it is time to go, they go. But I am a human, and I think too much, too often; death scares me more than anything else, it is the ultimate unknown. The end of all ends to what we know, to what makes sense, to what IS...
    how can I let her go to my worst fear? My nightmare? That which I do not understand and tell myself it's a good place when I dont KNOW??!?
    I dont know. I dont.
    What do I do? Puppy... don't go... please? at least not where Ican't go too?
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I'm so incredibly sorry for your struggle and hers as well. There is no easy way to do what you're contemplating but maybe your dog is offering you a way to find some solace and some belief in a Hereafter. If you look at the prospect you and she are facing, in her leaving this earth in a mortal form and freeing her of her earthly bounds in the context of her starting a journey for you to follow, maybe there is some comfort in that. Maybe it's that she's off the leash, running ahead of you on a walk to check the way, to make sure that nothing would threaten you and to make sure she gets to check and roll in all the smells before you can pull her off of them. Maybe she's starting the way, going first, to help ease your way when it's your time. She'll be there, to welcome you into the Hereafter in whatever context you believe, if indeed you do believe in something beyond this in the here and now. That's what I hope for, anyway, for me and mine and for you and she as well. I don't know your spiritual beliefs and am not trying to force mine on you in any way, shape or form but I'll pray for you and your puppy and that your heart's burden is eased and her pain is as well.

This saying isn't mine but it sums it up better than I ever could:

" She is your friend, your partner,
    your defender, your dog.
    You are her life, her love, her leader. She will
    be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat
    of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of
    such devotion." - Author Unknown
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

3. The Following User Says Thank You to youbeyouibei For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (01-27-2012)

Thanks

Re: I think it's time to let her go...But how?

You've said she "has a sadness in her eyes, she constantly wants to be around us...". I think she's looking to you for help, because she has complete trust in you. After all, you've always been there to help her with everything else, right? Why not this, too? It's heartbreaking, I know, but it sounds like it's time for you to help her with this final step.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoFride For This Useful Post:

mr.spooky (01-27-2012),shelliebear (01-27-2012)

Thanks
    I just don't know how to do it. I know she needs help but...boy. I never, ever thought when we got her that this would happen. Next time I think about buying a pet, I'll remember...it can mean more than just having fun. I always knew it would be, but it just never was at the front of my mind.
    I have to be strong for her, but it hurts so much.
    I love my dog...I dont want her to go... It's not fair we outlive them.
    But maybe, she is telling me it IS time for her to go .
    Wish I could go too, just to make sure it's safe.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Boy, I recently got an email about a storyof a family putting down a beloved family dog. The "writer" was a vet and said that what the little boy said changed how he looked at things. Wish i still had email, as i am probably not going to get this quite right. But something about the reason people live longer is because they need to learn how to live love and laugh. Dogs are born knowing how. Then had a list of things that people can learn from dogs like stretch before you get up, run to greet loved ones when they get home. It was really neat, anyhow, pets have a very special place in our hearts. You have a tough decision ahead of you. We recently went through this to, and I know how hard it can be, and how your heart just breaks. What you have to know is that there is nothing you can do to fix her, and if she has no quality of life, then it is time for you to free her from her pain. Only time will heal yours. She may leave your life, but never your heart. So sorry.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

mr.spooky (01-27-2012)

Thanks
    all i can say is be strong for her. i lost my dog last year and it was sooo hard, iv had him 80% of his life and he was my best friend, its still hard thinking of it but it has got easyer, they say time is a healer, reading this made it all come back so i know how your feeling, but from what u'v put it look's like she is saying its time.....

I wish you all the best to you and yours

Thanks

Sorry to hear you have to go through what you are. Animals ARE our best freinds. They are there for us in time of happiness, sadness, they don't talk back, and they just listen when you need to talk. I have a dog that I love like you do. She is a Shepard-Husky mix and withering away also. Slowly but losing her hearing and ambition, she is 13 years old. Even being a man, just reading your post brought tears to my eyes. Remember when you got your little puppy you made a commitment to provide that animal whatever it needs to live as it were a free soul. At this point, it sounds like she needs to be set free of her pain and bondage. I can only imagine how hard it is. Hope you can muster the strength and courage to do what is right for your little friend.
    Mike

Thanks
    Honestly, the best thing you CAN do for her at this point is just stay with her as you help her ease along to that final journey. At least with putting her to sleep, you can ensure that her passing is painless, and you can be there for it to hold her in your arms.

Remember, she loves you with all her heart, and it'll be the greatest comfort if her favorite people are there with her when she breathes her last.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Terry Pratchett

1.0 Dachshund/Pomeranian mix (Loki)

Thanks
    "You're running, you're running, you're running away; looking at me with those eyes, little puppy, do you want to play?
    Got those big brown eyes, those furry pokey ears
    The waggin tail, when you sense people are near
    The love in your heart, the kindness in your mind
    In every way, you are so right; why must we leave you behind?
    I cannot go with you
    I cannot keep you here
    I must let you free,
    but how will you forgive me?
    I couldn't take away your pain, the way you took away mine
    With your sweet doggie smile, your precious hugs and kisses
    I can't even give us more time.
    Can't make you happy, like you did with us
    Made our hearts swell so much with love, they could've burst.
    Now you're no longer running, running away
    You sit in one spot, you don't want to play
    Where is the Sequoia we brought home that day?
    Your eyes, they are sad
    Where did you go? Where are you going still?
    And why do you have to go at all?
    Now you're slipping and slipping and slipping away....
    I reach out to grab...
    and you still slip away...
    i dont want to let go.
    there's not much left.
    puppy, sweet puppy, if you must go
    i hope it brings your mind and heart rest....
    though i will have none...
    i cant finish it. i have a lump in my throat as big as the moon
    2.3 normal ball pythons

Thanks

I've followed this thread from the beginning and have posted to you my thoughts on the situation. I do think it is definitely time to do the right thing and put her out of her misery.

As I posted before, I too have had to go thru this but my first priority was to make sure that my dog had a decent quality of life without pain - if I couldn't be assured that it was the case then I knew it was time to do the right thing and have her put down.

Yes it is hard and very painful but you are her owner/best friend - you have to be strong and do what is needed. Please don't put this off if you truly believe she is in the sort of pain you have described - "you" must take care of her by helping her to pass into doggie heaven.

Please don't continue to put this off - I fear from your description that your dog is simply suffering because you can't bear the thought of losing her. Be strong and do the right thing.

My prayers go out to you and your pooch.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast